The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 24, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1
300magman

Help with a new stock

I have an old 30.06 WWI era rifle that needs a new stock, its been sportarized (or so I believe the term is) and doesn't require the full barrel length wooden stock and doesn't have the big old "volly sights" anymore.

I can't tell you the make or much of anything about it, as there are virutally no stampings on the rifle of any kind (and I've looked everywhere) The only thing on the gun is a faded emblem that looks roughly like a midevil shield with a three point crown shaped top. There is a big one with a smaller one inside it and inside that are the letters BSA.

From what I can gather looking at old rifles on the internet it appears virtually identical to a model of 1917 30.06 rifle minus the extended stock and sights of course.

Does anyone know where I might find a "drop in" stock for this that will fit WELL....or even a stock that will be "close enough" if I can glass bed it? I can't find a thing on the internet or locally.
Old September 24, 2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Scorch

Cabela's, Boyds, Richards Microfit Stocks.
Old September 24, 2008, 06:11 PM   #3
300magman

Is there a particular name for this old gun that I should be looking for....I checked cabela's and Boyds too a while back I believe and I didn't see anything jump out at me.
I'll be taking another look though just to be sure.
Old September 25, 2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Scorch

Look for stocks for an Enfield. Since those may be getting a bit scarce, call the folks at Richards Microfit Stocks and talk with them about a stock for your Enfield. They can make you one in wood or laminate.