The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2018, 07:30 PM   #1
06shooter

Pulling bullets

When using the RCBS bullet puller , it leaves a subtle ring impression around the bullet. Does this compromise accuracy?
Old February 6, 2018, 07:36 PM   #2
gw44

I do not keep bullets I have pulled, just me, but I would think you would be ok using them !
Old February 6, 2018, 07:47 PM   #3
jugornot

Use them for fouling shots. I have reused some when doing load work ups and was looking at muzzle velocity only.
Old February 6, 2018, 07:48 PM   #4
gwpercle

An inertia puller will leave no ring and the bullets can be reused like new .... Almost new .
I have shot thousands of inertia pulled military FMJ bullets with excellent results
Gary
Old February 6, 2018, 08:09 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

It's my understanding that it does not. Reason being, the shockwave emanating from the nose of the bullet, does not contact the ring. I think Unclenick explained that here once. Maybe he'll chime in and clarify/correct.
Old February 6, 2018, 08:15 PM   #6
06shooter

Does the inertia pullers damage plastic tipped bullets ?
Old February 6, 2018, 08:15 PM   #7
disseminator

I use mine for fouler and load development.
Old February 6, 2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Northof50

06shooter - My inertia pulled ballistic tip bullets don't deform. About the only real damage I've seen is from the crimp on plated bullets. But, accuracy is a relative term. For a defensive shooter, looking at targets 7-25 yards away, accuracy will be different than someone shooting in 1000yrd matches. I'm loading "practice" loads primarily, so I use them again. Don't know that I would in a hunting pistol/rifle load.
Old February 6, 2018, 08:30 PM   #9
06shooter

Good deal , maybe I’ll go get me one and give it a whirl.
Old February 6, 2018, 08:36 PM   #10
zplinker

Rick Jamison did a study of that topic a few years ago, and concluded that there was 'zero' difference in accuracy. This was written up in one of the outdoor mags, not sure where or when.
Old February 6, 2018, 08:54 PM   #11
06shooter

Thanks for the replies and help.
Old February 6, 2018, 10:17 PM   #12
603Country

When I had a new barrel put on my 223, the new chamber was very snug. The reloads for barrel 1 would not chamber. I used the RCBS collet puller for a couple hundred 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, and there was a ring around each bullet, about 1/3 down from the plastic tip. When I ‘reused’ them for barrel 2, the plan was that they’d be for plinking by the grandkids, but when I shot them they pretty much shot like new ones. There did seem to be a few flyers from time to time, and since some of the bullets had deeper collet puller rings, I assumed that was the reason (maybe).

When I use my inertia puller, I keep a wadded up Kleenex in the end, so bullet Tips don’t get deformed.
Old February 6, 2018, 10:35 PM   #13
06shooter

Thanks for the tip , I will keep that in mind.
Old February 6, 2018, 10:37 PM   #14
Dufus

Quote:
When I use my inertia puller, I keep a wadded up Kleenex in the end, so bullet Tips don’t get deformed.
I used wadded up toilet paper for awhile then switched to one of those orange foam ear plugs. Works good and the powder doesn't get mixed up in the paper.
Old February 6, 2018, 10:52 PM   #15
ms6852

If you use one of the foam type ear plug in the inertia pullers, it will prevent damage to the bullets.
Old February 6, 2018, 11:02 PM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I wouldn't be to concerned seeing a lightly made tooling ring. Where I would be concerned is how much crimp round over or banding of brass was applied.

I've only removed bullets one way. Inertia pulled. To do it correctly without bullet tip damage a reloader has to watch his bullet pulling closely. Knowing when to shut down the forcible pounding it takes in getting a bullet to move forward in its cartridge brass is a major step in learning the tools operation. Its a technique one acquires over time with use. To this day I'm not always successful at second guessing a bullets OAL length & movement.
Old February 6, 2018, 11:13 PM   #17
06shooter

Good to know about foam ear plugs, just don’t use any with ear wax on them , right ? I’m not crimping for the two cartridges I load for, 7mm08 and 3006.
Old February 6, 2018, 11:24 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

The ring should be fine.
I've never had a problem with minor witness marks from pulling.

The Barnes XPBs that I had to drill and tap to remove, due to insane neck tension, though... They got scrapped.
(I already had an inertial puller and a Hornady collet puller, but bought an RCBS collet puller specifically to yank those bullets out ... because only RCBS offered .475" diameter at the time. And even then, the RCBS tool couldn't clamp hard enough to overcome the INSANE neck tension of those cases.)
Old February 7, 2018, 07:49 AM   #19
Yosemite Steve

Glad to know about the ear plugs. I have been using cotton balls.
Old February 7, 2018, 09:52 AM   #20
reinert

Plus 1 on Dufus' post #14

Though I haven't had to use it often, I have a Frankford Arsenal impact/kinetic bullet puller (pretty much like a light blue instead of the green RCBS one; cheaper, too). I, too, use just a lightly wadded up piece of tissue or paper towel to catch the bullet and powder and it works well for me (I WILL remember the ear plug deal mentioned here; thanks!).

You can also watch as the bullet gets near expulsion through the transparent puller case, so you can tap more gently as that's about to happen, saving a bit more trauma to the bullet. I've never noticed any damage to bullets using one of these pullers; never had to pull one crimped bullet, yet, but I would imagine it's a bit harder on the case than the bullet (IMO). Just no problems with the impact puller as I need it; no worries using the bullets over, either.

Having a bullet puller is as needful a piece of reloading equipment as is the stuck case removal kit. "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." (Cpt. Call, Lonesome Dove)
Old February 7, 2018, 10:50 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
You can also watch as the bullet gets near expulsion through the transparent puller case, so you can tap more gently as that's about to happen, saving a bit more trauma to the bullet.
For me, the final steps of inertial extraction are performed carefully in order to prevent case mouth damage, rather than bullet damage.
I've had a few 'heavies' take bad bounces off the ear plug and mangle expensive brass. It isn't much fun to be pulling loads down, specifically to save the components, only to mangle the most valuable part in the process.
Old February 7, 2018, 12:53 PM   #22
reinert

Cast bullets...

Times when I use my inertia puller the MOST is when I'm developing a load for my Sharps rifles (cast bullets and b.p.). When my C.O.A.L. needs some tweeking one way or the other, the bullet seater and the inertia puller can be hard on a 540 grn., .45 cal., lead alloy cast bullet. On that bullet trauma deal, there's no waste nor worry; they just go back into the pot for a recycling. No issues with the cases, either; works good all around for me.
Old February 7, 2018, 12:59 PM   #23
jackstrawIII

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of collet style pullers over the inertial type. Haven't seen any issues shooting them. Enjoy!
Old February 8, 2018, 02:10 PM   #24
jamaica

Pulling bullets? Not a big fan of that. Just go shoot 'em. The exception is if they are somehow loaded too hot and not safe to shoot, then yes, pull bullets. I have used the press and a pair of pliers to pull bullets. Ya the pliers do leave a lil mark on the bullet, but it will still shoot.
Old February 9, 2018, 03:27 PM   #25
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Post #14: one of those orange foam ear plugs.
Yep. That's the way to go. And it's something most people who load their own happen to have handy . Pleasant coincidence.