The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 28, 2019, 10:05 AM   #101
Wag

Dang, David! She shoots like my wife did!

--Wag--
Old February 28, 2019, 10:41 AM   #102
SmellyShooter

My wife is mostly supportive of us having guns, she's just not a shooter. That being said, she does hate spending money so that's always my trouble. Guns ain't cheap.

-me
Old March 1, 2019, 06:18 AM   #103
mrbentley57

When I bought my 1st semi auto pistol my wife insisted I store then outside of the house. I rented a secure storage locker. She is not anti gun just protective of children. Its was Thanksgiving weekend and we had a lot of the grown children and spouses home. I took a couple of them to the shooting range the day after. Then on Saturday a couple more wanted to go. Of course they all had a blast. Well the following Monday, when the house was empty, my wife asked if I wouldn't mind taking her to learn / try her hand at shooting. She fell in love with shooting targets immediately. Although she had no interest in revolvers. She just liked the semi autos. The rest as they say is history, She owns 9 or 10 of her own now. Shoots USPSA and steel challenge. When I bring or buy a new gun, it's hers and mine as long as it is 9mm or smaller. The larger calibers are just mine. We have been marred 38 years and this works out great. I brought home a CZ 75 SP01 Phantom and 3 Beretta Cheetahs this week. 2 85Fs and an 84. I showed them to her and then put them in my safe. in our house. That's how I got around the offsite rule and how I can pretty much buy any gun I want. I involved her in the process.
Old March 1, 2019, 07:40 AM   #104
ROCK6

@USNRet93
Quote:
Yikes, how do you decide what to shoot during 'range days'??
eeny meeny mini moe Some get used more than others. I try and get out and shoot them all at least once a year...familiarization range day

@Leaf
Quote:
Be careful, Rock. Having a gun accumulation like that makes a lot of people these days poop their panties and start logging your google searches.
Given my service provider is German (working in Afghanistan) and I religiously use a VPN...but yeah, there's some predators out there...

@2wheelwandar
Quote:
Just curious ROCK6, what model stainless Smith is that in the upper left corner?
Good eye! S&W 3913. I just happened across a good deal. It was in almost like-new condition. I already had about a dozen magazines, so it only made sense to pick up the 3913

ROCK6
Old March 2, 2019, 03:25 AM   #105
gb_in_ga

My wife has no problem with my owning guns. She has hers as well. But, in our current depleted financial situation, purchasing new ones is out of the question. I realize that as well as her, and I concur. No new gun purchases.
Old March 3, 2019, 08:29 AM   #106
Don P

As long as it doesn't hurt the budget I can buy what I want. The problem is once purchased the wife tries the gun, likes it and then I need to buy another one for myself. It's tuff but someone has to do it
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 3, 2019, 08:41 AM   #107
2wheelwander

Had a conversation with a friend yesterday. His wife was a social worker for years. Dealing with troubled kids, parents, etc. Refused to give her blessing to gun ownership.

Well, she gets burned out and gets a job at the local PD (250,000 population city) answering the non 911 calls. Now, she is demanding he gets a handgun and keep it in the house and get a carry permit.

Its all perspective vs. reality
Old March 4, 2019, 07:08 AM   #108
Longhorn1986

My wife actually encouraged me to get back into shooting when I returned home to Texas after almost a decade exiled to a northern state. Now, if I bring how a new firearm, she asks "Where's mine?" Hell, we exchanged shotguns for Christmas. I bought her a Benelli Montefeltro in 20ga and she bought me a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon in 12.
Old March 4, 2019, 07:25 PM   #109
DanPop

Not to sound macho but I earn 5 times what she does, until the bills suffer, I will do what I want.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old March 5, 2019, 06:46 PM   #110
Targa

You certainly are the exception to the your money is her money rule...
Old March 5, 2019, 06:55 PM   #111
Don P

Perhaps a wife replacement is due and as stated earlier the gun topic conversation never came up?????
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 5, 2019, 06:56 PM   #112
TRX

My wife saw me looking at a Star compact 9mm on J&G, declared it was "so cute", and demanded that I buy one for her.

