The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 25, 2021, 06:55 PM   #1
AlongCameJones

I'm now suspicious of GB.

They are billing me $15.50 for two plain listings with no paid options at all and no reserve prices set.

I've just sent them a message to dispute this. Please stayed tuned. I hope I don't have to file a disopute with my Cc bank on this for chargeback.

Has any GB user here gotten any nasty surprises?

Here is their fee schedule:

https://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/fees/
Old November 25, 2021, 07:59 PM   #2
ligonierbill

You sold the guns, correct? GB will bill you a fee and sales tax. Sales tax is billed to the buyer, so that's a wash. How does that make you suspicious?
Old November 25, 2021, 10:39 PM   #3
AlongCameJones

The guns have NOT sold yet.

The guns have NOT sold yet.
Old November 26, 2021, 07:48 AM   #4
ligonierbill

Review what boxes you checked. I've sold many guns there and never been charged prior to the sale.
Old November 26, 2021, 02:07 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

GB must be hurting for cash flow. I stopped using EB when they wanted to bill me for a product not sold.
Old November 26, 2021, 05:32 PM   #6
Bottom Gun

They now also charge the buyer a 1% compliance fee which is added to every purchase.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old November 27, 2021, 06:27 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Recently won an auction on GB, seller didn't accept money orders, so decided to use the card, got whacked with the state sales tax and GB fees. Gonna be the last time I ever bother using a card on the GB website, I'll just call the sellers and bypass that.

Yeah, gotta believe they need money, but it's not like people aren't buying guns, they still are, it's just those who are buying aren't us who see high prices, know they're high, and stop spending. We're the ones who use gunbroker, not first time buyers or new gun owners, so when we stop buying stuff gunbroker gets hurt.
Old November 28, 2021, 12:36 PM   #8
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Recently won an auction on GB, seller didn't accept money orders, so decided to use the card, got whacked with the state sales tax and GB fees. Gonna be the last time I ever bother using a card on the GB website, I'll just call the sellers and bypass that.

Yeah, gotta believe they need money, but it's not like people aren't buying guns, they still are, it's just those who are buying aren't us who see high prices, know they're high, and stop spending. We're the ones who use gunbroker, not first time buyers or new gun owners, so when we stop buying stuff gunbroker gets hurt.
You're going to get charged state sales tax regardless of how you pay for the transaction. The seller gets charged for it and he'll pass it along to the buyer, just like any sales tax transaction.

I don't know why you should have to pay GB fees, that usually gets paid by the seller. He's the one using the service and getting the money.
Old November 28, 2021, 12:43 PM   #9
Bottom Gun

This is why:

What is the Compliance Fee?

The Compliance Fee is a fee assessed by GunBroker.com and added to the price of the Item at the time of purchase. The U.S. states have been very active in passing new laws applicable to GunBroker.com, including in the areas of taxation, privacy and firearms. These laws have increased the compliance costs of GunBroker.com substantially.

The compliance fee is currently 1% of the purchase price of the item.

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-.../4403265895579

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old November 29, 2021, 02:35 PM   #10
jag2

Some people missed the memo, I think from last Jan. that they had to start collecting state sale taxes. Not their choice, and keeping track of fifty different sets of rules doesn’t come without some expense. Be thankful that the last twenty years or so have been sales tax free, those days are over. We’re lucky that the incompetence of the legislatures has allowed it to go on as long as it has.
Old November 29, 2021, 06:44 PM   #11
Seedy Character

GREED!

It happens with Armslist and eBay

Another forum I am on has a heading on their classifieds section, " if you have benefited from buying or selling on this forum, you need to become a supporting (paying) member.

If you have a history of posting listings, they will request payment and block you from posting.
Old December 3, 2021, 12:16 AM   #12
AlongCameJones

I now know what happened. I checked RESERVE on both guns I was selling and listed them for 15 minutes. I then immediately changed them to NO RESERVE but got dinged by GB anyway.
Old December 5, 2021, 11:42 AM   #13
NeverEnough

With how all prices are jacked right now, I don't even bother looking on GB anymore. Forget about trying to use it to sell.

Am I wrong?
Old December 5, 2021, 11:54 AM   #14
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
With how all prices are jacked right now, I don't even bother looking on GB anymore. Forget about trying to use it to sell.

Am I wrong?
It seems to me that when prices are high is the perfect time to sell.
Old December 5, 2021, 01:58 PM   #15
NeverEnough

I didn't mean use to sell