The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 7, 2008, 09:38 AM   #26
Silver-Fox

Where to buy Delrin & size

Found a web site to buy sheets of Delrin in different sizes.
Anyone know what thinkness works best and where to buy local ?
Old April 7, 2008, 02:20 PM   #27
Muhler

I dont know how thick it needs to be, but my friend runs a tool and dye shop and said he would take a look at it for me. He will probably size it out and, if he does, Ill post the specs on here. Dont expect them before next week, however.
Old April 11, 2008, 06:22 PM   #28
trapper john

Buffer material for Fox- Demro Tac-1 Carbine

Welcome new members Muhler and Silver Fox; Delrin ,as a suitable material for the bolt buffer isnt really a wise choice-- it has absolutely NO flexible shock absorbing capabilities. A better choice is a semi -flexible polymer material that will help absorb and disperse the shock of the rearward traveling bolt-- This will also help to reduce felt recoil AND is LOTS easier on the weapon internals. Just so happens I have made up some of the aforementioned flexible buffers and would be happy to send you one or several-- I hand cut and fit each on into one of my own Fox Carbines to make sure each one fits and functions OK. Each one I ship includes installation instructions and sketches of the weapons reciever area to assist anyone who might have any questions about the proper installation etc. At present They are $35 each which includes all shipping and postage to your address. Hope this info can be of help. Just leave me a message through Firing Line and somehow ,through the fowled-up magic of modern elctronics, I will attempt to make contact with you. It might not be really fast as I have a steam powered pre-50,s computer. Be safe and Good Shooting.
Old April 19, 2008, 09:30 AM   #29
The Gun Shop

Demro/Foxco TAC-1 carbine in 45acp

I got this 6 years ago and started this thread. It is in the factory carry case which I think was an option at the time. Since then it has been fired 1 time. It works fine but has one problem it is missing the extractor. So when you fire it the case just comes out from the blowback and does not go very far. When I had my shop the gunsmith was going to make the part but never got to it ( you know how that is, my stuff came last LOL ). A good smith could make the part. I have since retired and got a new boat and am fishing on the ocean whenever I can. I have been selling guns that I no longer need/want.
Do you think there would be much interest in this? I also have 3 or 4 new mags to go with it.

Last edited by The Gun Shop; April 19, 2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old April 19, 2008, 10:07 AM   #30
.351winchester

I might be interested, shoot me a PM with ballpark price.
Old April 19, 2008, 10:26 PM   #31
The Gun Shop

Demro/Foxco TAC-1 carbine

PM sent
Old April 19, 2008, 11:24 PM   #32
.351winchester

Thanks. If you still have it in a couple months, good chance I'll grab it.
Unless you got a Volunteer Arms Commando Carbine in the 400. range, I could get that one much sooner (there were 3 of them I knew of online for years, all the sudden they all got bought recently). This type of gun is a low priority compared to others (have to entirely rebuild my collection, and this is just for a plinker, standby HD, maybe a post-.22 trainer for my little guy when he gets big enough) but as a semi auto with hi cap mag, need to pick one up the sooner the better, I'm afraid.
Old June 29, 2008, 05:04 AM   #33
SLANTNOSE1

Foxco/Demro/Tri-C guns

I have been noticing also the lack of interest about this entire series. I even thought of buying a couple of them when they first were marketed. They had a fairly inexpensive cost, even up the Deluxe Packages that were available with them. The problem with them not storing and keeping in and as new type of condition, is one of its major faults. Another fault that would have to be considered when selling one these old weapons, is the problem of finding the correct replacement parts to make the repairs. I don't think that I would feel really wonderful knowing that I had one, but all I could do with it was to make it a wall hanger. And this would be a large waste of money. But... that is just me. I don't particularly like the only thing that I could do with it was to stick it on a wall somewhere. The cost of it just wouldn't sit right, having an item that cost as much as they are now trying to sell them for.
Old September 29, 2008, 03:53 PM   #34
susmiester

Foxco arghhhh

Just purchased a foxco very low number gun from a dealer does anyone no where i can get a new sear for this gun or full trigger assembly thanks [email protected]
Old September 29, 2008, 03:54 PM   #35
susmiester

Foxco argghhhhh

Just bought this gun anyone know where I can get a new trigger assembly and sear for this gun thanks Jeff
Old March 31, 2009, 06:11 AM   #36
trader4play

Fox carbine. In need of buffer.Also manual.

