The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2016, 01:28 AM   #1
1940izhevsk

Remington 870 Ejection issue

I was cleaning my Remington 870 Wingmaster, and after doing a function check with some home made "dummy shells" (spent shells with the crimps cut off), I noticed an issue where it would extract the shell just fine, but the ejector wouldn't kick the shell out of the firearm. Usually either a stove pipe or the shell doing a 180 and falling onto the elevator. My first guess is a weak ejector, although I certainly hope it's not something worse.
Old July 5, 2016, 03:29 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

The purpose of the ejector spring on the 870 is to ensure the ejector moves into the right place to hit the base of the extracted shell. How much force the shell hits the ejector with (and how hard it gets thrown out) depends on how forcefully YOU work the action.

First, make sure you put things back together correctly. (sounds like a no brainer but you'd be surprised how often it is the culprit in malfunctions after cleaning)

Second, make sure there is nothing (foreign matter) restricting movement.

Then, operate the action consistently. See if you still have the problem.

It COULD be a weak spring, but I doubt it. IT could be your EXTRACTOR (or its spring) IT is possible for an extractor to pull the round out of the chamber, but not hold it securely enough for the ejector to kick it out of the action. Same drill, check its put together right, check there is nothing hindering movement.

IF it is weak springs, the spring(s) are cheap, BUT while the extractor spring is a simple replacement, the ejector/ spring has a rivet, and replacement should be done by a gunsmith.

My best guess, based on what you describe is a problem with the EXTRACTOR, letting go of the shell as it hits the ejector, so the empty does not pivot out of the receiver properly. Can't say for sure, long distance, but that would be my guess.
Old July 5, 2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Pat T

Had this problem once with mine, too much use of WD40 as a gun lube before I knew better. The extractor was stuck because of the goo.
Old July 6, 2016, 02:01 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

What does it do with a live shell? It do this before you gave the bath? Any crud left anywhere near the bolt?
Really isn't likely to be 'weak' springs or parts. Springs do not lose temper from being used. "Weak parts don't just happen. There'd have been previous issues. Incorrectly reassembled though...
Mind you, there shouldn't be any reason to remove the ejector or any other bolt parts for normal cleaning.
However, like 44 AMP says, short stroking can cause stove pipes.
Old July 6, 2016, 11:05 PM   #5
BigJimP

Spent shells --- unless they've been "resized" properly -- might be the issue.....

Get some Azoom snap caps or use live shells to check it / and rack it firmly !

A thorough detailed cleaning might be in order...as well.
Old July 8, 2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Destructo6

The 870 ejector should make a nice "twang" when plucked (gun field stripped). If it makes a dull twang, it mean the ejector rivet is loose and needs to be replaced.

Keep all of them clean.
Old July 8, 2016, 12:00 PM   #7
Virginian

The 870 action does not even need the ejector spring to function properly. There is a step/notch on the ejector that will eject the empties if the action is opened briskly all the way. The added the spring to help with people who like to work that action slowly and watch, or for proper operation at odd angles.
Old July 16, 2016, 02:43 PM   #8
1940izhevsk

Turns out it wasn't an issue, I went trap shooting later that day, ejected spents just fine. 2 rounds of trap, no hang-ups whatsoever. Gave the ejector spring a little Rem-Oil, just to add some aid.

Tags
ejector , issue , remington 870