The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 26, 2011, 04:27 PM   #1
oldcars

What kind of paint for a gun?

Hi, I am in the middle of my first 2 Mauser builds and one of the rifles has a few parts that are pitted, etc. Long story short, I want to Paint the rifle for now because I don't really have the extra money to blue it, and I don't want to wait 2 weeks for shipping and spend all the money to buy duracoat and everything that is involved in that process. I will be bead blasting the barreled action, bottom metal, bolt shroud, and scope mount and then painting them flat black.

Has anyone done this before? What is the best Paint to use that can be obtained locally at a hardware or department store ? I was thinking BBQ paint or woodstove paint? any other ideas? I will wait for a warm day and heat the parts first, and spray light thin coats, but any other tricks?

I know this won't be as durrable as Duracoat or Bluing, but I just need something that will be in-expensive and work for now while I see if the gun even shoots well !

If it matters, the gun is a dinged up but #'s matching "byf 42" mod.98 with a 7mm-08 A&B 24" barrel , Parker Hale trigger,old pitted FN bolt shroud, old pitted Leupold 1 piece mount & rings, & a Parker Hale stock.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:54 PM   #2
GURU1911

Paint job for your rifle

I would suggest you consider one of the high-temp spray coatings used on engines & exhaust headers. Consult with the fellows at napa / o-reilly / auto zone or a paint and body shop which does engine powder-coatings. Be sure to degrease the metal very well before spraying. Good luck & report back to the forum readers how the project turned out.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 27, 2011, 07:41 AM   #3
dlb435

Use Gun Kote (Brownell's http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH )
This stuff stinks like heck when it's in the oven. Be sure to get the little ladies permission first or build a small oven to cure the peice outside.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Don P

I tried header paint on a barrel and the cleaning solvents we use WILL take the paint off.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5
GURU1911

Send your pistol to "robar" or "coal creek armory" and have your pistol properly plated with a coating that meets your personal requirements. The "robar np3" is my personal favorite !!!

Guru1911

Old May 28, 2011, 12:55 AM   #6
oldcars

Well, it's a barreled Mauser action so it won't fit in the oven. I blued the other one I am building but I don't want to spend the money to blue this one right now, plus some of the parts were pitted so I am just going to Blast it and paint it with something. I won't try header paint!
Old May 28, 2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Geezerbiker

Have you considered DuraCoat? I bought some for my Mauser .308 tactical/varmint rifle but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I plan to soda blast all the parts then spray it on with an airbrush. The nice thing about DuraCoat is that it's a 2 part epoxy that doesn't have to be baked on...

Tony
Old May 28, 2011, 09:16 AM   #8
chadstrickland

Since it cannot fit in the oven..and this is something to do in a fix..get some baking laqure ( idk how to spell it ) from brownells and use a heat gun ..its works ok.not as good as a oven tho and it doesn't take as long as that duro kote ..but its not as good..imo
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old May 30, 2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Crazy Reformer

Paint for a gun

I was hoping that there was more discussion on this topic because my M93/1916 that I bought 42years ago looks like it was painted with a high gloss black paint. All of the metal parts except for the bolt look like they were painted not blued,the coating started to chip on the magazine follower so I removed what acted like paint and revealed a nicly blued follower. Has anyone ever seen this before?
Old May 31, 2011, 12:08 AM   #10
Edward429451

Wallyworld sells Milspec Krylon in a spray can. It worked great on my shotgun.
Old May 31, 2011, 01:53 AM   #11
Clark

This is what I use:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct....24&sid=1917830

It is about $4/ spray can at the local hardware store.

It will peel right off highly polished steel, and it will stick like glue and wear like iron on a clean rough finish.

I use it on stainless steel barrels and fiber glass stocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaintBarrelMuzzlesmall.jpg (29.8 KB, 1469 views)
File Type: jpg paintMask.jpg (237.8 KB, 1257 views)
File Type: jpg PaintBlack.jpg (80.0 KB, 1370 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 31, 2011, 09:35 AM   #12
GURU1911

Attention: Mr. Clark

Ye-haw, but that looks good. I assume you only had to let it air dry. Keep us guys posted on how well it wears & holds up over time. I would be interested in giving this a try one day.