Hi, I just recently bought a Demro/ Fox 9mm carbine and found out that it is missing the buffer pad. I am also looking for a manual for this gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Trapper John, if you still have any buffers for sale, I would be very interested in buying one from you.Thanks trader4play [email protected]

Last edited by trader4play; March 31, 2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: added e-mail
Old May 4, 2009, 02:19 AM   #37
cobra983

Fox Carbine 45

Hi, I am in need of a barrel in the 45 caliber. I have the one with the combination lock . Any leads would be greatly appricated. I am open to all offers, barrel, parts guns. Thanks for all help.
Old August 6, 2009, 09:50 PM   #38
shades1894

TRI-C Corp Fox Carbine .45 Available-or-Help Restore?

Hello, new here first post. I remember seeing one of these as a kid in the late 70's. Just bought one from a guy who inherited it and wanted it for myself (always wanted an "open bolt" semi). Any hoo, can't get much help with some of the missing parts (ejector, recoil spring & guide rod, charging handle, and [I]of course[I] the buffer should be replaced). Some parts could be easily made, some available (buffer & ejector). This is s/n 0004XX. Has a low profile see-thru scope mount and old Bushnell Banner 1.4-4X scope nicely mounted on the upper. Any advice.......or offers??

Last edited by shades1894; August 6, 2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old September 4, 2009, 07:24 PM   #39
45autoshooter

Demro-fox buffers

Hey guys! I have one of these and made a buffer out of hard rubber that was the same thickness as the old buffer. My Dad bought it new in the late 70s and I inherited it. shoots great! Just have to hold it tight so the bolt doent throw your aim off. On a sunny day with the sun beside or behind you you can see hardball rounds going down range like fast angry bees, wwaayy cool. Peace, 45autoshooter:
Old September 6, 2009, 07:42 PM   #40
Silver-Fox

Welcome to this old post......I have one of the original Fox Carbines with the combo lock that say THINK on the back.
I haven't shot it in over 30 years. I had to replace the buffer.....one of the guys on this forum made them up.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:12 PM   #41
Silver-Fox

Recoil buffers

I believe Trapper John was the member that was amking the recoil buffers and may have a copy of the manual.
Old October 20, 2009, 04:11 PM   #42
trapper john

Fox buffers

I no longer make the buffers for the fox carbine-- Like Paul Harvey used to say--" and heres the REST of the story" I just found out something interesting AND disconcerting about the proscess of making any kind of parts for firearms and I would like to pass this info along to all who visit Firing Line-- I just read an article in a publication called Small Arms Review by Moose Lake Publishing Tele (702)565-2926-- It is in the October issue Vol.13 No.1--( a very informative and interesting magazine) The article is titled ITAR? What in the world is ITAR! by Jason M. Wong-- It describes an existing Federal agency put in place by the passing of several laws - The first being the Arms Control And Disarmament Act which became law on 9-26-61-- The second is the Arms Export Control Act passed in 1976--Arising from these laws is a Federal regulation that governs the manufacture and export of defense articles from the U.S.-- This in turn contains a "munitions list"-- Catagory No.1 of this munitions list includes all firearms components parts and accessories and is intended to be "all encompassing"---It states basically that if a person makes or otherwise "manufactures" ANY part or accessory for ANY firearm whether or not the part is "exported or not or whether or not it is just produced in your home workshop or on your garage drillpress the Feds consider you to be in the "business " of manufacturing defense related items -- At this point , to be "legal" and to not incur the wrath of this State Dept. agency you are "required to register with with what is termed the Ditectorate OF Defense Trade Controls DDTC--This is all per ITAR section122.1(a) The present registration fee per year is $2250 (and thats the cheapest- it goes up from there)- So-- it seems pretty impossible that if you want to help out your fellow firearms enthusiasts by making a small part such as a buffer that a Federal agency has the power to step in and prohibit your efforts under threat of Federal indictment IF you dont pay them the $2250 per year to produce a couple of seemingy harmless parts--but thats the law folks--- I believe that the passage of these laws and the convoluted bureaucratic mess that they have caused are another case of unintended consequences-- So the offshoot of this whole mess is that I will no longer be making buffers for the Fox_Demro Carbine- There is already a wealth of information in the Firing Line site for you to be able to make your own buffers or to have a good gunsmith make one for you--Ihope the people in charge of Firing Line will let me include the foregoing information in this post as I feel that it is information that Could serve to save someone from needless trouble with our friendly Federal regulators

