The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 27, 2012, 10:31 AM   #1
jimwill48

CAM Gunsmitting on American Guns

Noticed will watching this show that they CAM mill receivers, frames for several diff guns, 1911, Colt Peacemaker, etc. Is there somewhere that you can purchase the P-Code for various receivers and frames or for the entire gun...

Last edited by jimwill48; June 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: CAM Gunsmitting on American Guns
Old June 27, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
mete

That's a dumb show !! I saw a bit of it tonight .The "gunsmith " was doing a trigger job on a S&W with a DREMEL tool.
DON"T DO IT !! That's a bubba-ized trigger job !
Old June 28, 2012, 03:20 AM   #3
impalacustom

What? Dremel and Duct tape, that's the only way to gunsmith.

To the OP, I'm sure there are places that will sell the original prints so you can input it into Pro-E, Solidworks, AutoCad, etc... then convert from there. I have never seen the code for sale but I've seen the drawings for sale.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:01 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

What about EDM? I met a fellow who needed a frizzen for how 1803 Harper Ferry rifle. He used his workplace EDM to make it.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:08 AM   #5
dahermit

CAD = Computer Assisted Drafting. CAM = Computer Assisted Machining. CNC = Computer Numerical Control.

CAD/CAM = Integrated process of designing object using CAD, converting the design to a CNC program, producing the object on a CNC machine.

Last edited by dahermit; June 28, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old July 3, 2012, 08:20 AM   #6
drail

Yup, I love to watch their "smiths" sitting at their bench and filing a part while they hold it in their hands while they have a vise on their bench that they don't seem to ever use for anything.
Old July 4, 2012, 12:33 PM   #7
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I'm sure the cameras , and the producers behind them have a negative effect on those gunsmiths . Just because you saw it on TV , don't make it so ! I see the show as having a positive effect on gun ownership , even though much of it is obviously staged for the cameras . Any positive light is good light . Oh and there's no denying the eye candy on that show , they are starting to import some too !
Old July 15, 2012, 03:10 PM   #8
wyop

There are sources of G/M code for various receivers and parts... but usually, someone has had to work pretty hard to create those programs and they're going to want some money for it.

If you want to create your own G/M code for a CNC machine, you could start with a dimensioned engineering drawing of what you want to machine.

EDM: Yes, EDM can be used to machine gun parts. It's slower than using a lathe or mill, but it can be highly accurate. EDM is good when you want to create inside corners on something like a magazine well (eg, AR-15 receiver mag wells are often wire EDM'ed) or you want to put in a blind hole without a broach (you then use what is known as a "die sinker" EDM machine).

Last edited by wyop; July 15, 2012 at 06:15 PM.