The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2020, 05:46 PM   #1
triplebike

The Ruger 22 caliber handguns

As far as I'm concerned there isn't a better designed 22 handgun made. Yes there are more expensive 22's, but I don't think there is a better overall design that is superior to the Ruger. I have 3, SR22, 22/45 LITE MKIV & a 22/45 5.5 standard MKIV. All three load, fire and eject ANY ammo I feed it regardless of brand, price , weight, HP or RN. All with excellent accuracies. They are all extremely easy to maintain & clean. The mags for all 3 have 1000's of rds through them without a single issue. And with Rugers stellar customer service you don't have to worry if there is a issue. Out of the box they are a joy to shoot & with a few very simple trigger mods they become a world class 22. Ive heard that some think that the SR22 is overpriced, I have to strongly disagree. My SR22 is an absolute joy to shoot, incredibly accurate, eats all ammo I feed it and is super easy to clean and maintain. I also doubt I'll ever wear any of my Rugers out. For a selling price of 4-5 hundred dollars for any of the 3 mentioned, I really don't think you can buy a better overall 22.
Old July 2, 2020, 06:41 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I think you need to really step up to do better. The Smith 41 is nicer in my opinion, but a lot more money.
Old July 2, 2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Pahoo

You're doing fine !!!!

Quote:
I think you need to really step up to do better. The Smith 41 is nicer in my opinion, but a lot more money.
True and I always say that if your first .22-auto, is a 41, you don't need to look further. but then again, what's the fun in that. I can buy three MK members for the price of one 41 and the fun-factor is still there. Then again, is there anything better than a 41? … Yep !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old July 2, 2020, 08:22 PM   #4
rodfac

I've owned Ruger Mk ll and the early Standard model pistols over the past 50 yrs, and other than a better trigger and the Byzantine take down procedure, they've been fun, accurate, and have taught literally dozens of new shooters how to safely handle a semi-auto pistol.

For the money, & if you want real quality, I doubt you can do better...and I'd have said that in 1967 when I bought my first one. Best Regards, Rod BTW, I own a M41 with all three bbl. assemblies, a Colt Woodsman Match Target 4-1/2" and several 1911 .22 uppers, but when we go to the woods, here, or out to our farm range, it's the Ruger Mll that tags along.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 2, 2020, 11:42 PM   #5
GarandTd

My only Ruger is a stainless MKIII 22/45 target model. It's a great pistol. I can darn near shoot it as well as one of my riimfire rifles and it is reliable and not picky.
Old July 3, 2020, 04:50 AM   #6
jman841

I have a Mark III 22/45 and have really begun appreciating it again as well. It's amazing how it eats every time of ammo, when very few other .22's will do so. I am a bit jealous of the Mark IV's easy take down, the Mark III can be a pain.

With that said, I believe I paid $240 for my Mark III brand new (About 10 years ago), I was really surprised to see the Mark IV 22/45 target model being nearly double the price that I paid for my Mark 3.
Old July 3, 2020, 05:20 AM   #7
jimku

Here is my MKIII Competition with a full compliment of Volquartsen parts and red dot. If anything that is any better is available for any amount of money I don't need it or want it, couldn't ever shoot it any better than I can this one and 100% reliability can't BE beat. It is minute of squirrel accurate at 100 yards all day long if I do my part.

Old July 3, 2020, 01:27 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

The Ruger Mk series are good pistols.

But they fall notably short of the Browning Buckmark (and previous Browning models) when it comes to, "extremely easy to maintain & clean." Buckmarks do not even require disassembly to clean, let alone the archaic, ridiculous take-down method for Rugers prior to the Mk IV.

Buckmark magazines are easier for small hands and weak fingers to load, and the wide open slide means malfunctions caused by bad ammo are far easier to clear - even for inexperienced shooters.

More often than not, you can pick up a Buckmark for a little less than a comparable Ruger Mk, as well. Simpler design. Cheaper to produce. But that simplicity leads to easier maintenance and better longevity.

And, for those that only buy new pistols but don't like magazine safeties, the Buckmark is, yet again, easier to defeat. Pull the grip panel, pull the magazine safety out of the pistol, and reassemble.
Unlike the new Rugers, there is no requirement to fully disassemble the fire control group, fiddle with springs, shims, pins, and overpriced aftermarket parts, and hope that alignment doesn't have to be further adjusted with more shims and filing of the aftermarket parts.

Rugers are good.
In my opinion, Buckmarks are better.

But neither is the best.
For that, you have to go back in time.
Old July 3, 2020, 01:52 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

I've owned a dozen Rugers in 22LR over the years, ranging form Single Six, MK's, SR's, & 10/22's.

