The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 4, 2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Wrothgar

K-31 scope mounting

First: Don't direct me to the K-31 forum. I didn't care for it (nothing against the people, it was just a pain to use).

Second: I know where to get the rail and rings.

So... that clamp on mount can be mounted by, say, a technical ignoramus like myself? (it took me 2 hours to put a Mosin bolt back together). And those rings... it says they're for a .22, so, do I have to use a .22 scope for it? Thanks for any help!
Old August 4, 2010, 06:09 PM   #2
the rifleer

If you can use and allan wrench then you are fully qualified to mount it yourself! It just clamps on as the name implies, it isn't difficult at all. You can use any scope you want to with it, you just have to have rings that fit both the scope and the mount.

Its kind of one of those things that you figure it out as soon as you look at it. If you don't, it comes with instructions.
Old August 4, 2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Pahoo

That ring is showing a .22 dovetail base mount for a 1" tube scope and NO, you don't have to use a scope that is specified for .22. Looks like your base the standard 3/8". You can mount any 1" tube scope of your choosing but make sure to have enough heigth to clear the scope bells. In my opinion, an average gun guy should have no trouble. I have and use all the accessaries for mounting scopes and those that don't, can usually get the job done fairly well. Good luck!! ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 4, 2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Wrothgar

So, if it does indeed clamp on, is it any good? Do the screws have to be re-tightened every shot or so?

What about this scope? I'm trying to save money but don't want a crappy one.

Last edited by Wrothgar; August 4, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:54 PM   #5
the rifleer

I dont have one personally, but I too am very interested in getting one. I've looked at them and read lots of reviews and talked to people who have them and I have heard they are very high quality and are very sturdy and dont loosen. I've also heard the aluminum ones work just as well as the steel ones. They are good mounts.

The only problem with them is the scope is not centered on the receiver, and there for as longer distances you need to adjust it. However, for hunting applications you wont have to worry about it. You only have to really adjust out past 300 or 400 yards.

privi partisan makes pretty good ammo. I thinks its the same as wolf, just a different brand and less expencive. Its is pretty good quality and i have shot it.

edit- funny that you mention that scope, thats the exact one that I am thinking about buying for my k31. Again, I've read that is a very good scope. For the money its hard to beat and again, you really only need a higher quality scope out past 500 to 600 yards.
Old August 4, 2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Wrothgar

I just found some Hornady 7.5 SP. That would probably be best to hunt with.
Old August 4, 2010, 10:39 PM   #7
RonC

I have the unit that mounts on the rear sight base along with an inexpensive Brunton scope. It all seems to work well although I do have to adjust the scope now and again.
I LOVE the K31.
Ron
Old August 5, 2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Pahoo

Wrothgar
Depending on service, you should always check the ring clamps but for the most part, it's just to make you feel a bit more secure. They do come loose but not all that often. ....

I like your choice of scopes and glad to see that they do not exceed 40MM objective. Any on the listing woud be a good choice. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 5, 2010, 10:55 AM   #9
benogil

Just fyi, there is an over-the-bore mount made by Rock Solid inc., it will handle weaver based scopes. It is drill and tap.
Old August 5, 2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Plain Old Bill

St. Marie Graphics mount

I use the St. Marie's mount- had it on a K31 for 4 years and maybe 400 rounds, has never shot loose and has never changed point of impact. I am a total mechanical ignoramus and managed to get it on and tightened up in about 5 minutes, and it has never needed readjustment.
It's pretty rare to find a piece of machinery that is so user-friendly. Just my experience, others may have had different mileage.
Bill
Oh- for ammo, I bought 500 Graf's 7.5 x 55 brass and use 200-grain bullets, usually over 4895, or even 4831 if they're for my Swiss 1911. Very accurate. One of my favorite things is when the guys with their brand-new 36x-scoped Remchesters walk down the line and go goggle-eyed at the accuracy of the K31.
Old August 5, 2010, 01:28 PM   #11
zfk55

Strangely enough, I have one.
No, it won't come loose, no you won't have to retighten anything at all, yes the 3/8" scope rail is necessary. Any wider and it will interfere with 100% ejection on the left and would skin your knuckles on the right.

This is one of mine. I like the low profile and fixed 6 powere.

With more than 3,500 Clamp On Mounts down the road we have yet to have a failure. We have had 4 or 5 complaints on-line that, after first hand inspection turned out not to ours at all, but we actually replaced three of them even though they were knock-offs.
We also had 12 Steel Mounts that missed a CNC cut and it took a full year to locate and replace them, but eventually all of them were accounted for.

And the shop guys here and I use the aluminum mounts, not the steel. My Father began making the steel mounts some years ago because of simple demand and no other reason.

