The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 26, 2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Whalecall

Please help looking to get a ACR or ARX 100.

Need to know good companies to find optics and accessories from... don't know much when it comes to that stuff its gonna be my first build.
Old August 26, 2014, 05:23 PM   #2
precision_shooter

What kind of optics? Fixed or variable zoom? Red dot or holographic? Thermal? Night vision? Digital night vision?
Budget?
What will the rifle be used for primarily?

Way too many variables in your original question to give good advice on what to purchase.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 26, 2014, 05:43 PM   #3
tahunua001

I wouldn't exactly call them builds. just rifles to put optics on. I've no first hand experience with the ARX but personal experience with the ACR says that accuracy is likely going to be an ongoing problem. if you get the ACR, do thorough accuracy testing( like comparing 10 different 5 shot groups over a long period of time from a stable rest) before wasting your money on high end optics.

also what kind of shooting are you planning on doing with them? indoor range? outdoor range? 25 yards? 500 yards? the distance you plan to shoot will determine the optics since 6-24x power scope is pretty pointless and detrimental if all you're doing is 25 yard shooting at an indoor range but if you intend to hunt with it from 100 to 400 yards then a red dot would likely be inadequate.
Old August 26, 2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Whalecall

I'm looking at range shooting wanting too go for a Red dot or holo... don't know the difference between the 2 which one is more reliable plus I was thinking about adding a magnifier to the set up as well...
Old August 26, 2014, 09:44 PM   #5
dakota.potts

I suggest you look at something cheaper for range use like Primary Arms, Burris, Vortex SPARC, etc.

These will come in at $80-$120 and you can learn about the optics you're using. Then when you know what you want you can look at the more expensive stuff.
Old August 29, 2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Whalecall

I make it sound like I don't know this stuff I was in the Army know very little about them though lol... didn't spend much time with the different types.
Old August 29, 2014, 12:35 PM   #7
precision_shooter

I vote for Vortex, either strikefire or sparc.

I had the strikefire on my AR. Had the 3x magnifier on Vortex's swing mount and it worked well. Swing the magnifier down and out of the way when no magnification is needed.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 29, 2014, 01:09 PM   #8
HKFan9

I shot the ACR and it shot fine, it felt nice, very nice firearm feel wise, however non chrome lined and it's price tag kept me from buying it. The ARX I did shoot with berettas reps and somehow managed to break a firing pin. Could be just a fluke, but I also hated the feel, bulky and plastic. Don't get me wrong Iv owned expensive ARs and SCAR and shoot a Tavor frequently, however the price tag for either of these rifles does not make them appealing to me. If you want one or both that's fine, but as for optic, It doesn't make more sense at all to me to get a $2000 gun and throw a $150 optic on it. I would suspect you'd be much happier with a $800-$1000 AR with a $400-$600 optic. Just my take on it.
Old August 29, 2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
I suggest you look at something cheaper for range use like Primary Arms, Burris, Vortex SPARC, etc.

These will come in at $80-$120 and you can learn about the optics you're using. Then when you know what you want you can look at the more expensive stuff.
If you are gonna pony up the money for an ACR or ARX, you may as well put a quality optic on it. For about $375-400, you can pick up an Aimpoint PRO that is a huge step up from those options, but still will not bust the bank.
Old August 30, 2014, 12:22 PM   #10
dakota.potts

The original poster sounded like he had little experience with optics, so I would suggest starting with a cheaper (but still usable) one until he learned his preferences. Certainly an Aimpoint or EOTECH would be a good end goal on a higher end rifle. Or even something like an ACOG/VCOG
Old August 30, 2014, 09:45 PM   #11
ronl

Other than the ACR or ARX, I'd check out the Robinson Armament XCR before I buy. It doesn't get much press these days, but it is an excellent platform and no flimsey plastic. As to the optics, I have to suggest my favorite, Eotech. I can pick up a target much faster with that than I can with any of my red-dots simply because of the wider field of view. You might also want to consider a 1-4 illuminated because of the greater versatility.
Old August 31, 2014, 12:07 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
The original poster sounded like he had little experience with optics, so I would suggest starting with a cheaper (but still usable) one until he learned his preferences. Certainly an Aimpoint or EOTECH would be a good end goal on a higher end rifle. Or even something like an ACOG/VCOG
Buy once, cry once. Why spend the money on an inferior optic when just a little more will buy once that will keep him or her happy for many years?

I would consider an ACR or ARX-100 to be "higher end rifles", at least based on their prices compared to a quality AR-15.
Old September 1, 2014, 04:01 AM   #13
Tucker 1371

I owned an ACR for about a year, it wasn't a bad rifle but I wasn't impressed. The trigger is CRAP. It is VERY heavy for being made of so much plastic. The weight is all in the front end due to the QD barrel mechanism. This makes the rifle easy to control in rapid strings of fire but increases muscle fatigue in the support arm and makes steering the gun like steering a long bed F250. Also, Bushmaster doesn't care about you. Or anyone else who buys an ACR apparently, 4 years since it released and they still haven't released the caliber conversion kits. I sold it after a year to buy a Colt 1911.

The ARX is light, and points like an M4, but IMO it is quite possibly the ugliest rifle I have ever laid eyes on. I've never shot one so my experience is limited to this.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Tags
ar15 , arx , optics