The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2011, 12:43 AM   #1
MDS

Opinion on this load?

I'm not asking for others load data. Just an opinon. I used Hodgdon's data for .40 S&W 180gr JHP Ecept Hodgdon's oal is 1.125 Mine feed better at 1.130 Data is 4.1 to 5.0 grns of Win 231. I like the trial rounds at 4.6grns. Anyone shoot a simular load? Any thoughts?
Old January 14, 2011, 12:51 AM   #2
amamnn

I'm sure you know that published COAL is not a commandment. I know a lot of folks who like W231 and the other fast powders in various calibers, the .40SW included. My personal preference is for a bit slower powder like HS-6 or N-340 that gives me a better load density, less flash and cleaner burning at the pressures I load. A higher load density helps reduce the chance of a double charge, too.
Old January 14, 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
MDS

Yeah I know it's not gospel. I'm also longer oal,which gives me breathing room. I recieved 8 lbs of 231 for my birthday. I use a lot of Unique, it's good for not overcharging too.