The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

SR1911 10MM First Range Visit

If there is a modern cartridge that has a cult like following and yet heavily underrated it would be the 10MM. This Ruger SR1911 in 10MM after my first range trip reconfirms my membership to the cult.

While out on the range for the first time time with the Ruger SR1911 in 10MM. The Ruger was 100% reliable with the 100 rounds of factory and reloads I put down range. I did shoot some of my favorite reloads across the chronograph out of the SR1911, 135gr Nosler hollow point and 200gr Nosler hollow point loaded on top of Alliant Bluedot powder. The Ruger SR1911 is exactly what you would expect from Ruger, cast frame, tight slide to frame fit, no frills features like ambi safety and very reliable. If you are a 10MM fan like I am this is a must have, if you are curious about 10MM and want a cost effective, nicely refined ultra reliable 1911 in 10MM look no further than the Ruger SR1911.

Correction in the video I mentioned CFE Pistol, I did not have any of these left and had to revert back to my Bluedot loads, unfortunately I had CFE pistol on the brain lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSo62w1Cm8E
Old July 7, 2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

Nice video review. Now i have to put that gun on my list of 'must haves'.
Old July 7, 2017, 11:58 PM   #3
disseminator

Nice review.

I'll be getting me one of those real soon now.....
Old July 8, 2017, 12:49 AM   #4
Bongo Boy

Nice job on the review and congrats on the 1911.

I've been a 10mm enthusiast for quite a number of years now and happen to think it's about as 'perfect' an auto pistol round as you'll find. Of course, 'perfect' is totally meaningless without some context, but for carry, home defense and general range play, it gets top vote from me.

Look like you got a real winner there.
Old July 8, 2017, 01:29 AM   #5
SDF880

Excellent!!
Old July 8, 2017, 06:25 AM   #6
Siggy-06

If Ruger staked their plunger tubes instead of cssting it into the frame I'd buy one. And yes I've seen a plunger tube get damaged before on a 1911.
Old July 10, 2017, 09:38 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I've seen a lot more loose plunger tubes than squashed. Like zero squashed.
If you succeed in squashing the integral tube, you have to mill it off, drill leg holes, and stake on a regular plunger tube.
Old July 10, 2017, 09:53 PM   #8
stagpanther

I've been a 10mm fan for quite some time--even converted a glock 20 to a 9x 25 dillon, a 10mm hybrid. Honestly did not know ruger had come out with a 10mm version of their 1911--I'll definitely have to check that out! thanks.

Just took a quick look at ruger's site--the only nits I have to pick--having loaded lots of 10mm cartridges over the years and fired them through various barrels--are a) I would have gone with a 6" barrel and b) I would have engineered a cutout plate that could accomodate a red dot when removed and a mount substituted. a couple of hundred dollars more puts me in range of a para elite hunter so equipped, probably what I would elect to do.

On second examination--I didn't find a model with the optics-ready cut-out--though I swear I saw one in 10mm at my LGS.

Last edited by stagpanther; July 10, 2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old July 10, 2017, 10:22 PM   #9
Dragline45

While I sold my SR1911 CMD a while back, this 10mm really intrigues me. I did have a few gripes with my SR1911 though. The trigger had ALOT of side to side and up and down play, and the trigger pull wasn't what you come to expect out of a 1911. The grip safety was also extremely loose and rattled a whole lot. Other than that it was a very nice pistol.
Old July 11, 2017, 10:25 PM   #10
Sgt Pepper

Damn nice review and video! Thanks! I might have to get me one of these 10mm Rugers!
Old July 12, 2017, 06:56 AM   #11
agtman

Nice review. Thanks.
Old February 18, 2018, 12:34 AM   #12
Stats Shooter

I just got a Ruger SR1911 10mm myself.

I'm no 1911 aficionado, but this seems like a well built gun. No play at all in the moving parts, and the trigger breaks at 2.8 lbs according to my scale. Crisp, clean brake with no creep.

