The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 23, 2009, 12:09 PM   #51
Ryder

If you carry cross draw on the offside it can be accessed with either hand.

Quote:
... when i'm on my bike i feel most vulnerable cuz i'm w/o cover...
Cars are no better cover. Bullets zip through them like they are made out of paper.
Old November 23, 2009, 12:27 PM   #52
jakeg823

Quote:
Cars are no better cover. Bullets zip through them like they are made out of paper.
appreciate the advice...not meaning to sound rude....but since bullets zip through them thats exactly why cops are taught to use them as cover...correct? i know not the weak points....they use the engine block as cover more than anything, which is going to be much stronger than say a door....that was my reasoning in saying i am w/o cover on a bike
Old November 23, 2009, 01:04 PM   #53
kraigwy

I ride a sportie, 1200 but I dont do anything differant. I carry my 642 in my pocket whether its on the bike, truck, horseback or hoofing it.

I like the ideal of the revolver being in the same place all the time.

To make sure it works, I ride around the back pasture shooting rabbits.

No since in carrying on a bike or anywhere else if you dont practice. Practice getting the gun out and shooting.

I really doubt I'll have to shoot anything from a motorcycle but its fun practicing.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 23, 2009, 02:21 PM   #54
45Gunner

After reading some of the posts to this thread, I was wondering if this was a Forum for wannabe James Bond types, perhaps people who are living in some sort of gun fantasy land, or people who are just plain paranoid so they have to wonder about cross drawing from a moving motorcycle that offers no cover? What planet are we on? Or maybe we woke up in an X-Box video? Or maybe this is really a bunch of 12 year old little boys fantasizing about being grown up and playing with real live guns? If this is real world stuff, then I am really scared.
NRA Life Member
Old November 23, 2009, 03:53 PM   #55
Drummer101

Quote:
appreciate the advice...not meaning to sound rude....but since bullets zip through them thats exactly why cops are taught to use them as cover...correct? i know not the weak points....they use the engine block as cover more than anything, which is going to be much stronger than say a door....that was my reasoning in saying i am w/o cover on a bike
The police cars around me are crown vics and they have extra armor in the doors.
Old November 23, 2009, 07:30 PM   #56
jakeg823

Quote:
After reading some of the posts to this thread, I was wondering if this was a Forum for wannabe James Bond types, perhaps people who are living in some sort of gun fantasy land, or people who are just plain paranoid so they have to wonder about cross drawing from a moving motorcycle that offers no cover? What planet are we on? Or maybe we woke up in an X-Box video? Or maybe this is really a bunch of 12 year old little boys fantasizing about being grown up and playing with real live guns? If this is real world stuff, then I am really scared.
I don't think I would be worrying about shooting from a moving motorcycle....they typically have enough power so that if need be I can just speed off(except my 97 fatboy). This is not a childhood fantasy I'm asking a legit question because why should it be any more unrealistic to carry on a motorcycle than in a truck...go ahead.....I'll wait
Old November 24, 2009, 04:16 AM   #57
Ryder

Quote:
45Gunner says - If this is real world stuff, then I am really scared.
You should be scared. If you ever try any riding you will soon find out that you need to refuel every hundred miles or so. Your next realization will be that you have no idea what part of town these exits are leading you into. Not that it really matters though because you can't ride without fuel and you don't know at 2 O'clock in the morning how far the next open gas station even is. You get off the highway when your fuel tank says it is time to get off the highway. It is not optional.

You'd think it's no big deal stopping in the murder capitol of the world. I mean what's the worst that can happen to you as you use the station's darkened bathroom? Surely the cops cruising past and giving you the evil eye as you filled up was a good sign, right? The sirens are so reassuring... And the 5 inch thick bullet proof glass with locked doors and bank teller style sliding cash drawer with a radio to speak to the attendant, that's just an everyday occurrance where you come from, eh?

