The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 20, 2018, 06:08 PM   #1
Schlitz 45

Loaded 4 Bear

Been thinking about it for quite a while & just added an Alaskan to my backwoods carry options. I'm still feeling it in my hand & arm from this morning’s initial outing with 100 rounds fired-the 325gr bear loads were at the edge of my recoil tolerance but damn it’s fun. This one still has me smiling & should be a good one.

Last edited by Schlitz 45; May 20, 2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old May 20, 2018, 09:27 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz 45 View Post
Been thinking about it for quite a while & just added an Alaskan to my backwoods carry options. I'm still feeling it in my hand & arm from this morning’s initial outing with 100 rounds fired-the 325gr bear loads were at the edge of my recoil tolerance but damn it’s fun. This one still has me smiling & should be a good one.

I get the Buffalo Bore 360 Grain bullets. I don’t mess with hollow points, like pictured.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old May 21, 2018, 05:36 AM   #3
Schlitz 45

Not much choice in off the shelf ammo in this caliber around here. I’ll have everything I need to start handloading in a couple of days & I can start working up some loads as well as some part to make it my own.
Old May 21, 2018, 08:36 AM   #4
Targa

Congrats on that beauty Schlitz,I recently picked up a .454 Blackhawk, very fun to shoot. Yeh, you certainly know you just touched something off when you pull that trigger but that is what makes it so much fun...
Old May 21, 2018, 05:48 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Very nice! I've never shot one . . . you guys are a whole lot more manly than I! At my age, I'm lucky if I can be loaded 4 chipmunks! LOL

I can see where in some parts of the country, one of those could really come in handy if needed. Enjoy and have fun! A nice looking wheelmen!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 21, 2018, 07:05 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

I owned a Ruger Alaskan for a while. With .45 Colt loads it was as tame as a .22!
But it sure was a boat anchor! Sold it when I went with the glock 29 to carry in the woods.
No grizzlies around here, but black bear.
Old May 21, 2018, 07:47 PM   #7
Buckeye!

Great choice !

Just big Black Bear around here and meth heads .. This is my woods carry options

Glock 29 with Underwood 200gr XTP & Glock 21C with Underwood 230gr +P Noslers