"Yes, dear..."
Old March 5, 2019, 07:09 PM   #113
armednfree

My wife, way back when I met her, said she didn't like guns. I told her straight out that it was a package deal.
Old March 5, 2019, 07:54 PM   #114
GarandTd

Quote:
The gun topic conversation never came up?????
Some times guns aren't in the equation early in a relationship/marriage. That was the case for me. I had a shotgun and a a couple heirloom rifles in the beginning that I didn't have out very much, so guns weren't ever really talked about. Fast forward 13 years and I came into possession of a sweet M1 Garand. Then I became interested in handguns, and then, and then, and then....
Old March 6, 2019, 10:54 AM   #115
FLJim

Quote:
My wife wasn't raised around guns and doesn't like them either, but she has no problem with me owning them...
Quote:
My wife is supportive since she knows I enjoy shooting, and she likes me to be happy.
These two comments pretty much sum up the situation here.

She's not into shooting. I'm not into gardening. We each allow the other the room they need to enjoy what they enjoy.
Old March 6, 2019, 11:12 AM   #116
TxFlyFish

I wasn’t raised around purses and don’t like wearing them. I’m supportive of her owning purses to make her happy but I don’t think anyone needs more than 3 purses. Plus I like saving money as well

Also high heels are dangerous and trip hazards
Old March 11, 2019, 11:13 PM   #117
Ibmikey

Without reading all five pages of responses I would simply make a demonstrative statement to the wife “ I had firearms before you and will have firearms when St Peter comes calling for me.” You can include or omit adding the wife in there with a suggestion you will have the guns perhaps longer than you will have her. This is grand advise from my normal marriage counseling program, you can then actively seek a place to sleep after your house, bank account, vehicles and retirement quickly become the property of your wife at the sound of the judges gavel.
Old March 12, 2019, 09:06 AM   #118
loknload

My wife doesn’t like me buying handguns either, simple solution is that I don’t tell her!
For a lot of years my CU account was in my name only, that was my gun fund and should would never see the gun shop charges.
If she saw something that she thought was new I’d just tell had this for years and it was buried in the safe.
For the most part my collecting days are over and since I’m retired the CU account is in both names now. If I do buy anything now I just listen to the P&M session!
Old March 12, 2019, 09:52 AM   #119
2wheelwander

Dad used to have $50 savings bonds taken from his checks (gub'ment employee) and that was his gun fund. For decades Mom never knew how he afforded his guns when a new one showed up. She never looked at his pay stubs.

It was a slow system, but it worked.
Old March 13, 2019, 07:40 AM   #120
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by armednfree View Post
My wife, way back when I met her, said she didn't like guns. I told her straight out that it was a package deal.
These statements sometimes crack me up..just cuz 'she doesn't like guns'(my wife doesn't either), doesn't mean she doesn't like you..geeez, marriage is give and take, never easy.
I guess some are faced with 'pick guns or me'..but I think that's rare..IMHO, of course.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 13, 2019, 09:19 PM   #121
Leaf

Quote:
And like most women she probably figured she's be able to straighten you out in that respect.
Old March 14, 2019, 07:36 AM   #122
David R

My latest. Wife shoots next to me. She likes my quality guns. I never have a problem buying stuff We need for matches or practice.

I bought a 9mm Springfield RO Champion. She liked it because it was light. SO I bought a Dan Wesson PM-9. She liked that, so did I. SO I bought a Valor in 45 for me.

Last night she shot a 94 in timed fire with that Valor. Its hard to keep up!

I just bought a used Kimber target II as a project gun for me.

David
Old March 14, 2019, 06:58 PM   #123
m&p45acp10+1

Sometimes my wife is ok with me buying a new handgun. She likes to shoot with me. So she does not dislike guns. Most guns she just handles it. Then is ok with it. A few she has not been ok with. Those she confiscated for herself.

On the list of guns she has confiscated after my purchases.

1. Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special.
2. Raven .25 Auto. (It was given to me as a tip for a detailing job.) She shoots it well, and likes the ultra small size of it.
3. V. Bernadelli Model 60 in .32 Auto. I tried to sneak it by her. It hit her and fet well enough she lets me clean it for her weekly. (She carries it.)
4. RIA 206 .38Spcl. Snub. She likes the size and weight of it. She also shoots it well. I got it because it reminded me of a Colt Detective Special. 6 shot and all.

There are others of mine she likes to shoot. The above listed are HER'S!

She puts up with me. So when she decides she likes one that much it becomes her's.
Old March 16, 2019, 09:44 AM   #124
TxFlyFish

Does anyone’s spouse object to trades? I mean not trading spouses. Gun trades.
Old March 16, 2019, 11:21 AM   #125
JN01

Quote:
My wife does not like me buying pistols.
That one is easy. Start buying rifles.