The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2017, 02:50 PM   #1
wizard1911

Primer Help

I primed about 50 308's yesterday and today I have a sore hand. I tried to prime on the press but several of the primers didn't seat below the case rim. I've considered the new Lee bench primer, but there is too much plastic to break for my tastes. The RCBS bench primer-not the one with strips-looks like it may solve my problem. Does anyone have any experience with this one?
Old January 7, 2017, 03:11 PM   #2
buck460XVR

That's what I have and it works very well for most cases. I still would rather use the hand primer, but the arthritis in my right hand makes so it uncomfortable for me to do more than 50 at a time. Don't know if it's the caliber or the cheap lee shell holder I have for .380(only caliber I have Lee, everything else is RCBS) , but one has to be careful not to use too much pressure or you deform the rim. I don't have issues with anything else.
Old January 7, 2017, 05:46 PM   #3
PA-Joe

Did you check to see if these were military crimped cases?
Old January 7, 2017, 06:46 PM   #4
ShootistPRS

I separate military and commercial brass for many reasons but one is that I can chamfer the primer pocket for easier priming. I use the RCBS hand priming system and have not had any difficulty in fully seating primers in any case. The brass I use in my 358 is mostly military 308 brass so When I get a batch it takes a little time to process it the first time. The only brass I have lost is what splits at the neck when expanding from 308 to 358. I think that will no longer be a problem now that I have my annealer.
Old January 7, 2017, 08:03 PM   #5
brasscollector

I have the RCBS bench mounted priming tool and do enjoy using it. It has a nice amount of leverage and really works slick right out of the box. A cheaper alternative might be the RCBS ram prime unit. The ram prime is designed so you prime on the upstroke of the ram instead of the downstroke. I've been eyeing one of the ram primes but already having the bench tool I'm not sure it would be justifiable.
Old January 7, 2017, 08:24 PM   #6
snakeye

http://leeprecision.com/ram-prime.html as stated in you other post on another forum
Old January 7, 2017, 08:43 PM   #7
abijohn

Have a RCBS bench primer

Got the bench primer because of arthritis and could not be happier, did 200 7mm-08 this afternoon. Never any problems with it as long as the little plunger is tightened down, I use a small alllen wrench to snug it down.
Old January 7, 2017, 09:19 PM   #8
1100 tac

The RCBS bench primer is a very good tool, quick to set up, fast in operation, with an excellent feel. I used one for many years, until I unknowingly "loaned" it to someone. Now I use my 550b, or RCBS Ram-Prime or my Forster press for short runs.
Old January 8, 2017, 01:29 PM   #9
mkl

If you can't seat the primer with a bench press, I fail to see how a smaller press would help that much.

Have you considered that the primer pocket itself may be out of spec? Years ago I bought 100 new Winchester cases in 30-30 that all had primer pockets too small. I bought a primer pocket uniformer and solved the problem. I couldn't believe how much brass the uniformer cut out. After uniforming the primers fit just fine. Poor QC at Winchester.

I use the Sinclair carbide one and it seems to last forever. I chuck it up in my drill press at about 500 rpm. Lacking a drill press, they make a hand tool to fit the uniformer. Others make uniformers, but the Sinclair has worked so well for me, I've never tried the others.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...720-63188.aspx

Note the Sinclair is made in the USA. Others be sure to check (China is pretty poor on QC) if quality is a desire.

Last edited by mkl; January 8, 2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Added the China cavat)