Last edited by trapper john; October 21, 2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Add important information
Old October 20, 2009, 04:34 PM   #43
Skans

Trapper - can you possibly post a picture of one of your buffers and/or plans on how to make them? I've been interested in one for quite some time.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:53 AM   #44
Silver-Fox

ITAR section122.1(a) The present registration fee per year is $2250

Trapper John.....thank you for this info but if your interpretation of this law is true then every small gunsmith would be in violation of this law when ever they did a repair that required them to make a part or modify a part to fit your firearm. Most every small accessory maker (sighs,springs,trigger bars,screws,grips,ect..) would also be in violation of this law.

Last edited by Silver-Fox; October 23, 2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 23, 2009, 09:51 AM   #45
Baratacus

except that a gunsmith has the coin to pay $2,000 a year for the license to do this. It would be like needing a HVAC license to work on heating and AC units. Not practical for the home repairman to get an HVAC certification, but if you had a HVAC buisness it would be worth the money to be certified.

Now Trapper John could sell you some rubber anti-skid feet for your step ladder that just happen to look a lot like the buffer for a Dremco Tac-1....
Old November 20, 2009, 05:56 AM   #46
phagar

The ITAR only comes into play if you are building registrable components ie. receivers or complete guns .Any other component can be made without license either BATFE or ITAR.
Old November 20, 2009, 06:29 AM   #47
Baratacus

Catagory No.1 of this munitions list includes all firearms components parts and accessories and is intended to be "all encompassing"---It states basically that if a person makes or otherwise "manufactures" ANY part or accessory for ANY firearm.

I know that this includes bolts, stocks, triggers, and clips, even on firearms that don't require registration. (varies from state to state) This is a federal law and isn't governed by local and state allowances.
Old November 20, 2009, 09:43 AM   #48
phagar

This law was in existence when I entered business in 1983 and to date I have had no problems with it .I believe it to be a lot like any BATFE regulation which only applies if they want it to .It is a lot like the arms export business .If you are exporting arms to countries that are in US favor everything goes smoothly but if a country or regime that is not favorable than it may or may not happen .One needs to pay attention to the winds of change .

Last edited by phagar; November 20, 2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old November 21, 2009, 06:51 PM   #49
Baratacus

I'm sure that the law is only enforced when and if they get around to it, and it most likely is more closely monitored for people that are producing unregistered weapons for sale or distribution, but the fact that I would be breaking the law and could face federal charges and huge fines would definitely deter me from infringing on it for a handfull of one-off parts. I was contacted by them for developing a GPS guided model rocket. I hadn't even considered producing them or selling them, it was just a project I was brainstorming with another guy for his remote controled model submarine. It probably didn't help matters that the guy was from sweden. So yeah, they do keep an eye out... If you aren't registered, then you shouldn't sell anything over the internet, that's for sure.
Old November 21, 2009, 07:14 PM   #50
MMcfpd

There's a scan of the manual, such as it is, as well as a snap of a Delrin replacement buffer on the first page of this thread.