The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2010, 06:16 PM   #1
captainwinger

New to reloading

I'm new to reloading and am looking for a good 3006 recipe that is fast and accurate. I'm shooting a Browning A-Bolt. I'm looking to get maximum hunting performance out to 300 - 400 yards with 150 gr. Factory ammo seems to be slooooooooooow and all over beyond 200. I ran a few of my buddies hand loads through and was getting consistent groups at 400. Unfortunately, his reloader reloads for high end people and makes ammo that's above and beyond what i'm willing to spend on bullets... I'm hoping someone can either give me a great starting point or a great recipe for the gun I'm using... Again, I would like speed, but long range accuracy is my objective...
Any help will be greatly appreciated....
Old February 16, 2010, 06:24 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

i use a 150gr fmj bullet and imr 4064 powder.... i actually load mine above listed charge SO I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS LOAD.. but ... i use 53 grains of powder... but my bullet lenghts are long also
Old February 16, 2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Captainwinger,

Welcome to the forum.

You are quite correct that hand loads can be made to be a good deal more precise than factory loads. After all, you get to inspect them individually at every step in the process. Be aware that 150 grain bullets are typically a little short on ballistic coefficient for best wind bucking at 400 yards, but they will still get there just fine. The A-bolt's 10" twist will shine with longer bullets, like the 185 through 210 grain Berger VLDs. The short 150's are a little overstabilized for maximum accuracy, but if you get a good brand from a company that also makes match bullets, you will do alright. I think the Hornady 150 grain Interbond would be a good combination of economy, accuracy, and ballistic coefficient from that weight.

You need to realize that every gun is an individual to some extent. Your best bet is to develop a load specifically for your gun. I recommend you read through Dan Newberry's OCW site for a good systematic load development method. He has some recipes included, but note that it is important to match the brass brand he uses (Winchester) and the primer he lists, as well as the bullet. Don't assume all bullets of the same weight will work equally. Difference in shape and jacket thickness can change pressure and barrel time.

A decent recipe for maximum performance with good accuracy is the 58 grain load of RL17 on the Alliant load data pages. They use a Federal case and primer and a Speer bullet. I would use the Federal 210 or 210M primer, but Winchester brass and the Hornady Interbond bullet seated to 3.285" as the objective. Like any other load combining new components, though, you should start with the charge reduced 10% and work up, watching for pressure signs. Follow Dan Newberry's round robin method for the work up steps and see if you don't get an accuracy sweet spot around that load?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 17, 2010, 05:22 PM   #4
captainwinger

Thank you for your replies.. I'm learning tons just from listening and reading! One question I have is about the 150 gr. being too short for long range. Would it be smart for me to start with a heavier bullet?
Like I said, I'm totally green at reloading rifle ammo. After meeting and shooting next to McWhorter through a good friend, I now have a huge interest in rifles and ammo... I never imagined everything involved until I sat down and watched those guys dial a new 22.250 rifle in out to 600 yrds. and the dirrerence the different loads and barrel temp made.. Instant addiction!! Unfortunately, I can't afford one of his gorgeous rifles!! After being dead on at 400 with his ammo, then being waaaaay off after going back to Remmington core-locks I know I can be close to where I want with what I have with quality ammo... I have several callibers to tinker with but decided to learn with my favorite gun... Now the only issue is that i wish all of the new reloading toys made momma smile as much as they do me... When she asked why I ordered the new book I told her cuz unclenick told me I had to have it.... He also said, don't worry about it and git ur azz back in the kitchen.... Good thing she doesn't know my password... ;-))
Thanks again for your help... I truly appreciate it....
Old February 17, 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
qwman68

I reload 155gr. Sierra match to 2900 fps. The last time i went and shot they shot a .80in. Group, and i colud have done better.my max shooting range is 400 yrds.