The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Zapoyou

What am i doing wrong?

So I just got into reloading recently and bought DRCBS rock chucker kit and RCBS neck die set 270 win. I spent a significant amount of time researching recipients and made sure what I was getting was by the book. I did end up running into a problem while using my seating die where before I can even get the bullet seated it squished my brass to look like a turtle neck(see image attached). I did try it 1 time without a projectile loaded and it did the same thing. I have also tried it with the die only screwed on a little bit(2-3 threads). I did lightly lubricate the outside and mouth of the case. I really can't find any info on this. Any help would be amazing, thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Untitled.pdf (106.8 KB, 156 views)
Old January 2, 2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Reloadron

Exactly how are you setting up and adjusting your seating die? Looks to me like the seating die is run down too much.

Read this link, read the portion about Bullet Seating Without Crimping. They describe exactly what you are seeing, a crushed case.

Ron
Old January 2, 2017, 02:23 PM   #3
DMY

I agree with ReloaderRon that your seater die might not be adjusted properly. You might also want to check your case length with calipers or a case gauge. If the neck is too long, the same thing might happen, but it looks like a significant amount of case neck is crushed, so it is less likely that the neck stretched that much. Go back to the RCBS manual for setting up your dies. If you don't have them, you can probably get them online or call RCBS. Their customer service is excellent.
Old January 2, 2017, 02:36 PM   #4
RC20

Does a neck die have a resizer bulb on the stem?

Are the bullets flat based (that can be an issue getting started unless you chamber the case)

Are you trying to crimp? If so, do not.

Not needed for rifle, if you do it on anything separate operation, the crimp and seat thing is just to darned tricky (IMNSHO_)

New brass or fired?
Old January 3, 2017, 06:30 PM   #5
firewrench044

Your seating die does 2 things
1 -- it seats the bullet ( the seating plug )
2 -- it crimps the case neck ( the die body )

It looks like the die itself is screwed down way too far
so that the crimp is so sever it is doing that to your case

back off the die assembly ( a lot )( to where it will not touch the case )
screw down the seating plug ( not the entire die )

Try that let us know what happens

The case or cases that are crushed are scrap
( when you get a 5 gallon bucket full of scrap brass,
take it to the scrap yard and get some money for loading supplies )
Old January 3, 2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Smoke & Recoil

Double check the bullet diameter, double check that you have the correct die.
Like you said, the die was only threaded in by 2 or 3 threads so there's do
chance that the brass is contacting the crimp portion in the die.
Old January 3, 2017, 07:38 PM   #7
Mobuck

The seater die SHOULD NOT TOUCH THE SHELLHOLDER.
Old January 3, 2017, 07:43 PM   #8
PA-Joe

As noted, check the diameter of the bullets first.
Are you chamfering/deburring the inside of the sized mouths? Hence the question about using a flatbased bullet.
It looks like the bullet is not fitting into the case mouth and is crushing the neck.

Remove the seating stem from you seating die and try running a case into the seating die. It should not crush the neck when you do this. If it does then the seating die has been screwed in too far or there is an obstruction in the die.

Many of us will seat the bullet without a crimp and then crimp as a third step using a LEE Factory Crimp die.
Old January 3, 2017, 09:49 PM   #9
precision_shooter

You mention you are neck sizing only. Is there an expanded ball in your sizing die? If not you may likely be sizing the neck too small and the case is collapsing while the bullet is forced into the small neck.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 5, 2017, 07:48 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Zapoyou,

Welcome to the forum.

Reloadron hit it right. Those case mouths have heavy crimp shoulder marks, so the crimp shoulder compressed the case shoulders via the neck. The reason the die body and the seating stem adjust independently is that different shape bullets need the seating stem and crimp shoulder in different relative positions even when you do choose to use a crimp. The die body adjusts the crimp and the seating stem adjusts the bullet seating depth. They have to be adjusted separately for this reason.

You are in good company with many a beginning reloader who mentally transposed the resizing die instructions with the seating die instructions and thought the seating die body's mouth needed to make contact with the shell holder like a resizing die mouth does. It does not and should not. It is actually meant to provide a range of crimp adjustment by varying how far from the shell holder its mouth is when the press ram is fully raised.

In your case, you are unlikely to need a crimp. Crimps are arguably necessary for full-auto weapons or other extremely rough handling. In some instances there is an accuracy improvement obtained from using them, but not usually you can do as well by adjusting your powder charge or bullet seating depth or by changing to a magnum primer to increase start pressure. By not crimping, your cases last through more reloads before they start to split, so unless you expect rough handling or cannot achieve equal accuracy by another means, I would avoid crimping.

So let's start you with no crimp.

{indent]1.) Back out the seating stem by loosening the small nut on top of the black knurled nut at the top of the die body. Unscrew the slender threaded seating stem, raising it as far as it goes.

2.) Unscrew the die body from the press until just the last two or three threads are hanging onto the press.

3.) Put a resized case into the shell holder and raise press the handle to raise the ram all the way up.

4.) With the case in this position, hold the press handle down and screw in the die body until you feel it stop against the case or feel it try to raise the press handle or both. This will indicate the crimp shoulder making contact with the case mouth.

5.) Back the die out a full turn, then take your hand off the press handle and hold the die body from turning while you turn the die locking ring down to contact the press with your other hand, and then tighten the set screw in it. The die body is now positioned to make no crimp and the locking ring marks the spot so you can find this position without adjustment next time.

6.) Lower the ram and put a bullet on top of the case and raise it again.

7.) Hold the ram up while you screw the seating stem down until it stops against the bullet.[/indent]
At this point, any further adjustment of the seating stem will start seating the bullet into the case. If you intend to make a dummy round for reference, proceed to the next step. If not, replace the case with one that has been primed and charged with powder.
8.) lower the ram and turn the seating stem in by the amount you intend to seat the bullet. Tighten the nut on the seating stem to lock it in place.
That last step can be done by calculation, but most folks just turn the seating stem in some by eyeball, holding off on tightening the locking nut, then run the press ram back up, lower it, and check the length of the cartridge. They keep repeating this, turning the seating stem in a little more and running the ram back up, seating the bullet a little deeper each time until they wind up with the cartridge length they want. At that point they tighten the nut that locks the seating stem in place. The die is now set up.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle