The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
nandoaqui

RCBS X-Dies = no trimming. Any good?

(I searched for "x-die" and "x-dies", but the results were 1,000's of threads containing the word die or dies. Not much help.)

Although they have been around for a few years, I just learned about RCBS X-Dies a few days ago. I am very tempted to buy a sizing die for .223 Rem, small base, for an AR15.

According to RCBS:
Quote:
X-Dies
Trim the case once - never trim again! The X-Sizer Die looks like a regular Full Length Sizer Die. Inside, the die features a specially designed mandrel with an expander ball and decapping pin attached. The mandrel is what the X-Die is all about. The patented X-Sizer Die eliminates the need for repeated trimming after initial trim of .020" off the maximum case length to standardize the case. The X-Die doesn't shorten the length of the case: the mandrel reduces the growth rate as the case grows as a result of the case mouth contacting the mandrel during sizing. Because of an extremely close tolerance between the mandrel and die neck wall, the neck wall of the case odes not thicken as the case length is pushed back. Cases repeatedly sized in the X-Die will initially grow a few thousandths of an inch, then stabilize below the maximum case length with no discernable loss of accuracy or case life.
(continues) If you already own a regular set of dies for the chosen caliber, order only the X-Full Length Sizer Die, as you won't need to purchase another Seater Die.
Has anyone here had any experience with the X-Dies?

Thanks!
Old February 7, 2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Steve in PA

Yes, they work as advertised. I use them for reloading .223/5.56 and .30/06 (M4 Bushy and M1 Garand). After the initial trimming I have not had to re-trim after several firings.
Old February 7, 2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Ken O

They work great. I have them in .223 for my Service rifle, 30-06 for the Garand matches, and .260 Rem for my Long Range match rifle. I don't miss the trimming at all.
Old February 7, 2007, 09:34 PM   #4
hhrgprez

x-dies

I wanted to know whether you are getting longer case life when using this die when reloading for ar-15. Do they retard the case stretching down the bottom neareer to the case head?
Old February 7, 2007, 11:39 PM   #5
Crosshair

Hmmm, if they increase case life alot it could save alot of money considering the increase in brass prices.
Old February 8, 2007, 12:58 AM   #6
ziggy222

i bought them for 22-250 and 30-06 and i set them up perfect and all i ended up with was dented casings.i even cut the casings shorter and aloud them to eventually grow after many uses until they met up with the dies setting.as soon as they got long enough to touch the part of the die that prevents stretching,they dented.i sold them on ebay and don't miss them