The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 1, 2019, 02:30 AM   #1
MrBot

Red Dot & 3x Magnifier Recomendations for Self Defense In the Home

..putting together an Aero Precision AR15 in 5.56 should something go bump in the night. ..bedside AR. ..will combine that with BUIS probably lower 1/3 co-witnessed, unless I get talked out of that plan. ..has been known to happen. ..always welcome advice, suggestions, criticisms & all. But right now that sounds like the plan, along with an attached flashlight controlled with my forward hand. ..figure it would be nice to have a Red Dot that could be left On all the x that goes into a Sleep Mode to save the battery, but comes to life when moved. It would also be great to not have to spend a lot of $. I've also thought about adding a 3x magnifier for more fun @ the range figuring I may simply have it removed other than while target shooting but am concerned the Red Dot & 3x magnifier may not align. I'm generally pretty easy on my equipment so I don't figure military grade optics are a must. Any & all input welcomed.
Old February 2, 2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Targa

A red dot is certainly idea for close quarters and depending on your vision, maybe a hundred yards or so give or take. I never tried the 3x mag with the red dot but I would imagine that your dot will be 3x bigger as well.
I had a Vortex Sparc 2 for a red dot that I really liked, decided that my AR was more for range use so I decided to get a Vortex 3X prism scope which I really like as well but obviously doesn’t have as quick of target acquisition as the red dot.
Their is always a give and take it seems.
If you are looking for long battery life without a huge price, Primary Arms might be something you want to look at, battery life is where Vortex lacks a bit.
Old February 3, 2019, 04:32 AM   #3
MrBot

Yes, probably magnifying the red dot 3x may be an issue worth studying. A 2MOA RD @ 100 yds would cover 6". So far I've kind of rejected the Vortex because I'm told it takes a while to turn on. If true, not good for HD. The Sig Sauer Romeo 5 sounded promising except it doesn't come with a mount that lower 1/3 co-witnesses. So with BUIS u may be stuck with absolute co-witness with it's kinda odd ht. Since I've never had a RD/BUIS set-up I've no idea if I could live with absolute or not. Right now I'm leaning toward a PA RD with an American Defense Mount, PA 3X Magnifier (maybe Vortex) & Troy Folding A2 height Sights. Another possibility is to go with the Romeo 5 if its low mount will lower 1/3 co-witness with something like the Magpul Pro BUIS. It seems the Pro MIGHT be a tad shorter than std A2s so they may be about the right ht with the low mount.
Old February 3, 2019, 09:39 AM   #4
Bozz10mm

I have the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 mounted on my PSA AR 15 with the Magpul BUIS, not the Pro series tho. IIRC it comes with two mounts. Anyway, mine is set up for absolute co witness. I keep the rear BUIS in the lowered position and it stays that way until the red dot sight quits or malfunctions (which it hasn't). So, Im not really sure if it matters whether it is a 1/3 co witness or absolute co witness.

BTW, the Romeo 5 is an excellent red dot. The auto wake feature is instantaneous and it goes back to sleep after a minute. Takes just the slightest movement to wake it. I have seen them on sale recently (might still be) for $120 at Palmetto State Armory.
Old February 3, 2019, 06:13 PM   #5
MrBot

..appreciate the comeback, Bozz10mm. So far I'm liking both the Romeo5 & the Primary Arms RDs. You're right though, I'm probably making too big a deal outta the lower 1/3 co-witness issue with the Romeo5. I'll have flip-up BUIS so it shouldn't matter. I'll study this a bit more & the fotm is either way may be good. ..could easily come down to price. PA sells a Quick Release mount 4 about $70 & that MIGHT be a good deal in case I'd ever wanna get 2 the BUIS n a hurry. ..figure I'll add the 3x magnifier 4 a bit more fun @ the range. Primary Arms sells 1 4 less than a Vortex but would be great to 1st get some testimonials on it b4 purchasing. I've read where folks give high marks 2 the Vortex 3x magnifier but will try & find reviews on the PA. ..been building this li'l beauty of an AR15 since June & by golly I gotta say I'm more'n rdy 2 get these parts outta the boxes & put some rds downrange!
Old February 3, 2019, 08:55 PM   #6
Sharkbite

I have a version of the Sig Romeo 5. It was offered with a aaa battery and the circle/dot reticle that i much prefer.

Its an AWESOME budget reddot. I have it mounted on a 9” 300blackout SBR. I can ring our 8” steel plates at 300yards with boring regularity. The 500 yd plates are just a little too far for my eyes with this optic.

No magnifer, just the 1 moa dot inside the circle will do anything i want to do with a short AR.
Old February 4, 2019, 12:50 AM   #7
MrBot

Yepper, Sharkbite. Kinda thinking 'bout scrapping the 3x mag. Now it's kinda between the Romeo5 & a PA model. At this pt it may come down to price.
Old February 4, 2019, 06:25 AM   #8
MrBot

Welper, I found the Romeo5 @ Palmetto State Armory 4 $119.99 & went ahead & ordered it. That was gonna be a lot cheaper than the PA models since you gotta buy the mount separately for them whereas u get 2 mounts with the Sig. I'm kinda slow making up my mind on this kinda stuff so it might take awhile selecting BUIS. There was the argument a PA RD with a QR mount 4 use in the event u needed to get the thing off the gun in a hurry woulda been better 4 HD but I chose the Sig instead. ..not gonna look back though. It oughta work I'd think. ..got an email ? into Troy Industries on if their std folding battle sights lower 1/3 or absolute co-witness with the Romeo5. ..kinda pricey but about everybody loves 'em. ..not sure I'll go with them but I might. Thanks 4 the input. ..decided the 3x mag wasn't really what I wanted. This is gonna be set up 4 HD so might as well keep it that way. KISS is dang near always the way to go. I got another AR15 with a 1.5 - 4 scope 4 target shooting. This 1's gonna be dedicated to saving my hide if need be so I figure I might as well practice with it as I'd use it.