The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 2002, 12:48 PM   #1
glock glockler

Any chance we'll see a CAWS?

Now that is the ultimate combat shotgun, but I don't see many anywhere. I know the obvious reason will bemore stupid gun control laws, but what specifically is preventing them from being imported or manufactured here? Is it technically an "assault weapon", even if it was semi-automaic only?

Thanks

-Samuel Adams

"Give me ten Jesuits and I shall conquer the world"

-Stalin
Old December 15, 2002, 12:42 PM   #2
mons-meg

Is the CAWS named specifically on the List of Evil Guns? If so, it's the same reason the Franchi SPAS-12 is banned while the Benellis are not. The Franchi looks scary.

I could be totally wrong on this...
Old December 15, 2002, 02:43 PM   #3
Andrew Wyatt

it's also not made anymore by HK, uses special ammo, and was not accepted by anyone. only like 10 prototypes were built.
Old December 15, 2002, 07:43 PM   #4
glock glockler

Although Olin did manufacture special ammo for it, it functioned fine with convention ammo as well. No one accepted it but I also don't think it was offered to the American public, I wonder if there were no legal restrictions preventing it's import or manufacture, why could we not get our hands on these?

If HK is not making them, maybe they'd sell the rights to an American manufacturer and we'll get a semiautomatic version for us.

-Samuel Adams

"Give me ten Jesuits and I shall conquer the world"

-Stalin