The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 2017, 09:49 AM   #26
Rifletom

A lot of the semi-auto's mentioned do have a long track record, other than the V3. I bought a Mossberg 930 DC[Duck commander] from Bud's about a year and a half ago. Had real good reviews on that particular model, so bought it. Glad I did for a number of reasons. It has been very reliable, fits ME well and zero issues. And they now cost #785.00 at Bud's. I paid $533.00 OTD. You don't hear much about these, other than the "tactical" models, which seem to have issues. Mine works like intended. Light loads, heavy loads, doesn't matter. Perhaps a diamond in the rough.
Old November 22, 2017, 06:06 PM   #27
darkgael

My favorite semi-auto has been perfectly reliable. I have hunted the uplands with it and shot one of my first 25 straights with it in 16 yard Trap.
The gun...a Winchester model 59 winlite barrel and all.
Old November 22, 2017, 10:38 PM   #28
Auto5

My first 20 gauge Auto5 has been good for 45 years so far. The 12 gauge I picked up a few years ago is even older, but still going strong.
Old November 23, 2017, 02:14 AM   #29
DHart

Surprised no one has mentioned the VersaMax yet. Great design that is exceptionally reliable AND exceptionally soft-shooting. This is easily the softest shooting 12 ga. I’ve ever shot. I have the Tactical model and it runs like a raped ape. ;-)

Handles light 2 3/4” target loads up through 3 1/2” magnums with equal reliability. I suspect the Remington V3 shares the same reliable action as the VersaMax.

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/a...a-max-tactical

Last edited by DHart; November 23, 2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old November 25, 2017, 01:50 PM   #30
Creek Henry

Sx3

The SX3 is a work horse. I asked some duck hunting guides which gun they liked. These guys have seen every make and model of gun ever made. The consensus was that the sx2-3 were the most reliable with duck loads.

Mine has only had issues with loads that we're too light.
Old November 26, 2017, 06:25 AM   #31
Husqvarna

people talk about reliability

almost any gun is reliable nowadays, especially with hunting loads if it is cleaned/oiled

the problem arises with dirty guns and target loads

benellis are always reliable thou never mind how dirty