The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2010, 04:31 PM   #26
crimsondave

You can load about any pistol with Bullseye.
Old February 19, 2010, 05:49 PM   #27
gandog56

Same thing with Unique.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:04 PM   #28
rbernie

Quote:
Also Unique is said to be dirty
It also meters like crap unless you get above 8 to 10 grains per charge.
Unique meters quite well out of my Lee AutoDisk. It is a bit dirty, but it's a sooty dirt (easily wiped off) and not a grainy dirt.
Old February 19, 2010, 10:11 PM   #29
Rig Magician

Thanks guys, There is still alot to chose from. So far it seems Unique, Bullseye, W231( I do belive it is the same as HP38 Correct?) and WST has been recommended more. ALso in the mix is universal and WSF. What I am looking for now and I have been searching on here regular to see which one meters better and fills the case better to avoid an overcharge. I will have a powder cop or lock out die and also be watching this closely since I am just starting. I would hate to detroy my gun or myself. Most guys say Unique does not meter well from the LNL AP, It seems WST does meter well but is easier to double charge if I reading that correct. I still have more searching to do.
Thanks,
Mark
Old February 19, 2010, 10:55 PM   #30
jerryp01

I have always been a big fan of Hodgdon Powders. Universal and HP38 should take care of 9MM or 45 ACP. Also use a lot of Bullseye but it is so dirty. Hodgdon powders seem to burn a lot cleaner than some other powders.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:18 PM   #31
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
What I am looking for now and I have been searching on here regular to see which one meters better and fills the case better to avoid an overcharge.
If this is the case, then HP38 (yes, it's also packaged under W231) is my first choice for you if you only want one powder for both cartridges. It's been around for some time. Clean burning. Fills the cases relatively well. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Easy to acquire.

Unique, Clays, Universal, etc. are OK. Just not my first choice.

Power Pistol and TiteGroup are excellent powders. However, these two are at the bottom of my list of recommendation due to higher felt recoil for the former and very poor case filling for the latter. Once you get the hang of everything and ready to experiment a bit more, these would fit the bill in their own right.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 19, 2010, 11:52 PM   #32
Rig Magician

Thanks guys for the help. I think I may have found what I am wanting then in HP38 or W231. A powder that meters well and fills the case well, plus it also has less recoil that factory ammo. that should held shave some time of at my next shoot, if I have some loaded by then. I am not sure yet on that. We will see. I don't have much time of this time and I have to finish a fence and build my bench. So I will be busy. I also plan on going to our hunting property and chace some thunder chickens!!!
Mark
Old February 20, 2010, 12:47 PM   #33
Edward429451

Yeah, 231 or Unique. It always makes me smile when Unique is being talked about and everyone starts putting it down for being dirty. Yeah, when you shoot your gun, it gets dirty. So what? Unique is a fantastic powder for many uses and excells so much in performance that to denigrate it for being dirty is absurd and implies laziness. What, you don't clean your gun if you use a different powder?

Don't be short sighted about the Unique because it burns dirty.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:12 PM   #34
aerod1

For 45 acp I load light with Bullseye. I don't load 9 mm.........yet.
I love Bullseye because it is economical and seems to work well in my 45 acp loads for my 1911 pistols. However it is a little dirty but if you clean your guns, as you should, that's no problem.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old February 20, 2010, 01:25 PM   #35
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
What, you don't clean your gun if you use a different powder?
I can definitely see you point and humor in it, Edward. But there's dirty and there's DIRTY. When shooting powders such as Unique, it just covers itself all over everywhere in every nook and cranny of my guns. It's a sooty mess and takes a bit more effort and time to clean. Granted, when I go to the range, my guns usually get subjected to several hundred rounds. Also, the Unique I was using had a lot date back in the late 90's. Recipes could have changed since then....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 20, 2010, 03:29 PM   #36
Don P

Hodgdon titegroup gets my vote. Unique is good but I have had zero success with getting it to meter with any consistency which Lee has published on there web site as something that cannot be done with Unique. I take it it must be true other wise Alliant would be all over Lees like a cheap suit.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.