The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 3, 2022, 02:45 AM   #1
Dan31

SBR: Which Way?

Which would be the quicker way to get an SBR? Change out the barrel on a rifle or change to a buttstock on a pistol AR. With Pistol AR's being a touchy subject with AFT would one get through paperwork faster than the other?
Old May 3, 2022, 09:25 AM   #2
taylorce1

Probably the same time for both as far as the paperwork is concerned. Just don't do either conversion until your paperwork comes back. However, I'm hesitant to do either right now with the ATF mass denial of Form 1 suppressor applications. They may send you a letter saying you're already in possession of an illegal firearm, like they are saying with suppressor builds.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:06 AM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
Dan31 Which would be the quicker way to get an SBR? Change out the barrel on a rifle or change to a buttstock on a pistol AR. With Pistol AR's being a touchy subject with AFT would one get through paperwork faster than the other?
A Form 1 tells ATF what you are planning to build, not what you are starting with.

While you may start with a rifle or a pistol, making an SBR via a Form 1 is identical.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 4, 2022, 05:04 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

I don't know about touchy subjects with the federal gubermint.

I did the pistol to SBR route a few years ago. Filed my form 1, waited about 5 months, got my form back, got my gun engraved with my name and city, put a proper buttstock on it. Easy peasy.
Old May 4, 2022, 05:49 AM   #5
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan31
Which would be the quicker way to get an SBR? Change out the barrel on a rifle or change to a buttstock on a pistol AR. With Pistol AR's being a touchy subject with AFT would one get through paperwork faster than the other?
The Form 1 process will be the same either way, but there may be a practical consideration that would favor the pistol first route.

If you build or buy a pistol first, you can test its function and know how it works and that it works. If you start with a stripped lower then build after getting the stamp, or if you use a rifle, then change to another barrel you might not have a reliable or functional SBR.

I've never built anything exotic, but my observation in reading about other peoples' builds is that the more variables depart from a 20" rifle the more likely one is to run into a function problem. A 10.3 inch barrel in 5.56 may not cycle the range of ammunition the very same lower with rifle barrel and gas system would.

Last edited by zukiphile; May 4, 2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old May 5, 2022, 09:47 PM   #6
raimius

Paperwork will take far longer than the actual work. Replacing the buffer tube is a less than 15min job. Replacing the upper is about 10sec (unless you plan on actually replacing the barrel from an already barreled upper..why?)
Old May 9, 2022, 05:59 AM   #7
zukiphile

The ATF initial application is online in a way you can do yourself, but there is a follow up mailing of your signature cards.

You'll want the lower in hand anyway so you know the serial number.