The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 21, 2001, 07:33 PM   #1
LASur5r

Rather than talk about style...which type of training do you believe the most useful to a person who would use street fighting skills?(and why?)

Boxing (with gloves); wrestling; throwing techniques (a la' aikido and judo); mat techniques; kicking (heavy bag--muay thai);open hand techniques...any other recommendations?

Which type of m.a. would work the best with a form of gun fighting?
Old May 22, 2001, 11:54 AM   #2
Danger Dave

Tough question...

I think the most effective style of street fighting, based on what little I've seen, is something that involves disabling the other guy when he never sees it coming. Like hitting him over the head with a bar stool while he's playing video poker or something. That's hard to do with wrestling or grappling, and impossible to defend against with any technique.

I don't know what would be most effective with a gun - the primary objective is to control your space, in order to maintain control of the weapon. If you're grappling, punching, or throwing, you're tying up your hands, and you need at least one of them free to bring a firearm into play... So, kicking gets a point, but it's also dangerous to be on one foot in a crowded, jumbled environment.

I don't have an answer except to say that you've screwed up if you've put yourself in that situation.