The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 12, 2012, 01:37 PM   #26
BlueTrain

Does Glock make those knives?
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 12, 2012, 03:12 PM   #27
saands

I just read this and started thinking about my Benchmade assisted axis-lock EDC and I was wondering if you ever had your knife open, or even partially open in the past ... albeit with less dramatic results. Or was this the first indication of trouble?

I removed the pocket clip on mine and I'm wondering if the fact that the knife isn't being held fixed makes it more resistant to accidental opening. I remember being hyper-vigilant with mine for the first 3-4 months, but I've carried it daily for close to two years now and I have never run across it in any state other than how I leave it ... actually, that is not quite accurate ... I have found the lock accidentally engaged a couple of times. Since it has behaved so well, I now treat it like any other.

But this post has me wondering if all assisted knives are a little "schizo" and capable of going rogue on us without warning

Saands
Old June 12, 2012, 03:17 PM   #28
Marquezj16

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I have shot with my weak hand both with pistols and rifles. It felt odd switching but I was ok. After reading your post, I'll make it a point to train more often utilizing the left side.
Old June 12, 2012, 10:01 PM   #29
MLeake

saands, this was the first time it had opened in that manner. OTOH, the knife doesn't have a positive locking mechanism. The spring assist isn't engaged by a button or switch, but actuates when the blade begins to open. Normally, that's because one is opening the blade. In this case, something bumped it.

Knife is shelved unless I decide to carry it in a leatherman type pouch, which I don't think I will.

Meanwhile, between a 5" SOG with Axis lock, and my Leatherman Skeletool, I think my cutting needs are covered, and neither of those have tried to hurt me yet.

BTW, the doc did a great job with the stitching. Scar will be very thin. Deepest part of the cut still seems to be healing, below surface, at the very base of the heel of my hand. That part is still swollen and tender, but does not appear infected. Both hands are now effectively fully functional.

Thanks again to all for the kind thoughts.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:36 AM   #30
C.O.M.

Hope the hand is doing well. Good on you for practicing, strong and weak hand shooting. I also practice weak hand shooting every session at least 20 rounds at 7 and 10 yards. You never know when you might need that weak hand to save your life.