Sure, sure, no biggie if you are daydreaming about unicorns and rainbows... In fact that should help pass the time after you find out there is no corresponding on-ramp and you have to undertake a 5 mile long exploration of the ghetto to get back on the freeway. That's when it real gets interesting. Those gangster kiddies roam in packs... And stop lights will not toggle for a bike so you find yourself sitting out in open intersections more than you are rolling. At least the tinted windows of the cars pulling up next to you is reassuring. Because you would probably die of shock if you saw who was observing you from behind that darkened glass!

Seriously though... This is America, if you can't stand to hear about people excercising their guaranteed freedoms by going about their business armed maybe you'd be better off in Canada (I only tote a hatchet there) My best endurance ride was ~2700 miles in 48 hours. That's a whole lotta gas stops and I have a strange story to tell for darn near every one of them.
Old November 24, 2009, 04:51 AM   #58
jakeg823

Quote:
You should be scared. If you ever try any riding you will soon find out that you need to refuel every hundred miles or so. Your next realization will be that you have no idea what part of town these exits are leading you into. Not that it really matters though because you can't ride without fuel and you don't know at 2 O'clock in the morning how far the next open gas station even is. You get off the highway when your fuel tank says it is time to get off the highway. It is not optional.

You'd think it's no big deal stopping in the murder capitol of the world. I mean what's the worst that can happen to you as you use the station's darkened bathroom? Surely the cops cruising past and giving you the evil eye as you filled up was a good sign, right? The sirens are so reassuring... And the 5 inch thick bullet proof glass with locked doors and bank teller style sliding cash drawer with a radio to speak to the attendant, that's just an everyday occurrance where you come from, eh?

Sure, sure, no biggie if you are daydreaming about unicorns and rainbows... In fact that should help pass the time after you find out there is no corresponding on-ramp and you have to undertake a 5 mile long exploration of the ghetto to get back on the freeway. That's when it real gets interesting. Those gangster kiddies roam in packs... And stop lights will not toggle for a bike so you find yourself sitting out in open intersections more than you are rolling. At least the tinted windows of the cars pulling up next to you is reassuring. Because you would probably die of shock if you saw who was observing you from behind that darkened glass!
you must be from the Jackson area too then!!!!!!!!

in all seriousness...he gets it! i'm not talkin about some matrix BS shooting while doing 165mph down the interstate on my ninja just because some tard cut me off. i'm talking about the fact that when on my bike...at a stop light(that wont toggle for a bike because we're under the weight required for it to pick us up) and someone comes up and puts a gun to your head and tells you to get off...you cant just roll up the windows or lock the doors...thats the world i live in....i'm not some freakishly paranoid person, but the fact is that i'm from what was(not sure of the current ranking) in the top 10 most dangerous cities in the country!

you obviously dont ride otherwise you wouldnt understand....another scenario...off riding alone(which i frequently do) and you run out of gas or the bike breaks down on some backwoods/deliverance mississippi country road...now make it 10xs worse=its night time...10xs worse=no cell service...just cuz we're polite in the south doesnt mean that we dont have our fair share of @$$holes....the fact is this is a strange time for this country, and there are some who will stop at nothing to take what you have...and all we're talking about is our right to protect ourselves, just like someone who carries concealed while walking, riding a bicycle, the subway, or even just keeps a pistol in the glovebox of their car/truck.

ps i would consider motorcyclists a pretty safe bet to target personally. think about it...our bikes often arent cheap, i know my ninja was just below $9k, my 06 sporty 1200C was about the same, and my '97 fatboy, when new probably went for about $14k at least. now throw in the fact that many of us wear our gear=gloves for sportbike riders are anywhere from $40-200, not sure about harley gloves cuz i just wear my cheap $40 joe rockets on my harleys. helmets=anywhere from the $30 walmart special, up to a $900 Arai full face. leather jacket=$500 easy!...if the person is a diehard sportbike rider wearing a full leather suit you're looking at at least $1000...boots $100-300.

my point is...anyone who even has a round about estimate of what our gear costs might have reason to believe that we also carry a fair amount of cash...on top of jacking our bikes and gear and resaling em.
Old November 24, 2009, 04:55 AM   #59
Ryder

Quote:
you must be from the Jackson area too then!!!!!!!!
Hhaha, no but I did date a girl for a few years who lived a stone's throw away from Gary.
Old November 24, 2009, 07:27 AM   #60
alloy

Quote:
if so whats the best method?
For me, it's the same as the rest of the day except for maybe wearing a leather jacket.
Old November 24, 2009, 08:48 PM   #61
Greg_TX

Quote:
Interesting tone of voice in your post. If you were a new poster, I'd swear this was a troll.