Importantly, it has a ramped barrel and fully supported chamber. It isn't quite at tight as the alpha wolf chamber in my G20, but it's very close, and obviously way more support than an OEM glock 20 barrel. I don't have a COLT DE 10mm, but I have seen pictures and the Ruger has far more support for the cartridge than the COLT.

It is a 1970's style 1911 without the mechanical safety. It also has no bushing, rather a nitride bull barrel and full length guide rod. I don't know enough to know if that's better or worse than anything else but it's part of this guns design.

I have only shot weak target loads in mine so far but will try some full throttle 10mm 209 gr jhps I loaded when the weather clears up.
Old February 18, 2018, 08:14 AM   #13
CDW4ME

All black sights were not going to cut it for me, addressed the deficiency with Dremel & paint, better now.

Either a Colt Delta Elite or the Ruger is my primary EDC.
Old February 18, 2018, 09:38 AM   #14
Stats Shooter

I like what you did with your sights. I intend to do something similar with some of the wife's fingernail polish and a dremmel

I also ordered so me diamond checkered cocobolo grips for some contrast.
Old February 18, 2018, 01:04 PM   #15
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats Shooter View Post
I like what you did with your sights. I intend to do something similar with some of the wife's fingernail polish and a dremmel

I also ordered so me diamond checkered cocobolo grips for some contrast.
Thanks.
I used a Dremel with a small ball end, ball about same size as dots on Delta Elite.
Old February 18, 2018, 01:43 PM   #16
Stats Shooter

Quote:
I used a Dremel with a small ball end, ball about same size as dots on Delta Elite.
I wonder why Ruger went with all black? At least the front post should contrast
Old February 20, 2018, 02:50 AM   #17
Snuffy308

All black adjustable=target sights. Yea, I don't like them either.
Old February 20, 2018, 06:24 AM   #18
Mr.RevolverGuy

Nice touch on the sight modifications
Old February 20, 2018, 08:25 AM   #19
Stats Shooter

This gun handled my full power 10mm loads no problem. The recoil in the stock gun was less than my Glock 20 w/22# recoil spring and 5.3" barrel.

No Fte's or malfunctions of any kind with target loads on up to my full power hand loads (full power loads= 200 gr Hip at 1250fps, same as buffalo bore tested over my chronograpg).

I might try a flat bottom firing pin stop to help slow down the slide with full power loads though....it flings the brass 20 ft away.
Old February 27, 2018, 10:26 PM   #20
Stats Shooter

Update on My Ruger SR1911 Target 10mm

I am now at a round count of 700+ in my Ruger SR1911 10mm Target...about 400 of which are full nutz 10mm. (200 gr jhp at 1250 fps)

at 50 yards off bags with the open Bomar sights I'm getting 4" groups with my hand loads. my pistol rest rig is homemade and not super fancy, but it works ok so perhaps 2-3" is possible but not with me shooting.

Reliability has been outstanding...the factory ruger mags have a stiff spring though so you have to make sure you seat it firmly (feel the click)

One modification I highly recommend is an oversized flat bottom firing pin stop. With the beveled one, the 10mm was throwing full power loads 30ft+. The EGW flat bottom stainless pin stop required some fitting (obviously) but it made my brass ejection 15-17ft and while I have no video evidence yet appears to have reduced muzzle flip.

It does make the slide harder to rack, but that is the only downside. the upside is it keeps the frame from getting battered and unlike a stronger recoil spring doesn't accelerate the slide forward slamming shut.

IMO it probably should co me from the factory with a flat bottom stop but that's the only mod I believe it needs.

The fully supported chamber safely allows for max SAAMI loads, no smiles, no bulge, no problem.

All in all, I'm glad I went with a ruger over a Colt DE
Old February 27, 2018, 11:24 PM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
...the 10mm was throwing full power loads 30ft+.
I wouldn't worry about that--I have pictures of spent hot cartridge cases from my glock 20 bouncing off the doors of Musk's Tesla in orbit around the earth.