The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 14, 2017, 09:50 AM   #26
DMK

Quote:
If you go to a large gun show with a pocket full of cash, a head full of knowledge, and guts to name a fair/good price you will pay, you can find good deals.
That's true and I have occasionally found treasures (though I haven't been to one in the last 5 years).

For the money paid on parking and entrance fees though, I'd rather just pay for the gas to go for a drive and explore out of the way pawn shops and off the beaten path gun stores.
Old November 14, 2017, 11:09 AM   #27
Don Fischer

I don't go to a lot of gun show's anymore. There are good deal at them but they are few and far between. Mostly what you have at them are really dealer's that don't have a store! But like I said, now and then! Best thing about them is all the stuff they bring in for you to see. Lot of junk being pawned off as valuable stuff!

Last show I went to I got a brick of Win LRP for $20, a steal. Also got 100 243 Win new cases for a bit over $20. There are deal's!
Old November 14, 2017, 03:44 PM   #28
Tony Z

I would certainly prefer finding used firearms at gun shows, versus a bit of uncertainty of some of the internet sites. Unfortunately, my last gun show experience (Butler, PA, on 11/4/17) was not productive. I did my homework in advance for what I was looking for (Savage 99) and found several. Pricing was very high for condition and the very common models for sale, with dealers not really wanting to come down any on price (I typically will counter offer within 10 to 12% of the asking price for those guns I have a serious interest in). I had a price agreed to on one firearm, and the seller said we had to transfer the gun, to which I replied, no problem. Then he said, I forgot to add in sales tax, to which I decided to walk, as he insisted (prior) my payment to him be in cold, hard cash.
Old November 15, 2017, 04:21 PM   #29
Slopemeno

My experience? The local shows stopped being productive back in the 80's. Then came the jerky, the tasers, the guy selling the formula for making RDX in your kitchen sink, the Nazi stuff, etc.

The Reno guns is worth checking out though.
Old November 15, 2017, 11:52 PM   #30
Cirdan

I actually did buy a gun at a gun show recently. Nice Mark IV 22/45 priced below the LGS. First time I've ever done that.
Old November 17, 2017, 06:38 PM   #31
DaleA

Quote:
Then came the jerky, the tasers, the guy selling the formula for making RDX in your kitchen sink, the Nazi stuff, etc.
Well dang Slopemeno, if you SAW me there why didn't you come over and say 'howdy'?
Old November 17, 2017, 06:44 PM   #32
RAEIndustries

Yes its tough to find good deal up here in northeast Florida , haven't been to one since the fall so hopefully will get better this winter
Old November 17, 2017, 11:55 PM   #33
Metal god

I enjoy the gun shows even here in CA , but I like guns and everything associated . If you've never been , it can be a fun time with friends . How ever if you are going for great deals that's not going to happen . Can you find good deals , oh yes but IMO you have to make an effort to do so . You're not going to just look around and seem great deals everywhere you look . Prices are going to be pretty much the same as your local stores or online .

I've found since I reload and CA is not the best place to find great varieties of components . The gun shows is a good place to find what I need ( Primers , powder and bullets ) especially . No local gun store in San Diego can beat the gun shows prices on those items .

On the whole they are not worth going to in CA anymore but I have found very good deals on things from time to time .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 18, 2017, 08:57 PM   #34
Kreyzhorse

Expensive and crowded but look around and you might find a deal.
Old December 6, 2017, 05:27 PM   #35
Gungirlohio

Washington, PA has a large gun show at the fairgrounds, usually every January. I haven't been disappointed.