The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Hulls that cannot be reloaded...

When I was a kid and on into adulthood, I always heard that the cheap ammo wasn't a candidate for reloading.
So now that I am on TFL with tons of folks "in the know" I would like to put this thought to rest once and for all.
What hulls cannot/should not be reloaded?
Brent
Old January 2, 2009, 12:29 PM   #2
okiefarmer

Although some hulls should not be reloaded multiple times, there are not many hulls I have not reloaded at least once. Even the cheapy promo Federal can be loaded one time anyway. You just need to look into the hull and make sure that rolled paper base is still in place and not half blown out.

I have picked up a gazzillion of those "throw away" hulls at ranges and used them for my hunting rounds, where I don't want to watch for the hulls anyway.
Old January 2, 2009, 01:05 PM   #3
oneounceload

Hogdogs - it's not that some can't be reloaded, but finding the right recipe to make sure the pressures are within the proper limits, etc. can be tough - just like rifle and pistol components, they're not quite totally interchangeable and just arbitrarily using any hull with any powder and wad could have some nasty side effects.
Old January 2, 2009, 02:19 PM   #4
BigJimP

I wouldn't reload most of the cheap hulls out there ( Rio, Estate, Fiocchi, etc ) because it isn't worth the trouble / and for some, you can't find a recipe using commonly found components.

What you'll find on most of the cheap hulls - is some of them have steel in the base vs brass, some of them have tapered primer pockets and the quality of the plastic hull isn't very high ( its usually a little thinner and more brittle ).

For 12 ga reloads - the most durable these days is Rem STS or Rem Nitro. If you don't like Remington hulls - you can try Win - but a lot of guys are having trouble with the new HS hulls from Win ( base wads moving up inside, cracking, etc ).

For 20ga reloads - I also like Rem STS hulls.

For 28ga - Rem has a lot of problems, with hulls breaking inside the brass cup ( making them very dangerous in a semi-auto ). I would only use Rem STS in an O/U. WIN has the HS hull - and its got length issues. So 28ga is kind of a problem right now - unless you can get some of the old style Win AA's ( and most of us hoard them like diamonds ..)

.410's - Rem or Win are about your only option / but you'll get a lot of cracking, etc. Old WIN AA's are like diamonds here again ...
Old January 2, 2009, 04:05 PM   #5
sheepman

Most any hull can be reloaded, But should they? Like has already been mentioned some have week sides and steel bases. There has been some problems with the base wads coming out and sticking in the barrels of repeaters and the next shot running the barrel and the shooters day. The one peace hills, no inner base wad, will generally give a lot of reloads with no problems. These are also the higher priced shells to begin with and have the most recipes listed in the reloading manuals. If you can not find a recipe for a shell casing in a loading manual don't reload it. Bill
Old January 7, 2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Death from Afar

I am with Big Jim on this- virtually all hulls can be used at least once, and I sometimes do for nightshooting ammo, where most of the cases are lost/ go over the die of the truck/ get stood on. You do have problems with poor crimps, cases getting stuck in presses and stuff- and it usually is not worth the aggrevation. With the cases with a flat base plastic disc basewad ( like Rio) it is ofetn hard to find a load that works and fills the case completely. Collapsed crimps are very common.
Old January 7, 2009, 06:20 PM   #7
oneounceload

I have reloaded some Estate 28 gauge hulls - using Federal recipes, and actually, they do pretty good for about 2-3 reloads each....Remington Gun Clubs are also pretty good....but the really cheap hulls, IMO, just aren't worth it