They are ok guns but there are more accurate for the money and there definitely are better guns in 22LR for more money. To each their own and that is why I still love this country even though it's currently in the crapper.
Old July 3, 2020, 03:15 PM   #10
blchandl2

I have a SR22 and a 22/45. The 22/45 does have issues with truncated cone bullets. A friend has had the same issues with his. Other than that, I really enjoy shooting them and have had no other issues.
Old July 3, 2020, 03:28 PM   #11
ammo.crafter

Ruger 22

My competition .22 pistol is a Ruger MK I and yes, I did change the trigger, barrel and some other parts but it consistently beats other high end 22s.

The MK series is simply a remarkable design.
Old July 3, 2020, 03:48 PM   #12
Lavan

I sure like mine.

Very fun and accurate.
Old July 3, 2020, 07:01 PM   #13
railroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
I have a Model 41 from 1963 and I have a MarkIII 22/45. I actually enjoy shooting the Ruger more. The Model 41 has a black fixed front sight which can be hard to see at times while the ruger is fiber optic. The ruger is more reliable. Also I shoot thumbs forward so I have to watch I don't drag my thumbs on the 41. I will say the 41 is really accurate. and has a great trigger. Both are very good guns.
Old July 4, 2020, 06:13 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

I have a stainless MK II with a 5” bull barrel and target trigger and sights. Pretty much all the .22 I’ll ever need in a semi auto pistol.
Old July 4, 2020, 11:50 AM   #15
pete2

The Single Six is a good handgun. I prefer the S&W 17 or 617 to anything Ruger ever made. No comparison....
Old July 8, 2020, 01:43 AM   #16
jmstr

I agree that the MK series work extremely well- but I've never met one that didn't have a trigger pull that made me irritated: too gritty/heavy, with annoying break characterisitics.

The Buckmark Camper, out of the box, feels like a MK series after plopping down another $200 in trigger parts and then paying a 'smith to make the upgrades.

Yet, both of them pale by comparison to the more 'competition/target' oriented pistols, like the High Standards, S&W 41s, or Colt Match Targets. Or, the rarified area of the Pardini's and other $1400+ competition .22 pistols.

However, the more expensive they are, the more tweaking to 'dial them in'.

I would say the Ruger MK series is like a Mustang or Camero, while the S&W 41 is like a Corvette, the High Standards are like a precision Italian car from the 60s that had to have its carbs tuned every 6 months, and the Pardini's are like Formula 1 cars.

Which is a better design? It depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your skill levels are.

That said, the MK Series is definitely a solid performer, and they DO go 'bang' every time, and they are more accurate than 80% of the shooters I know can capitalize on.

My wife loves the 22/45 I have set up for her- but my MK series have no original parts inside the grip frame except the MSH/latch assembly.

Ammo...
Is your competition really a MK I, with the 9 round magazine? Cool!

Yet, from what you described, you have a ruger angled pistol, that is no longer a Ruger. Accuracy comes from barrel/bolt alignment coupled with feed reliability and trigger smoothness. If the barrel and bolt are no longer Ruger, and the trigger/hammer components are no longer Ruger, then it isn't really 'Ruger' that is making it so accurate.
I am no putting down your accomplishments at the line with it. Yet, we also have to acknowledge that some of this could be more about your ability compared to your neighbors ability at the line.

I have embarrassed some people at my local range when I was firing a $550 RIA 1911 and regularly getting 50 rounds into a fist-sized hole at 10 yards, when the people in question had trouble keeping 10 rounds in a 12" circle at the same distance, and they had $1500 1911s in the same caliber. One of them, after seeing what I was shooting, said I should be in a commercial for RIA.

I smiled, packed up and left. I didn't feel like explaining that I could probably have the same results, or better, with their 1911s- and that their results would not be much different on my RIA.

Yet, it IS satisfying when some firearm 'snob' looks down their nose at our choice at the beginning, and then we mop the floor with them. I get that!

Pete2- The Ruger revolvers are good solid plinkers, but you are right- the .22lr round out of a single six isn't going to be as accurate as out of a classic S&W or Colt revolver.

That is partially because the Single-Six uses a barrel optimized for the .22mag round, which is a thousandths or two larger than the .22lr.

A Single-Six in .22Mag has more accuracy/precision potential than in .22lr, due to the barrel diameter.

I have not personally fired the S&W or Colt .22lr revolvers enough to have a preference- but I envy those who have them and get a chance to use them often.

They are elegant revolvers with great potential.

Last edited by jmstr; July 8, 2020 at 01:58 AM.
Old July 8, 2020, 12:22 PM   #17
tallball

I did not like the trigger on my SR22 and could not hit squat with it.

