The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 4, 2018, 08:53 PM   #1
jackstrawIII

Flush Fit Mag for Rem 700

I know there are lots of DBM systems available for the Remington 700, but they all seem to stick way down below the bottom of the stock, which is not really practical on a hunting rifle.

Can anyone point me towards a high quality mag system for a short action Model 700 that is truly flush fit to the bottom of the stock line? I've heard mixed reports on the quality and durability of the Kwik Klip. Anything else out there that you guys would recommend?

Thanks!
Old June 4, 2018, 10:06 PM   #2
jmr40

Remington made a few factory rifles with 4 round, flush fit magazines. Finding one of those may be what you're looking for.

I used to think this was a bigger deal than it really is. I've used a couple of rifles with 5-10 round magazines that protrude anywhere from 1/2" to 3-4" below the stock. It wasn't nearly the handicap I thought it would be.

Winston Churchill
Old June 5, 2018, 01:19 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I generally agree. Having used the M1A and AR in competition, I can say prone position still works without too much ground interference. I also took the M1A through Gunsite's basic rifle class (270) where we had to practice quick shooting position acquisition from sling carry, as well as numerous quick positions as well as the shooting. I won the shoot-off at the end of the class, so it couldn't have interfered too badly.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 6, 2018, 04:24 PM   #4
Scorch

Remington made some DBM rifles, and you can buy the parts and install them on your 700. Another is the "Kwik Clip" system, essentially the same but not quite as well made as the factory parts (but cheaper). And a few of the DBM systems out there now have the M5 system which is almost flush with the bottom when you use a 3-round magazine. Research on line and make your choices.

Tags
dbm , magazine , mods , recommendation