Thanks for sharing with the shooters of this forum.

Guru1911

Old May 31, 2011, 09:37 AM   #13
candr44

Engine paint holds up well to solvents. Lowe's also sells Rustoleum Profesional High Performance Enamel paint in a spray can that holds up well. It comes in a taller than usual can and I have only seen it in stainless steel and flat black. I've used both of these paints on a couple rifles and the Rustoleum paint seems to hold up better.

There are appliance epoxy paints and high temperature epoxy paints for brake calipers that seem to hold up well but I haven't tried them on a gun.
Old June 1, 2011, 10:04 PM   #14
oldcars

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old June 3, 2011, 10:07 PM   #15
Mobuck

Krylon is my choice for Bubba specials.
Old June 10, 2011, 02:27 PM   #16
jglenn

paint

Cerakote is easily the best and hardest paint you can apply by yourself.

goes on super thin. no runs at all and is hard as nails once it's heat cured.

you can make yourself a heat box quite easily if you need a long heating box.
Old June 25, 2011, 10:38 AM   #17
Mr. Whimsy

Interesting... will Krylon or engine paint stay on if the parts are not "roughened"?

Also, thanks to all the posters who didn't actually read the question and suggested "Duracoat" or other expensive coatings like Robar NP3 despite the OP's desire to do this on the cheap.
Old June 25, 2011, 11:58 AM   #18
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Benjamin-Moore acrylic latex , applied with a Brush of course !
Old May 18, 2012, 10:45 PM   #19
dday1203

rustoleum

I have RUSTOLEUM paint on barrels many times. I like to use the fine textured kind and follow up with a clear coat enamel. It holds up quite well. nice thing is if it gets chipped you can fix it up fairly easily
Old May 19, 2012, 02:33 PM   #20
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I just converted several Mausers "Spanish Flat bottoms 1892" to 257 Roberts. one was pretty bad with pits.
I was at Harbor Freight and bought one of their little air brush kits for $ 12.00 to 14.00 Dollars. then ordered some Dura Coat from Brownells. "Woodland green" was the color.
I sprayed several cotes and let it sit 15 to 20 minuets between coats, it was almost 100 degrees outside here in Arizona. so it dried quickly.
I then let them sit in a corner for several weeks to cure.
It came out so nice I did three more of the Mauser actions.
on clean-up the thing I did wrong was I used Acetone in the plastic cup that came with the air brush.
I then used a paint reducer from an auto paint store and it worked great.
I jeweled the bolts and then drilled and taped the receivers. Three of them I sold for $425.00 each!
The forth I gave to a 14 year old boy who was interested in shooting and hunting. I made a reloading die for an arbor press, like a lee classic. Mom keeps the bolt

Have fun that's the important thing!

Ed

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"
Old May 20, 2012, 04:53 AM   #21
plateshooter

I have used Krylon truck bed liner paint on several guns. Spray it on and wait until you can not smell any solvent from the painted surface to be sure it is completely cured. Takes about a week if I remember correctly. Works great on metal and plastic stocks as well.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:03 AM   #22
Mrgunsngear

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alumahyde II. IMO, it's the best do it yourself finishe that doesn't require baking. As long as you let it cure for a week or two, it'll last a long, long time...
Old May 20, 2012, 10:26 AM   #23
Jo6pak

+1 on Duracoat

They have a new shake and spray system that is as easy as spray paint.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:52 AM   #24
tobnpr

Year old thread....
Old May 20, 2012, 06:26 PM   #25
jimisbell

I just painted a Stevens 820B with Rustoleum. The client didnt want to spring for bluing or duracote or cerecote. Hell the gun isnt worth more that $125 in good shape. And this was not in good shape. I have to replace two springs in it and he wanted it "refinished". If he were not a friend I would have turned down the job, but even after telling him it wasnt worth the time or money he wanted "something done" so I suggested a coat of Rustoleum. It looks prety good so far.