I did not like the trigger on my LCRx and could not hit squat with it.

My two 22lr Single Sixes have been excellent.

My Ruger Standard has been excellent.

I won a bid on a Mark II this weekend and look forward to seeing it soon.
Old July 8, 2020, 01:58 PM   #18
jman841

For those saying the trigger on the Ruger Mark series is bad, I am curious as to what you're comparing it to?

Here's mine with a Tandemkross drop in trigger. I am very impressed with this trigger (Was $43).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JQSNEx92dRznc2qt9
Old July 8, 2020, 06:09 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

Contradiction at face value. That's awesome.

If the Ruger Mk series factory triggers are so good, why are so many of you replacing them with aftermarket triggers?
Old July 8, 2020, 06:28 PM   #20
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Contradiction at face value. That's awesome.

If the Ruger Mk series factory triggers are so good, why are so many of you replacing them with aftermarket triggers?
I prefer a flat faced trigger. The stock trigger is not bad, but it's very curved.
Old July 8, 2020, 06:58 PM   #21
jmstr

Reasons I dislike the Ruger OEM MK series trigger.

1-no overtravel adjustment.
2- no pretravel adjustment.

The following are related to the trigger, and regard trigger 'feel', but are not the trigger.

3- too much creep after pre-travel taken up.
4- too gritty at break point.
5- too heavy of pull weight before hammer falls.

Solution to the last two points involved:
  • replacement hammer
  • replacement hammer bushing
  • replacement sear
  • replacement trigger bar/disconnector.
After all of those parts are changed, with a change in trigger [and modification of spring on trigger], my set up now has
1 adjustable overtravel stop
2-adjustable pretravel stop
3-pull weight close to 2.25 lbs
4-no creep.
5- no gritty feel.
6-crisp break.
What am I comparing it to?
  • 1911 with full 3lb trigger set up [$2000+ versions- not a RIA $550 version, even though I have the RIA and like it].
  • High Standard 106 Trophy
  • High Standard 102 Trophy
  • High Standard HD Military
  • Browning Buckmark

Keep in mind that I also really disliked the Beretta 87Target's trigger, until I changed the trigger to one with overtravel stop, and changed the sear bar, and had the sear bar welded up/ground down where I wanted to reduce a lot of the other characteristics I disliked. I did all the fitting myself, and had a gunsmith just tack weld the bar where I told him to.

Now, it is where I want it.

Admittedly, I am a trigger snob.

a good friend of mine likes my guns, but doesn't notice how bad his trigger are- as they go bang when he wants them to.
Old July 8, 2020, 10:45 PM   #22
reddog81

The Rugers are good, but I'd prefer any of my Colts Woodmans, High Standards, or S&W K22 over my Ruger Standard or 22/45. Ruger magazines might be easier to find, but when it comes to accuracy, reliability, trigger, cleaning or sights the others are far better.

One of the few guns I've ever sold was a Ruger Security Six. Never could warm up to a single action .22.
Old July 9, 2020, 06:03 AM   #23
MisterCrabby

Will I be considered a heretic for suggesting the Walther PPQ 22?

Its full size, same as the big caliber siblings. The grip ergonomics are very comfortable and confident. The trigger is the PPQ trigger. The trigger has minimal take up, crisp break and a very short reset. Makes for quick follow up shots. Super fun for steel challenge. I think the sights are average and the slide is not factory milled for optics.

There is a 4” which i have, that has a threaded barrel variant, and a 5” version. You can typically get them for between 300 to 400 bucks.

So, should I grab some firewood? (-;

From the website:

https://waltherarms.com/ppq-22/
Old July 9, 2020, 07:03 AM   #24
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstr View Post
Reasons I dislike the Ruger OEM MK series trigger.

1-no overtravel adjustment.
2- no pretravel adjustment.
This is actually not true. My stock trigger had a pre-travel adjustment built into it, it was just screwed all the way in.

Here's a picture of the Mark II trigger with both pre-travel and Over-Travel

Yes the Ruger Mark series is not a $3000 trigger or a fine tuned aftermarket trigger, but it's a lot of a lot better than most striker fired guns on the market.

It also cost me under $250 brand new when I bought mine. The browning buckmarks were $350-$500 at the time.

I realize the Mark IV's are now much more expensive, but I am very pleased with the trigger on my Mark III 22/45 for a under $250 plinker.
Old July 9, 2020, 10:53 PM   #25
HisSoldier

I love my MkIII Target, after removing the mag safety, the loaded chamber indicator and child lock and working over the trigger. It's amazingly accurate and reliable. I understand the ire about the takedown but heck, mine has several thousand shots fired without a cleaning of any kind.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.