The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 7, 2020, 01:17 PM   #26
mel80

edit pic didnt work
Old June 7, 2020, 05:38 PM   #27
stagpanther

I took it out today and zeroed the ABL with it's on-board laser. Right after that, the bluetooth on the unit went dead. Put in a fresh battery, did the bluetooth reset--no go, she's dead. So far, the unit has not even come close to be as useful as Applied ballistics software on my phone (the app is free) and using a good scope. Wheeling around all those menus--your game target will be long gone by the time you're done playing with it IMO.

I went on the ATN member's forum looking for help--it's filled with people having problems with their gear--I wish I had found it earlier.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 8, 2020 at 07:21 AM.
Old June 8, 2020, 06:00 PM   #28
stagpanther

Gotta give credit where credit's due--customer service is definitely not one of their shortcomings--I called ATN today and within 1 hour a received an e-mail that a replacement ABL unit was on it's way.
Old June 10, 2020, 09:47 PM   #29
mel80

just caught this , on the scope menu turn on the advanced shortcuts then u dont have to scroll threw the text menus .good to hear on the abl

did they let u keep the first abl i have heard of them doing that
Old June 13, 2020, 12:07 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
did they let u keep the first abl i have heard of them doing that
They did--but the bluetooth doesn't work, so it doesn't do anything. I told them I wanted to send it back, they said they won't take it because they don't actually do anything there with hardware. The stuff's made in China--so they must essentially just bring it in and sell it. Kinda interesting it has an export restriction--considering it was imported from China.

I've been thinking about their ballistics targeting capability--and you would know much more about this than I can figure out--but I can't tell if their ballistics data includes an on-board calculator for things like spin drift and coriolis effect, it's point of aim feature at long distance could be pretty far off as you range further out. The two or three shots I got off before the bluetooth went belly up (on the first ABL I bought) were about 4" off at 125 yds after I zeroed the ABL. My ballistics input data is pretty accurate since I record lots of data through my labradar for my hand-loaded ammo.
Old June 13, 2020, 05:19 PM   #31
mel80

keep it for spare housing and battery cover and lenses

my experiance and others experiance from ppl i know personally the onboartd balistic calcs work great , we dont use the wind drift part of it though just distance

when u zero ur rifle witht he one shot zero u have to do it at base magnification , i personally use a 50y zero on the grendel this gives me a 50 and 2xx zero depending on the round im shooting

for example the 90g tnts im shooting are 0 at 50/230 and 19 inches low at 400
Old June 13, 2020, 05:53 PM   #32
stagpanther

I rezeroed today but didn't zero the ABl since it was too sunny out. I have to admit that since it appears the level is calculated by software and what I assume must be an on-board GPS receiver coupled to a level algorithm of some sort--that's pretty cool since that eliminates the whole tracking hardware issue with conventional optics. The technology is pretty sophisticated--but I'm guessing is "dumbed down" from the military-grade stuff. I just wish there was a way to connect the RLF software to the scope--it appears everything has to go through Obsidian 4. It's also kinda cool there's no limit (theoretically) to windage and elevation.
Old June 13, 2020, 06:07 PM   #33
mel80

if u zero the abl at night witht he scope in night mode u can see the laser threw the scope
Old June 13, 2020, 06:50 PM   #34
stagpanther

hmmm--that sounds like fun. ; ) Does it burn the ABL battery out fast if you use the laser for actual targeting? The video says don't use the laser except for zeroing.
Old June 13, 2020, 08:47 PM   #35
mel80

I don't know but if they say not to do it then I wouldnt
Old June 14, 2020, 11:21 AM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
I don't know but if they say not to do it then I wouldnt
I'm guessing it's a liability thing more than anything else. ; )