The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 24, 2020, 07:26 PM   #1
Prof Young

More thoughts on teaching gun safety.

Have been taking seven year old grandson "hunting" with his BB gun. (Daisy Red Rider) One of the key components of these trips is learning gun safety in the woods etc. He gets a negative point when he doesn't pay attention to where his barrel is pointed, or has his finger on the trigger etc. Today, as he was cocking the gun, he managed to point it right at my head. Yikes.

Our deal is that when we can go to the woods multiple times and he comes out with zero negative points every time then we'll hunt with a "real" gun.

I think he is getting better . . . but it will probably be many more trips before we get to the 22. I'm guessing getting older will help.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 24, 2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Pahoo

The "Muzzle", has the last word !!!

We teach firearm safety, all the time and the most important point is, "Muzzle-Control". We use a safety rifle that is made by Daisey or so I think. ..
These are pretty pricey and as an alternate, tape a small LED flashlight and turn it on. Practice handling back and forth, walking around and even standing it up on a wall or even the stove; whatever. …….

Be Safe !!!
Old March 25, 2020, 08:55 AM   #3
FAS1

Check out the "Safety On" books from Yehuda Remer (PewPewJew) to help teach gun safety to kids. There's even a coloring book version.

https://www.yehudaremer.com/books
Old March 25, 2020, 09:53 AM   #4
MarkCO

All kids are different. My boys did great and were shooting National level matches by the time they were 9 years old. But I have had to remove 16 year olds to 61 year olds from competitions for unsafe gun handling.

As the Head Coach of a HS Trap team, I find it makes no difference if they are good or bad students, mischievous or saints. There is another element when they understand they are dealing with deadly weapons reserved for responsible adults, some cross that threshold easier than others. I find that taught right, it usually propels the kids to another level as a person. Many Moms have thanked me for "whatever you did to my kid."

We did not allow toy guns or first person shooter games of any kind when they were little. They both saw wild game killed up close when they were young, and both, at 12 shot their own game, cleaned it and butchered it. I feel that the real context of seeing what firearms do to living things is beneficial, and the glorification of killing in the first person shooter games is detrimental.

Best of luck and kudos for passing on a way of life you your grandson.