The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 1, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Gunplummer

Deer Glands

I was looking through the post about hunting knives and remembered an incident from years back. There was snow on the ground and I was walking in some railroad tracks and came on two guys dragging a small buck out. We stopped to talk, and looking at the deer I had to ask what happened to it. It was the first deer either of them had gutted and they had been told to cut the glands off. It looked like there were 10 more glands on the deer than I knew about and it was really hacked up. Anyway, how many of you guys cut the glands off a deer when you gut it? I never bother because it is a good way to spread the smell getting it all over your knife and hands.
Old January 1, 2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Pahoo

WOW,
That is a good question and have to admit that now you got me thinking. The two major ones are on the rear inside legs first joint up from the hoof. You can clearly see the two tufts as they are darker that the rest of the hair and quite often moist, not to mention the scent they give off. These are the only two that I am aware of but now guess that there might be more. Going to have to work on that one. ....

Some say it makes no difference whether you leave them on or cut them off. In doubt, I just cut them off. Supposedly leaving them on, makes the meat taste bad or strong. I do use the Tarsal grands at the base of my stand/blind and also rub them on the instep of my boots.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 1, 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old January 1, 2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Pahoo

Certainly not the last or final word but here is one link I just found. Rather interesting. ....

(Graphic)

http://www.inheatscents.net/tarsalgland.html

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 1, 2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old January 1, 2011, 06:59 PM   #4
hooligan1

That's crazy man,, I only cut those glands off to use them to mask my scent for later hunts in the SAME AREA,(notice I capitalized "same area") because it's an old trick I learned of from an old indian.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:09 PM   #5
jimbob86

I used to cut off the tarsal glands.....

.... but I dont mess with them now. Make your hands and everthing you touch with them stink.
Old January 1, 2011, 08:24 PM   #6
BILLDAVE

I cut the hind legs glands out ASAP. If you get that on your clothes it WILL stay. Don't believe it will tiant the meat though.
BILLDAVE
Old January 2, 2011, 06:00 AM   #7
bswiv

We ALWAYS cut them out.......not because they do anything to the meat because they don't..........but to use as cover scent.

Store them in the freezer untill ready to use.

And for what it is worth it seems that they smell more like some sort of spice than something nasty.......at least the fuzzy ones on the back legs.
Old January 2, 2011, 07:02 AM   #8
shortwave

+1 bswiv

I usually cut the tarsal glands off. What better scent could you offer a "buck in need" then the natural tarsal gland cut off a doe during late pre-rut. Or hang a bucks tarsal gland during early stages of the rut when the bucks are fighting and very territorial.

Also like to tie a bucks/does tarsal gland(depending on time of season) on a string and drag it to my stand.

I usually cut them off, vacuum wrap , mark the dates taken and sex. They'll be used the following year.
Old January 2, 2011, 07:20 AM   #9
btmckinney

As a young hunter, my father told me to cut them off. He said to start far enough away from the tarsel gland that you or your blade doesnt touch them. If you do touch them be sure and clean your blade or hand off before possably touching edible meat. Have saw them used as a scent mask by hunters. I usually just drop them by the gut pile and go on my way.
Old January 2, 2011, 08:30 AM   #10
mete

One gland I've seen a buck use is the one at the front of the eye. I watched one of the biggest deer I've taken very slowly walk along the trail rubbing the gland against twigs -marking his territory !
Old January 2, 2011, 08:42 AM   #11
YARDDOG(1)

All That's a Bunch of horse hocky, NO cuting neck,tarsel glands or anything We (southern Boys) Don't even gut em, If we are close to home

The Deer is not going to bleed anymore than when his/her heart stops & the tarsel gland they Pee On when in Pre Rut and won't taint the meat

We usually Skin cut back straps & front shoulders neck meat and back
hams, After the knuckel were the Tarsil gland is & soak in Ice Water for4-5
days, draining the blood every day & a half ; ) PS We don't forget to cut antlers off
Y/D
Old January 2, 2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Old wives tales about ruining the meat. We leave them on and while the are good as cover scent, we usually don't bother with them.
Old January 2, 2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Buzzcook

Just saw the legs off above the gland.
Old January 2, 2011, 04:42 PM   #14
Pahoo

Quote:
Just saw the legs off above the gland.
Guys, I'd hate to relate to Y'all, where I have been but it's not all that bad. Just pull the tuft out a bit and cut along and flush to the leg. Pitch it and wash your hands. .....
When you have hunted deer long enough, skinned out Raccoons and Possum, not to mentions cleaning a gut-shot rabbit, it really doesn't matter. ....

"Happiness is a warm gut-pile"

Be Safe !!!
Old January 3, 2011, 07:41 PM   #15
banditt007

Makes no difference to the taste of the meat, so leave them alone. Or you can cut them off, and open the animals body to bacteria/dirt contamination, get the scent potentially all over your knife and spread it to otherwise-would-have-been-good meat, and get it on your hands, do more work than needed ect. Your choice...If it wasn't clear I believe it to be an old wives tale.
Old January 3, 2011, 11:38 PM   #16
shortwave

After my earlier post I thought about when I never used to cut the tarsel glands out for hunting scent control.

Have butchered many deer and in the process can't ever remember ruining any meat by leaving glands on.

When skinning, no sense in getting your knife close to glands.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:27 AM   #17
Gbro

There are definitely stinky'er bucks than the average out there. The old Finn's would call the extra stinky ones a "****-Buck". I have run across a couple that were so strong smelling that we boned them out for sausage only.
Then I experienced Elk hunting.
I do not think there is a deer alive that is as stinky as a bull Elk!
I do try as hard as possible to keep hands and knives clean while field processing big game animals(boning at kill site), and have not had any problems.
And I do save tarsal glands from bucks and have had grand results in the past using both local area glands and at times purposely collecting glands from out of area bucks.
My preferred method of handling a sent gland or skunk sent is to attach to the end of a long sapling with a small fork to hold cloth or gland from slipping. It is easier to apply the sent at the right height and leave the stick down wind of the stand and its easy to find when one has to drop it off to check out something of interest.