The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 3, 2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Shipman515

Sentry Safe Gun Safes

I'm finally in the market for a safe and was just wondering what the opinions are on a 500 dollar safe. My local academy sports has this safe for sale for 500 dollars. According to Sentry's website, MSRP is approximately 1100 dollars. I'm on a tight budget but really can't afford to have guns lying around my apartment for the taking if it happens to be broken into. I'm a college student and therefore, on a tight budget and this one seems to meet my demands. http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/p....si_p=CartView

Any input appreciated.

Last edited by Shipman515; November 4, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old November 3, 2009, 11:26 PM   #2
SA1911A1/45

I can not comment on Sentry safes. I was in Costco yesterday and they have a nice little fire proof safe for about $500. It is a Winchester gun safe. I believe the weight was 500#. More weight, harder to move. With guns etc in it, it weighs that much more.
Old November 3, 2009, 11:43 PM   #3
cloudcroft

I have found that within the various pricing brackets, most brands of "safes" (actualy, it's an RSC) are pretty similar, so $500 will pretty much get you the same basic product. Consequently, just get one you think is sturdy enough for you and seems to be the best build quality, thickest steel in its class....at the best price for your budget (in this case $500).

Sure, people are going to tell you to spend more $$ on a better "safe" but like you said, just get what you can afford. And as you have already mentioned, a "safe" is a whole lot better than just trying to hide guns in some closet or under the bed.

The Sentry GS1459E will be fine for your needs, although the one with the combination lock (GS1459C) instead of the electronic lock would be better for a couple f reasons, (1) because it'll be cheaper and (2) mechanical locks seem to be more durable/reliable.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/p....si_p=CartView

And you'll save money if you pick it up yourself...that's one expense most people don't think of when they buy safes: MOVINTG IT! The really heavy safes costs hundreds of dollars to move, EVERY time you need to move them, so this Sentry you and another guy can move yourself and not pay big bucks for delivery.

If you're living in an apartment, you might not be able to drill holes into the floor/wall and bolt it down, so try to load the safe up not only with guns, but with heavy items to make it harder to move by potential thieves.

Good luck,

-- John D.

P.S. Also get one of those small Sentry fireproof "document chests" (carried by Walmart, Office Depot, etc.) you can put important papers in, and put the chest in the bottom of your larger Sentry. They have several models, here's one:

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/p....si_p=CartView

-- JD
Old November 4, 2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Shipman515

The only problem with the link you posted is that its 1/2 the weight of the one I'm looking at.

However the serial number you listed is the same as the one I posted, but with a combination lock so I'm assuming thats what you meant.

Although I do live in an apartment, my parents own it so I can drill holes in the floor to secure the safe.

Thanks for the advice.
Old November 4, 2009, 12:18 AM   #5
cloudcroft

You're welcome...

Yes, I meant the same model you named but the one with the combination lock. The link SHOULD be the same product (except for the type of locks) but apparently isn't.

And also yes, they SHOULD -- electronic or combination lock models -- weigh the same if they have the same model # digits.

See if Academy has the "C" model (and that it's 397 lbs.)...it SHOULD clearly be cheaper. If not, maybe they can order it.

-- John D.
Old November 4, 2009, 07:44 AM   #6
UtahHunting

I own a sentry safe. I bought it on sale at Cabelas for $300. I didn't have a large budget to spend so this is the one I bought. It works great for my needs although it is not fireproof. However, it is much more solid than just a cabinet. I have no complaints.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:39 AM   #7
JWT

I have one Sentry safe. Not one of their fireproof models, but it is solid enough that I'm confortable that it will keep the grandkids away from my guns when they visit. Mine has the combination lock on it and has never been a problem of any kind (other than being too small as I accumulate a few more guns). I bought it primarily to lock the guns up when the kids are here.
Old November 4, 2009, 10:16 AM   #8
cloudcroft

Yes, they are great for that.

I have a small Sentry 10-gun RSC (Model G1055C "gun safe") I use exclusively for ammo storage. The interior dimensions of the RSC are almost perfect for three 30-caliber GI ammo cans per "layer" in there, along with a few .50-caliber ammo cans here and there. Get that thing filled up with ammo cans -- plus the lead ingots/wheelweights in ammo cans I use for bullet-casting -- and it gets pretty heavy to move. PLUS, being small and not wanting to bore holes in the walls or concrete floors of a house I do not own -- the Sentry is bolted (on one side) to my much larger (and heavier at 980 pounds empty) Liberty Presidential 25...it's like one big safe that way and really a large item to move, let alone heavy.

Don't underestimate thieves, however, as they can move things you thought couldn't be moved...so do whatever you can to bolt it down, weigh it down, or, if you have 2 or more smaller safes, bolt them TOGETHER to make it really bulky (and heavy)...that's about all you can do.

As we all know, given enough time they can get into any RSC or safe, but what we're talking about here is to keep kids or the "gone in 60-seconds" thieves at bay. These RSCs will do that.

Just don't leave prying/drilling/cutting tools lying around that the street-trash will use to TRY to open your safe...lock up such tools also if you can.

These RSCs -- even though the steel is not very thick, MAYBE 1/8" or so -- are better than the "gun cabinets" of thinner metal (like gym lockers), so I'd avoid the latter and get at least a RSC.

The hassle we go through because of damn thieves...

-- John D.
Old November 4, 2009, 07:10 PM   #9
guns and more

Any safe is better than no safe. Often these forums get bogged down with details such as how the safe is tested, what gauge steel, etc.
Get one. Use it, you can always get better later. Don't let your firearms get stolen.