The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1
hillbille

browning metal?

just got done refinishing wood on a bl22 for grandson someday, he's only 2, was wondering if the metal in the barrel bands is an alloy or not, they were scratched up real bad i removed blue and tried to reblue but the blueing won't take it just wipes back off. been at it for 2 days. any suggestions on how to get the high gloss black finish back on them, they look bad next to new wood and the touched up barrel.
Old March 14, 2008, 05:11 PM   #2
George R

Mystery Metal

Hi. Stick a magnet on it. if its carbon steel (blueable) it will attract. If a slight pull, it's probably stainless. If no pull, pot metal. You can clean it real good and paint it, or use a bake on gun finish.
Old March 14, 2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Six Shooter Steve

I would say their alloy. If its gonna be for your grandson, and you dont mind spending a couple bucks, send it out and get it powder coted. That will stay nice for him to shoot for years.

{There is no problem that can't be solved by the use of high explosives}
Old March 15, 2008, 11:06 AM   #4
ocharry

ya might try DURA-COAT,,,,they make a starter kit for around $50,,,,i used it on a HK i built,,,,darnedest paint i ever saw,,,,came out really nice too.....

probably way more than you need,,,,but maybe you could use up the rest of the stuff on something else,,,,,or get something else going and do them all at the same time

they have lots of colors to choose from,,,,the HK black was a perfect match for me

just a thought and my .02

ocharry