I forgot to add that if you zero your scope at 200 yards you'll shoot from 100 to 400 yards with almost no noticeable change in POI.
The Europeans have used this type of mount since the 1960's.

Latigo St.Marie

www.swissproductsllc.com

Last edited by zfk55; August 7, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old August 6, 2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Wrothgar

Okay, so, out of those rings, which ones do I need? There are 4 choices. I need it to match up to that scope (I'm looking at the one on the top of the list).
Old August 7, 2010, 03:56 AM   #13
zfk55

Warne are very good rings, Wrothgar. Actually any 3/8" rail will do from the cheaper Tasco to the expensive Millet Tikka rings. My own opinion is any ring with the least projections at the side. You'll want to keep any of the mounting projections on the outside (right side) of the rail.
Try to get the rings that are the lowest possible for your objective lens. The lower the scope is, the better your cheek weld.
Use a cheek pad if you need to. This one is mine made by the SRDC webmaster. My setup is low enough already but he personalized it and it looks cool.

Please post pictures once you're all set up.

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old August 7, 2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Wrothgar

Will do - I just ordered the clamp and the rings.

Now, I'm still shopping for a scope. I just found this one. I was looking at the second one from the bottom that is selling for $109. That one stands out because it is 4x and 12x. The Nikon one is only 4x. Thoughts?
Old August 7, 2010, 11:57 AM   #15
madcratebuilder

I prefer a fixed power scope on my mil-surps. You can find weaver steel tubes on the auction sites very reasonable. They have great glass and fit the style of the rifle.

This is a K4 on a SP mount.
Old August 7, 2010, 01:59 PM   #16
zfk55

Wrothgar, what kind of shooting do you intend doing with your k31?

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old August 12, 2010, 05:42 PM   #17
Wrothgar

Got the mount in today - it took me less than a minute, I couldn't believe how easy it was to install that. Now, lets hope that my scope comes in before Saturday, as I'll be making a trip out there that morning.
Old August 13, 2010, 02:13 PM   #18
Wrothgar

So I got the scope in - the rings I ordered don't fit it. Thankfully, the stock rings it came with do. Looks like I wasted 20 bucks.
Old August 13, 2010, 02:41 PM   #19
hodaka

You will use them on something one day. Not wasted yet. The St. Marie mount with a steel Weaver K4 has been on one of my K-31's for several years. Very satisfactory.
Old August 13, 2010, 02:58 PM   #20
Wrothgar

I'm worried - the rings are holding it on, but in just looking at them, they look, i dunno, a little too big. Well, I'll try them out tomorrow. Its not like this would cause any kind of life threatening malfunction - black eye at the worst. I tried pulling on it and it didn't budge, so that's a good sign.
Old August 13, 2010, 03:50 PM   #21
the rifleer

Make sure you don't crank them down super hard, you can bend the tube and the scope will never shoot strait.
Old August 13, 2010, 05:53 PM   #22
Wrothgar

I just tried out the rings that I was told to purchase but are too small for the scope I purchased.(here) I just tried those out on my .22, and yep, they fit, so I will be able to use them.

Problem:

So, those rings don't work. I have put the ring that came with my basic Nikon scope on that rail. I know they are too big, as the St. Marie mount is designed to be used with a .22 size grooved ring. I bought .22 grooved rings, but apparently those rings are designed to be used with a .22 sized scope. I asked on here if those rings would work with a normal sized scope, and I was told they would. They don't. Now, I have the stock rings that came with the scope currently mounted on the rifle. I know those rings are too large for the rail, but they appear to be working alright now. Will this be a problem? I'm shooting it tomorrow.
Old August 14, 2010, 08:48 AM   #23
madcratebuilder

Some 3/8 rail rings are for a 7/8 scope tube, some are for a 1" scope tube. Unless the rings you are using are specifically for a 3/8 rail I wouldn't use them. Having a scope fly off and hit you in the head well leave a mark and may break the scope.
Old August 14, 2010, 06:54 PM   #24
zfk55

If you know those rings are too large for the rail, yes, there are going to be problems. They should tighten down securely absoultely straight and flush. Do you have a different name on a swiss board?

Latigo

Old August 15, 2010, 05:01 PM   #25
Wrothgar

Whelp, I put about 30 rounds through it yesterday. The scope didn't fly off or even loosen up. I didn't get it sighted in, but that's my fault. A buddy and I are going out with his lead sled next weekend to do it properly.

Afterwards, on the way home, I stopped at a gun shop where they routinely mount scopes and asked him to look at it, and he said it looked fine. He didn't try to sell me anything, so I trust him.