The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 30, 2022, 01:55 PM   #1
Classic12

Little Kaboom

I have this .22 lr rifle, AMT small game hunter II, with an Archangel stock . Copy of the Ruger 10/22 in stainless steel with a match trigger. Very nice rifle, accurate but a bit finicky at times.

This morning I had an out of battery detonation, a little kaboom. Unusual noise, powder, smoke and debris.

Result :

That Remington bullet almost made it out of the barrel

After an unusual event / noise or recoil report I always check the barrel for obstructions. This one was rather obvious

Stay safe guys
Old July 30, 2022, 02:36 PM   #2
stagpanther

I've hand-loaded some 22lr ammo--I think sometimes people don't know just how tight 22lr tolerances are--much more so than your average conventional primer--type case cartridge.
Old July 30, 2022, 03:27 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Strange. I'm trying to imagine how an out of battery detonation would happen in a rimfire.

I'm glad nothing was damaged.
Old July 30, 2022, 04:42 PM   #4
Scorch

Typically, out of battery discharges for semi-auto rimfire rifles, whether it's a slam-fire or a simple out of battery, happen because the chamber is fouled.
Old July 30, 2022, 11:04 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I had something somewhat similar happen some 30odd years ago. Ruger 10/22. Remington Golden bullets.

IN my case, it was complete rim separation, literally, the rim blew out, all the way around. The disc of the case base was found in the action. The bullet did exit the barrel, and the action cycled, feeding a new round into the tubular case body which partly extended out of the chamber. The extractor and plunger were gone, blow out of the bolt and somewhere in the weeds where they probably still rest to this day....

I wrote Ruger a letter (this was in the pre-computer age) explaining what happened, and put a dollar in the envelope (as the manual said the extractor and plunger were $0.50 each) and they sent me a new extractor, plunger AND spring.

I probably should have contacted Rem as well, but did not.
Old July 30, 2022, 11:43 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I know of a few people that have had OOBs or cause failures in 10/22s.
All of them blew the extractor out.

OOB is usually caused by a misfeed and a, presumably, thin rim.
Case failures are case failures.
Old July 31, 2022, 01:02 PM   #7
Pahoo

In my case, it was cheap ammo !!

Quote:
I know of a few people that have had OOBs or cause failures in 10/22.s
On one range trip, that happened to me on a 10/22, but only once as I eliminated the cause which was "Cheap Ammo". You can feel and hear it when it happens. No damage, just a bit surprising. ......

Be Safe !!!