Anyway, the point to riding is to get off the beaten path and explore - see and experience things you'd never get the chance to from the interstate. You find the best BBQ this way. Find the winding roads and find your soul. But then, you'll sometimes find yourself out in the middle of nowhere, vulnerable to just about anything if you're alone and unarmed.

I don't see what's so unusual about people carrying on motorcycles; we don't have windows to roll up or doors to lock, and no protection (cage) of any kind around us. If anything, I'd say we have more reason to carry than someone in a car or truck.
Old November 24, 2009, 09:33 PM   #62
zombieslayer

I adventure all over backroads of FL on my ZRX1200, and I too agree- People will mess with you on a bike in the middle of nowhere!!! Carrying on a bike can be tricky. I usually only have my lil LCP, but IM ALWAYS ARMED!
Old November 25, 2009, 10:18 PM   #63
KenpoTex

When I ride ('04 FZ6), I carry the same way I do any other time...Glock 19 A-IWB (appendix position).
Old November 25, 2009, 10:45 PM   #64
rootbeer62

2003 V-Star 1100; sometimes in a fanny bag or holstered under my jacket and my CRKT Ryan 4 in.
Old November 25, 2009, 11:20 PM   #65
Balog

The first time I ever saw someone open carrying it was a fellow on a motorcycle with a Beretta 92 in a thigh drop holster.
Old November 26, 2009, 11:53 AM   #66
45Gunner

As an avid motorcycle rider and owner of two Harleys, I often go off exploring on my own, in places I have never been before. I am never without a concealed weapon...never. I also have common sense.

My personal preference, knowing that my fuel tank will take me just over 200 miles, is to look to refuel at 100 miles or 1/2 a tank. This gives me the opportunity to get off the bike and stretch. It does not take a rocket scientist to recognize an unsavory neighborhood. If I get off a highway and know I don't want to be where I am, I just get back on the highway. If I really need fuel, I leave my helmet and gloves on and open my jacket so I have quick access to my gun. If street hoods pay too much attention to me, I stare right back at them. I'm not exactly a small guy. While they are sizing me up, I am planning my tactical escape. The best defense is to never be in a situation which requires me to exercise my expert skills.

Quiet, scenic country roads is where I like to ride. Not too many inner city thugs mix with the horses and cows. If one rides in the middle of inner city bad neighborhoods, that person is just inviting trouble. Using one's head is much better than having to use a gun to get one out of trouble they never should have been in, in the first place.
NRA Life Member
Old November 26, 2009, 12:16 PM   #67
Doc Intrepid

I routinely ride long distances on the slab.

While I try to be wise in terms of timing gas stops, and I don't let the tank get below half full, I've also been "turned around" for a bit in a few cities - notably, St. Lewis and Chicago come to mind - after taking a freeway offramp for a gas stop. In both cases there were some interesting consequences and lessons learned. Ryder is also correct that late at night your options are reduced, as some places shut down.

While it obviously isn't true for everyone, its a lesson-learned for me that if I have to unzip a jacket to access a firearm, that isn't going to work in every situation - or at least some of the situations I've encountered. Like some of the others have noted, I carry in an outer pocket. I can unzip an outer pocket at a gas stop and have access to a firearm without opening my jacket, and while that restricts the size of the firearm I use, its a worthwhile trade off given the sort of riding I do.

Your mileage may definitely vary...

