Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 25, 2015, 12:27 PM   #26
Jim567

Many thanks for the info!!
Warning/disclaimer.
My 60 year old eyes can't tell blue from purple
Old October 25, 2015, 01:02 PM   #27
wogpotter

I think you'll find that these were the correct color codes for primer sealant.
United Kingdom & Commonwealth Countries before 1955
including Australia, Canada, India, New Zealand and South Africa
Code:
Bullet Type                                Color of Tip                           Color of Annulus
Amour Piercing                       Green                                        Green
Ball                                              None                                        Purple
Incendiary                                  Blue                                           Blue
Observing                                  Black                                         Black
Proof                                           None                                        Yellow
Tracer Short Range                   White                                       Red
Tracer Dark Ignition                   Grey                                         Red
Tracer Long Range                    Red                                         Red
Blue would have been Incendiary, Ball would have been Purple (which might be confused with Blue under some lighting, but tracer was either White, Grey, or red.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 25, 2015, 03:20 PM   #28
5THBATT

I have a few of the DI tracer rounds & the tip is red & has a Blue/purple Annulus

Last edited by 5THBATT; October 25, 2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old October 26, 2015, 07:52 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

Early rifles, Lee-Metfords and the first variants of the Lee-Enfield, had no charger guides. The magazine was loaded by hand and was intended to be held in reserve, and only used by order of an officer. Otherwise, the rifles were intended to be singly loaded. The spare magazine was intended to be a replacement for a damaged one or, in extreme circumstances, used if there wasn't time to reload the primary.

The first Lee-Enfield to incorporate an integral charger guide was the Mk I, adopted in 1902, although some Pattern 1895 (Magazine, Lee-Enfield) rifles were retrofitted with charger guides based on experience in the Boer War.

Even so, the loaded magazine was still to be held in reserve and the rifle single loaded.

The loop on the magazine was a keeper. Its original purpose was if the second magazine had to be used.

Once the second magazine was dropped with the advent of charger loading, the keeper was retained to make sure that the magazine wasn't inadvertently lost. Replacing a lost magazine could be something of a pain in the ass when you're half-way around the world.

I believe the keeper was finally discarded during World War I, when a lot of frills and non-essentials (magazine cutoff, volley sights) were dropped to speed production.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 26, 2015, 03:26 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

The keeper chain was dropped along with the loop on the magazine, but the loop on the rifle remained, probably because no one ever told the makers to eliminate it. It was later used to retain a canvas receiver cover, and some collectors assume that was its original and only purpose.

Jim
Old October 26, 2015, 05:12 PM   #31
5THBATT

The loop on the TG was done away with when the Mk1* SMLE was introduced in 1906, it was re-introduced in 1916 but was used for securing the action cover, it was exactly the same loop but for a different purpose.