The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2018, 04:53 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Some mods on my Smith Shield

Just sharing some mods that I did on my Smith Shield.
It one of the guns that I carry, so all mods done with that in mind. No trigger work, and none needed. It has a decent trigger.

I never liked the Talon grip tape with the funky cutouts, so found these made by Grip on company that is simple and looks more glock like. These are a rubber texture and very comfortable and fit perfectly. 10.50

Since I live in California, this has the funky red with white ugly LCI indicator. So I found that Apex made a "no profile" LCI indicator and it was a simple replacement by just punching out the retaining pin and replacing the LCI strut.
Very clean looking and there is a tiny place you can look down and see the brass or do the standard press check for a loaded chamber. About 20.00

Next I replaced the guts of the standard flush 7 round magazine with the Magguts internal to get a plus one capacity. This is pretty simple and took a little fussing to get all 8 in, but after a few days, it's now easy to load 8 and functions perfectly. So really happy to have nine rounds of Federal HST 124 grain hollowpoints in such a slim, small pistol! Around 25.00

Finally, I made a claw sight for one handed manipulations. I.C.E (Rob Pinus) makes one for the shield, but they were out of them. So I purchased some 1/2 aluminum bar stock online and decided to make my own version yesterday. I decided to copy their Glock version instead of the Smith overhanging version. I like the cleaner look of the dovetail sight. Completely made by hand with a hacksaw and files and just eyeballed the dimensions and carefully fitted to the dovetail. It is drift adjustable and shot down in the field this morning to get the perfect height. The sight notch is cut round on the bottom like the Amerglo i-sights and in the future will get a brighter front sight to match. Used Aluminum black to blacken and now they are great!
Haven't seen a Shield like this and I always like to share the unusual.

Never liked the look of the original Smith sights and the tapered front, so now my Smith looks more like my glocks!LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04757.JPG (57.2 KB, 631 views)
Old January 20, 2018, 04:55 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

Here are some closeups of the claw sight I made.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04752.JPG (57.5 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04750.JPG (57.7 KB, 587 views)
Old January 20, 2018, 05:18 PM   #3
arquebus357

Smith & Wesson looks more like a Glock now... YAY

Old January 20, 2018, 07:14 PM   #4
PeteH

Very nice and clean.
Old January 22, 2018, 05:19 PM   #5
glove

Nice job.
anyway.
Old February 19, 2018, 03:39 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

A couple of recent mods.

Modified the backstrap by removing the hump and then adding plastic material to duplicate the angle of a glock 19 and restippling back to OEM style.

The mag in the pic is the stock 7 round flush mag body with Magguts plus 2 internals and baseplate. It's a wee bit shorter than the stock 8 round magazine without the spacer. Now it holds 9 in the magazine and one in the chamber for a total of ten ready to go.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04879.JPG (184.3 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; February 19, 2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old February 26, 2018, 04:26 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

One step more. I polished the slide. Not down to stainless, but so it was shiney black. The photo is picking up the reflective lighting so it looks a little lighter. It's close to the blueing on my Smith model 52. This seven round magazine has the NDZ pinky extension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04898.JPG (177.2 KB, 170 views)