The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2006, 07:18 PM   #1
ciunnc

870 Wingmaster

Hi all, I have being long time reader, first time posting, I am writing from Australia.

I have just recently purchased a used 870 wingmaster pump action shotgun, and with the serial number, i send off an email to Remington asking about its manufactured date, and of course remington customer service promptly replied within 48hrs, I was told it was made in 1976 (i was only born in 1977)....

A little bit of the background of the gun law that we have in Australia. All pump action and semi auto shotgun have been banned to the general public only two types of permit can be issued type 1. club sponsored permit for specified competition (IPSC 3 gun is what i do, clay shooting -if you have any proven disabilty that stops you from using a traditional break open O/U or SS.)
type 2. if you are a primary producers (farmer, large land owner) and professional shooter both for the reason of vermint control.

In any case you are allowed one and only one of the shotgun in this category (Cat C -restricted firearm).however you can buy as many of the two shot break open or single shot bolt action or level action as you like. yeah public here thinks they are less dangerous, or at least the govt does anyway.

Back to my 870, i love anything old, so i was fascinated about the shotgun being made in 1976 and older then me, this gun will be my ipsc shooting gun and of course be upgraded appropriatly with the "go-fast" bits,, i was going to turn into a tactical style shotgun for comp use, shorten the barrel from 20" to 18" chamber for choke, new sights,, pistol grip etc etc.

and my question is.... will the permenant modification like cutting the barrel down and rechamber for chokes and maybe drill and tape for sight....reduce its historical value or was there no historical value in such a gun anyway? i am not sure about such things, keep in mind i cant get another gun for shooting and one for just the safe, so this is it, it will have to do both...

advice please.
Regards
Old September 13, 2006, 07:34 PM   #2
timothy75

Theres not really any historical value for that gun yet. You could always buy another barrel for it also. Good luck
Old September 13, 2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Rimrod

Right, there were so many of them made they don't have much of a historical interest unless it was a special edition, ( commemerative, engraved etc.).

And welcome to the forum.
Old September 13, 2006, 10:46 PM   #4
Stiofan

I happen to own a Wingmaster made in 1976. Got it for Christmas that year, my first shotgun. I own plenty of others now but that gun still shoots as sweet as the first time I shot it 30 years ago. You have a nice piece, don't mess with it too much. Extra barrels are plentiful and relatively inexpensive, I'd go that route.
Old September 13, 2006, 10:56 PM   #5
Blackwater OPS

+1 on not messing with it too much, you don't need all those "high speed" bits, keep the fixed stock.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old September 14, 2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

50s and 60s 870s in GREAT shape are starting to generate collector interest, but mostly the Letter Grade trap and skeet models and odd variants like the Sun Ray 870s with blond factory wood are the ones that qualify.

70s 870s are great guns, but not much collector market yet and possibly not ever. After all, they had made 3 million or so by then.

I'd keep that barrel as is. A second 20" barrel with sights can be had.

Go slow on the addons. What you need now is ammo.
Old September 17, 2006, 09:57 AM   #7
ciunnc

Thanks guys for the advices.

I wanted to get spare barrel. but in australia since no one got the guns, its almost impossible to find a spare barrel. so for now. just the minor work done to the barrel (cut 2" down to 18" and rebead) and most other things are not permanent modification, i.e changing stock and forend etc.

regards.
Old September 17, 2006, 02:06 PM   #8
LSU12ga

ebay

there shouldnt be a problem having one shipped to you via ebay should there?
Old September 21, 2006, 03:16 PM   #9
9mmMike

'76 is old?
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old September 22, 2006, 05:04 PM   #10
kudu

Welcome,

Why go through the trouble of cutting just 2" of barrel off? What choke does the gun have that won't suit you?

If the choke is too tight get a barrel hone and work it open a bit at a time to get what you want . A cut barrel is totaly open and no going back unless you go to the trouble and expense of having choke tubes threaded and installed. A person can work around too tight of a choke with different loads, but once you loose the choke you cannot tighten it back up. You might shoot it a bit as is and see just what it does on a pattern board. Just my 2 cents.
Old September 27, 2006, 07:46 AM   #11
mudfoot

I would think that Midwayusa.com would ship to the Commonwealth. Especially on just parts! They have a great selection of factory and aftermarket barrels available for that Wingmaster. Good luck!
Old October 12, 2006, 10:27 PM   #12
ciunnc

Hi all, thanks for reply.

ITs not the problem are exporting from the States.. its the importing into Australia. Pump action shotgun are restricted item and we can only buy them for club use and only in very few state. and we cannot buy them new or import them (unless you are producer producer). Only whats in the country and avaliable pre-owned. This then translate to the parts as well, all part related to pump or semi auto shotgun are restricted item. Very difficult to get them into the country unless some dealer stock them already for other more legitamate owner (primary producers)..

I have being drooling over a Vancomp barrel with all the bids .. for a long time.. Might have to go overseas for a competition and have the gun come back to the country with a comp barrel accidentally.. ehhehehee (will double check with custom regarding importation of barrel)

Got a first sight of my shotgun two days ago.. its old alright.. it work ok.. action is smooth. but it does have some surface pitting on the receiver and barrel. and the woodstock have soem stain from sitting inside some gun slip for too long .....will it wont be a safe queen .. so as long as action is working good.. it wont matter except i like my gun to look as good as it shoot.. maybe can have it reblue. or something.. but it will cost a small fortune .. as everything to do with gun smithing..might have to google some advice on rebluing a gun .. anyone with advice...

RE: barrel
It was 20" smooth open bored before. so now its just 18"smooth open bored.. have not shot it yet. license still 1.5 weeks away. when i get it.. will probably take half a day off and go to range with different ammo and try it out.. will be getting it with my SA1911 as well.. half or whole day of work will be fun... shooting my newest toys...see ya

thanks all