The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2017, 03:51 PM   #26
Don P

Quote:
but I must constantly remind her to lock her wrists. She can't empty a 15 round magazine in my BDE without havinat least one stoppage, and usually about 3. I can dump 200 rounds of the same load with never a failure.
So you want to cure her poor shooting technique by down loading, or up loading your ammo. My opinion is keep the ammo as is and hammer away on proper shooting technique. Doing/curing it by ammo teaches her ABSOLUTELY NOTHING just enhances poor technique
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 3, 2017, 05:07 PM   #27
MarkCO

No one told the OP to ignore technique. Strength is an issue and there is not a single accomplished shooter who fails to understand that reduced recoil is a benefit to learning to shoot.
Old January 3, 2017, 06:41 PM   #28
briandg

Hard question. inertia and resistance are what make a recoil weapon work. Resistance against the frame unit is what allows the slide to unlock and be pushed back against the frame. Eliminate power from the round, add too much spring resistance, loosen the grip so that the forces don't work against each other, they all have an effect.

First, try a standard load, it's the way the gun is designed. This may fix it. Teach your kid better handling. Last choice, not a good one, is to weaken the spring.

Maybe training her thoroughly with a smaller gun would be the answer.
Old January 3, 2017, 06:58 PM   #29
ammo.crafter

limp wrist

I had the same issue with my daughter.

I did notice that the recoil from a 9mm is "sharper" than the recoil of a 1911 45acp.

If you have a 1911 in 45acp, you can make powder puff loads but you must change the slide spring accordingly.
Old January 3, 2017, 11:05 PM   #30
5whiskey

Quote:
So you want to cure her poor shooting technique by down loading, or up loading your ammo.
Not at all what I want to do, and her "poor technique" works quite well. My son, who I taught to shoot, and his same "poor technique" must be why he is the company 2nd or 3rd high shooter in his unit every year. Yes I'm aware he received marksmanship training in the Marine Corps. He still shoots better than 95% of other shooters.... Trained by the marine corps (which is still the best end masse training facility in existence). So no, I don't want to enforce poor technique. I *did* download 9mm when we first transitioned from rimfire. Now she is quite used to center fire recoil, and I discovered my downloads were too downloaded for her, in that gun, to cycle it reliably.

Rant off.
Old January 4, 2017, 10:18 AM   #31
Stats Shooter

A bit tongue in cheek, but you could step her up to a 10 mm using 220 grain pills.....No amount of limp wrist, stance, or fatigue will make my 10 mm not cycle properly
Old January 4, 2017, 02:47 PM   #32
ShootistPRS

I am not going to tell you that you should do such and such to get the gun to work for her. If she enjoys shooting then she has plenty of time to build strength and as long as it is enjoyable she will continue to shoot.
Stress grip, stance and the basics; breathe, sight picture, breathe, trigger control, and follow through.
If you make things too complicated or too much work the child will not enjoy it and will stop going. Keep it fun. Targets close enough to hit but mobile so you can move them out when it gets easy. Use reactive targets as much as possible. We all like to see the gong swing after a resounding "bing" when the bullet hits it or watch a metal target fall. Kids really like to know "they can do it" and that brings in confidence and practice. It is better to fire ten rounds perfectly that it is to fire 1000 rounds poorly.

I've taught my kids and other people for the last 30 years and "if it ain't fun, it ain't worth doin'"
Old January 4, 2017, 04:04 PM   #33
RC20

Quote:
Not at all what I want to do, and her "poor technique" works quite well. My son, who I taught to shoot, and his same "poor technique" must be why he is the company 2nd or 3rd high shooter in his unit every year. Yes I'm aware he received marksmanship training in the Marine Corps. He still shoots better than 95% of other shooters.... Trained by the marine corps (which is still the best end masse training facility in existence). So no, I don't want to enforce poor technique. I *did* download 9mm when we first transitioned from rimfire. Now she is quite used to center fire recoil, and I discovered my downloads were too downloaded for her, in that gun, to cycle it reliably.

Rant off.
Not a rant, stating the facts. Reasoning seems clear. Regimen looks to be good.

As noted, as soon as you can move the load up, shoot less if needed. Shift to 38 or 22 if she wants to keep going. Alternate gun familiarity is a good thing at early age, you don't get locked in.

I still think a 38 is great early training. I also disagree on DA mode. I shoot SA. My pistol is DA. If its a striker no choice. I can and do shoot measured and I generally cock the semi auto. I do shoot some DA but only enough to keep a bit of feel in.

I disagree on downloading. My dad did not have us shoot his 30-06. We did shoot the 22 a lot. That did not ruin us. Some M1 Carbine (others approved by my dad to shoot with)
Old January 4, 2017, 09:55 PM   #34
5whiskey

RC I wasn't ranting at you brother. I like your advice quite well. I do need to mix things up some, but we get so few chances to go shooting that I just want to make sure its fun. She has been shooting (other than pellet guns) since she was 8, and I used to take her much more frequently. I have a third daughter that is 15 months now, and I have to balance my time. We have only been to the range like 4 times since July, so when we do make it I guess I wanted to make sure she had plenty of fun. She goes to that BDE every time because it was the first center fire pistol she shot, and she has learned to shoot it well. I'm definitely going to put some 38 in her hands next trip though. I have 6" security six that feels about like a 22 loaded with 38.
Old January 6, 2017, 12:12 PM   #35
RC20

I didn't take it as a rant.

Stated it was not ranting and well reasoned

Amazed at how well the advice was taken ad advice and not personal.

Well done.

And Kudos, its good to see fathers realize that their daughters are the same as their sons and given the opportunity to shine in whatever area they choose to do so.