The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2018, 07:11 PM   #1
cw308

Is shooting a carry pistol bad

I enjoy shooting my carry gun so much l wonder if it's bad. I'm shooting it once a week 50 rounds , I reload , so I load on the low side of the scale 4.6 grains of W231 with a 230 gr. FMJ 45ACP . The pistol is a Colt New Agent 3" barrel steel slide aluminum frame . I clean it after every range trip . What are you thoughts .
Old May 4, 2018, 07:38 PM   #2
pkevinb

I try to shoot my carry gun as often as possible to stay proficient, accurate, and to know that it will go bang if needed.
Old May 4, 2018, 07:40 PM   #3
bn12gg

shoot the gun.

.02 David.
Old May 4, 2018, 07:44 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Small carry guns tend to have a lower lifespan (in terms of round count) than full sized guns.

Most quality firearms are going to last long enough (with proper maintenance) that by the time a person has worn one out, the cost of ammo has significantly exceeded the cost of the gun.

There are some guns that are made primarily for carry that don't have the same durability that is typically expected, but that's not common.

Guns do wear out, but my guess is that very few gun owners shoot enough to worry about wearing out a gun.

Assuming your gun isn't one that's made specifically to be a very economical carry gun but not for a lot of shooting, I would follow these rules:

1. Be sure that the recoil spring is replaced at the manufacturer's recommended intervals.
2. Maintain the gun properly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
3. Follow any recommendations from the manufacturer about ammunition.
4. Have it looked over by a good gunsmith every few years or every 5,000-7,000 rounds.
Old May 4, 2018, 08:45 PM   #5
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkevinb View Post
I try to shoot my carry gun as often as possible to stay proficient, accurate, and to know that it will go bang if needed.
YES, exactly.
Old May 4, 2018, 09:34 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

50 rounds a week is 2,600 rounds per year. An alloy 1911 should be good for at least 30,000 to 50,000 rounds, especially with the powder puff load you described, so you should be fine for 10 to 15 years, at least.
Old May 4, 2018, 09:49 PM   #7
cw308

Thanks guys for getting back so fast . I have the pistol for alittle over a year round count is 1060 . I changed the recoil assembly to a EGW flat spring assembly . Aftermarket unit is much stronger . The Colt New agent is a carry gun , I would hope Colt guns are made strong enough to last . I would rather shoot it then just test it an carry . Doesn't show any signs of loosening up .
Thanks again

Chris
Old May 5, 2018, 12:20 AM   #8
Jazzgun

I have a Raven MP-25 and I've read a lot of comments and articles written by folks who have fired thousands of rounds in their cheap little Zamac made pistols. Many say they have NEVER had a jam or broken anything during firing. I spoke with the gunsmith about mine and he said "yah...no problem...just take it out and start shooting it. The more you shoot it the more it polishes the feed ramp and other parts that need to be smooth." Main thing I've heard is "keep it clean".

So....fire away!
Old May 5, 2018, 12:21 AM   #9
boondocker385

I won't carry a gun til I put 500 rounds through it. I shoot my carry guns at least 2 times per month, sometimes more
Old May 5, 2018, 12:23 AM   #10
Jazzgun

Quote:
I won't carry a gun til I put 500 riunds through it. I shoot my carry guns at least 2 times per month, sometimes more
Wish I could afford the ammo for my .25 caliber, I mean, to shoot it more often.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:38 AM   #11
briandg

a handgun should be able to reliably fire many thousands of rounds before it is worn out. What parts can wear out anyway? springs, extractors, so forth, IMO, inspect and replace these things regularly, and just get a new pistol every few years, or when you feel that it has become worn or unreliable. Unless you get something that was assembled from junk, the thing should work almost forever.
Old May 5, 2018, 01:28 AM   #12
Mike38

My carry pistol gets shot exactly 18 rounds per month. Once a month I burn off both mags. Keeps "fresh" ammo in the mags, and confirms it will go bang if ever needed, (hopefully never needed). Gets cleaned then put back in holster for another 30 days. At that rate, it should last me a lifetime.
Old May 5, 2018, 01:29 AM   #13
3Crows

Has anyone actually ever wore a gun out, assuming no abuse? 3C
Old May 5, 2018, 02:21 AM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Has anyone actually ever wore a gun out, assuming no abuse?
It does happen. Barrels will eventually get shot out, slides can crack and frames can eventually crack or slide rails can break off. It takes a lot of shooting for most guns to get to that point, but lower quality guns, or even quality guns with certain design characteristics may wear a lot faster. For example, even a very good quality pistol which is the minimum size possible in a heavy caliber may not tolerate nearly as many rounds as a full size pistol in a more moderate caliber.

One example of a lower quality pistol came from Smith & Wesson. At one point they made a carry gun in .380ACP caliber called the SW380. It was a polymer framed pistol with a zamak slide and obviously designed to meet a low price point and to appeal to the owner who wanted a gun that would be carried a lot and shot very little. S&W admitted that its expected service life was about 2,500 rounds.

I haven't worn any of my guns out. I buy with durability in mind and I also own enough guns that my shooting tends to gets spread out over a number of guns rather than just having one gun take all the wear. I hope that I will have the time and money to eventually wear out a gun or two in my lifetime.
Old May 5, 2018, 06:31 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308 View Post
. . . .I'm shooting it once a week 50 rounds . . . . . I clean it after every range trip . What are you thoughts .
Cleaning every week also sounds like an opportunity to give it a quick inspection every week.
Old May 5, 2018, 06:47 AM   #16
PPGMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Crows View Post
*raises hand* But it was a competition gun.

Anyways my suggestion to the OP, is if it runs with grease use that. That is what is suggested to increase the frame life on aluminum framed SIGs.
Old May 5, 2018, 06:48 AM   #17
stephen426

I shoot my carry gun all the time to maintain proficiency and maintain muscle memory. Its good that you clean each time as well to avoid gunk build up. While we tend to be more fanatical, there are people that carry and rarely practice. You should be far better off than most. The other thing to think about, if you are practicing weekly, you have a much better chance of discovering a problem of malfunction during a range session than in a self defense situation. Enjoy your gun!
Old May 5, 2018, 06:53 AM   #18
Swamp Yankee

Practice is like ammo,

Nobody can complain about having too much.

Take Care
Old May 5, 2018, 07:15 AM   #19
AK103K

Quote:
I have a Glock 17 Im trying to wear out. It gets 300 rounds a week through it, sometimes more. Last count was 130,500 rounds (and thats on the low side), which has been over about 9 years. Still going strong.

I replace the RSA twice a year, and so far, the only thing to break, has been a trigger return spring at 90,000, and another at around 120,000. You can actually "feel" the smiles in the barrel.

I also have a Glock 26 that I was keeping track of as well, but quit around 25,000. It still gets shot regularly too.

I always have had at least one duplicate of what I carry and always rotated through them each week. I have a number of 17's and I was starting to do the same when I switched over to them, then I decided to just dedicate a couple to weekly practice.

I still shoot my carry gun a couple of times a month as well to blow the dust bunnies out of it and maintain it. No need to wear out the one Im carrying though.

Quote:
Cleaning every week also sounds like an opportunity to give it a quick inspection every week.
Seems a lot of people dont understand that cleaning has multiple purposes. Im always amazed when I hear people say they dont clean their guns, or only clean them when they are "really" dirty, whatever that is.

I clean everything, after each outing. The gun is cleaned and relubed, and as you mentioned, examined for problems while Im cleaning it.

Over the years, Ive had a few parts break on a couple of guns. The only one I knew something was wrong at the moment, was my one M1A that broke a firing pin. The gun wouldnt fire. My MP5 broke a roller retainer and was still functioning with it broken, and I didnt figure it out until I cleaned the gun.

My MAC cracked its upper receiver and was still running as well.

Just recently, I had one of the gas rings in my one AR come out of its recess and get caught up in the bolt carrier, gun was still functioning, and I dont know how, but I didnt discover it until I was cleaning and tried to disassemble the bolt from the carrier. I had a hell of a time getting it apart too, and was amazed the gun was still running with it like that.

The Glock above was still functioning both times the spring went, and both times it wasnt discovered until I was cleaning the gun.

In all those cases, the problem was discovered doing routine maintenance.

Quote:
Practice is like ammo,

Nobody can complain about having too much.
Aint that the truth.
Old May 5, 2018, 07:15 AM   #20
TunnelRat

If you start to worry a lot about wear, if you have the money one option is to have two of the same pistol set up the same way. Shoot both to the level you require to ensure function, and then use one primarily at the range and shoot the other periodically to ensure function. That way if you do run into breakages they're on a pistol that isn't your primary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 5, 2018, 07:24 AM   #21
cw308

Well it looks like I will wear out before the gun ever does . I'm not sure if that makes me feel better , but it will be a fun ride . Anyway , I use to own like everyone here many different firearms , now I like to shoot one rifle , it's blueprinted with a match barrel 308 , and this little 3" 1911. I do clean an inspect every time I shoot . Thank you everyone for spending the time. in answering.

Chris
Old May 5, 2018, 07:43 AM   #22
CajunBass

I wish I could afford the ammo, and had the time to spend at the range to try to wear out a pistol. Or any other gun for that matter.

Shoot it. If you manage to wear it out, BRAG about it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 5, 2018, 08:23 AM   #23
cw308

Cajun
Time goes by so fast , make time for the things you enjoy . Be Well.
Chris
Old May 5, 2018, 08:57 AM   #24
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308:
I enjoy shooting my carry gun so much l wonder if it's bad. I'm shooting it once a week 50 rounds , I reload , so I load on the low side of the scale 4.6 grains of W231 with a 230 gr. FMJ 45ACP . The pistol is a Colt New Agent 3" barrel steel slide aluminum frame . I clean it after every range trip . What are you thoughts.
There’s no doubt we should all be range practicing with our carry guns on a regular basis and as often as possible. OP, are you carrying that New Agent with reloads? If not, do you practice with your carry ammo?

If you’re shooting 50 rounds a week on average, that’s over 2,500 rounds a year. In addition to the weekly cleaning which I assume is a field strip cleaning, then how often do you get that shorty 1911 detail stripped & inspected & cleaned & oiled & then change out that recoil spring, & possibly the FP & FPB springs? Am I asking too many questions?

Last edited by JDBerg; May 5, 2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old May 5, 2018, 09:31 AM   #25
SPEMack618

I try and shoot mt LCP once a week. Shoot my carry ammo and spare mag. Burn out the accumulated pocket lint and then give it a good scrubbing.

Ruger has been less than forth coming over when I should replace the recoil spring.

But, I figure at 13 rounds a week I should be good for a while.