The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 30, 2020, 11:34 PM   #51
Brit

Visiting Palm Bay Police range, quite a few years ago. In talking to my Son, a federal officer, laughed at my statement that I could hit this 100 yard 2' square steel plate, hanging between chains.
My rounds carried at this time were called black talon? 147g 9mm rounds.
So I got permission to try out to hit this plate from prone. From a Sgt. friend of mine.

My carry pistol at this time was a Glock 17 with TruGlo night sights. My Son stood behind me to call the shots. Unlike firing a 5.56 rifle, no more or less instant report and clang would happen. In fact, a couple of seconds lag time was normal for that weight of 9mm at 100 yards.
So press, recoil, clang. Michael said, "Hit" two more hits. The young Fed was flabbergasted.
I felt good also. I was a good bullseye shooter. And that Glock had a good trigger. I still have it. I never sell guns.
No, I did not worry about splashback!!
Old April 1, 2020, 02:35 AM   #52
tangolima

It may feel like a long time, but cannot possibly be a few seconds. The flight time for the round is about 0.5 second. 0.3 second for sound to come back. No more than a second total.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 8, 2020, 12:35 PM   #53
Swifty Morgan

Now I have a second steel array, plus 6 bottle stands I made from rebar and plate.

It takes about half an hour to make 6 stands.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 03 20 steel gong stand II finished tiny.jpg (206.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 04 04 20 bottle stand for shooting 01 small.jpg (243.0 KB, 110 views)
Old April 9, 2020, 01:59 PM   #54
DMK

I always hang my steel both at an angle and swinging from rubber or sections of fire hose.

I shoot rifle at 50+yds and pistol at 10+yds

The other day I was shooting paper targets on cardboard stapled to 1x1" pine wood stuck in the ground (no steel on the range at all). When I was cleaning up, I found a perfectly mushroomed 9mm hollowpoint on the driveway behind me. I have no idea whay that bounced off of. There was nothing but trees and dirt downrange (no rocks visable at all). Weird stuff happnes with guns sometimes.
Old May 7, 2020, 07:53 PM   #55
JDW

The warning on steel you buy at your local store is to cover the manufactures butt.

I've shot soft steel as well as AR500 and theres certainly a difference.

My small range at home I normally shoot non magnum pistols as close as 7yards with AR steel that swings and is angled down. Never a problem. With soft steel you can shoot a .223 at 100yds and have reason to be concerned under the same circumstances.

It's all relative folks.