Doc
Old December 12, 2009, 07:35 AM   #68
wyobohunter

I ride a little dual sport bike (Yamaha WR250R) and usually carry. My Ruger SRH Alaskan (454) is on my hip while I'm out woods riding, I'm currently trying to figure out how I'll carry my new 1911 when running around town or down the highway. I'm thinking of getting an OWB holter. I could ride with the pistol in my tank bag and just transfer it to my holster if I need to leave the bike for a while. If some knuckleheads try to mess with me my #1 option is to lose them. My little 250cc DS isn't very fast (tops out at ≈ 85 mph) but it'll go places that cars and truck can't go. My backup plan (if I can't lose the knuckleheads) is to create some space with a quike maneuver, get off the bike and draw the weapon. Hopefully the knuckleheads will take the hint and leave me alone. 45gunner, this isn't fantasizing, I've been scared very badly while riding by some teenage boys in a pickup who were "just messin' around". Fortunately I was able to lose them so the backup plan wasn't needed.

Last edited by wyobohunter; December 12, 2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old December 12, 2009, 09:50 AM   #69
Ksmoker

bikes

I agree completely with 45 Gunner, stay out of places you don't belong, use common sense and always have your weapon on you. If I exit the wrong ramps, I get right back out of there as well. Alittle common sense goes a long ways.
I use an OWB holster just about all the time when I ride with a shirt, vest or something hanging over my G32. No problems yet.
Old December 16, 2009, 01:22 PM   #70
Captain78

I don't think I would like a firearm next to me in the event of an unplanned get off...I ride a Goldwing and keep my gun in the trunk. I know it will take me some time to get to it.
Old December 16, 2009, 02:00 PM   #71
JohnnyBmore

God I wish I could carry here in Baltimore .. I am a Stunt rider that makes a living selling stunt dvd's from the mean streets of Baltimore.... LOL

I always have cash & merch on me & Im always riding in some really scary places ... atleast 60% of the hoods know & like me But the other 40% has given me some real issues over the last 11 years of filming/riding ...
the trailer for our new dvd will be out in a couple mnths & I will post it here .. it has a great shot( no pun intended) of one of my riders being shot at from a chasing car ... its at night so you see a huge muzzle flash!! it was pretty wild !! But still our best move even if I had my 1911 was to just get on the gas & Roll the F@CK out !! whats funny to is when I came up on a cop a block or so later & told the story he replied "thats why your white ass shouldnt be here, its not my job to worrie about whats going on with a bunch of bikers" But sh1t I cant complain cause I have never recieved one ticket in my long history of abusing Baltimore......

Last edited by JohnnyBmore; December 16, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old December 16, 2009, 02:35 PM   #72
kay_gee

i ride a sportbike and personally refueling up at 3 oclock in the morning and having some drunk guys come up and act stupid with you on your bike...ive had these drunk fellas follow me home for about 20 mins,i sped up so did they i stopped so did they then i was getting tired of them following me around i didnt have my weapon on me but if i did i would have confronted them..riding a bike is dangerous already and with dumb drivers and people who hit and try to run...ive seen my number of riders go down and the car drive off..
Old December 17, 2009, 09:29 PM   #73
wyobohunter

Holy freekin' craziness

A poster on another forum I occasionally visit asked the same question. A few of us just answered yes/no and what/how/why... Then the Canadiens showed up! (just kidding, they weren't all Canadiens, in fact one of them was a Can. Ex-pat and on our side)...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531471
Old December 20, 2009, 08:47 PM   #74
Bruin-Hockey

http://www.coronadoleather.com/

Check out this site - I use their Biker Vest. They specialize in concealed carry leather products with lifetime warranties. Extremely well made and comfortable.

I carry a S&W CS9 at all times and these products are great. BTW I ride a Road King Classic just about every day and average @ 20,000 miles a year. I would hope I never have to draw - but at least I will have something on me in case the need arises.

Ride Safe - and often.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:24 PM   #75
HeroHog

Their stuff is good. If you like the Leather Vest route, here some I was given by a friend and I tried out:

http://herohog.com/images/guns/CCW%20Clothes/

The Coronado Leather vest is one of the ones I have shown there. This is NOT an ad and I am not selling anything. I am just showing the different CCW vests I have.

Coronado Leather w/Model 10 S&W in it:

Notice the pocket right at her fingertips. There is one on either side and each has a pistol retention elastic strip sewn in it that works well with everything from my P-11 Kel-Tec to my 1911 A1 Norinco.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.