The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 25, 2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Blade37db

Benelli R1 vs. BAR Lightweight Stalker

I'm looking at these 2 in either .308 or .30-.06. Opinions and/or experience with them? I like the fact that both can be had with open sights. I also looked at the Remington (750 Woodsman?) but there seems to be a lot of negative experiences with it.
Old October 25, 2007, 09:11 PM   #2
samsmix

For what it's worth, my father had a BAR in 7mm Rem Mag. It was a VERY accurate (0.5" MOA) semi-auto. . .when it wasn't at the factory being repaired! My Dad shot only factory ammo in this gun, and cleaned it after he shot it. It broke down ALOT.

He wrote a letter to Browning calling it, ". . . the most discombobulating piece of worthless pig iron it has ever been my displeasure to own or shoot!"

I don't know about the R-1, but I had a Reminton auto in .30-06 and took deer with it out to 300yds or so, and seen it hit steel targets at 500.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?