The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 11, 2018, 07:38 PM   #1
ADClope

Savage MSR Muzzle Brake Indexing

Let me preface this by saying that I fully understand that I'm probably being anal about this, and this is, I guess, more of a general question as I'm curious about indexing a brake anyways.

So...

I recently bought a Savage MSR and I noticed that the muzzle brake is ever so slightly clocked a little bit to the left past center. You can see it more in the second picture using both flat sides of the brake.

My question both with this rifle and in general, with a brake like this, does it need to be absolutely square? Would you ever want a brake off center?

I guess just looking for some general info from folks far smarter than I.

Thanks

*** EDIT - Crap, and if someone could help me understand how to shrink those pictures down a bit, that would be much appreciated. Sorry about that...

Old October 12, 2018, 06:11 AM   #2
Mobuck

Functionally, there's no reason to mess with it. Aesthetically (if you're OCD) it may drive you insane but it's still not going to change the way the gun operates.
The answer may be to use a locknut, a different crush washer, or "clocking shims".
Personally, it's not worth messing with.
Old October 13, 2018, 10:08 PM   #3
zeke

Some rifles (not specifically this model/brand) were deliberately set up with ports to offset the off to side muzzle climb imparted by the twist direction. Have no clue if Savage did offset that one deliberately.

Recently got a MSR hunter in 6.5 cm. While the muzzle break/compensator is very effective, there was a noticeable increase in accuracy after it was removed. At least with the factory loads used.

As usual, might want to try it first to see how it shoots.

Last edited by zeke; October 14, 2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old October 14, 2018, 07:29 AM   #4
9x19

Re pics: When you upload images to imgur, just below the "Add to album" button there is an "Auto resize" button. I use 640x480 to better fit the websites I frequent.