The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 18, 2017, 01:34 PM   #1
redraif

Newbie...Best gun vise for cleaning & light duty work?

I searched, but there was really not much out there. So I thought I would ask. I hope this is the right section to ask...

Presently I have a long counter top in the kitchen to work at... lol... its fine for my pistols, but now that I'm getting into rifles, I think I need to invest in a gun vise. Sure I could just get some cheap gun cradle at Wal-Mart, but I would like it to function as a helper hand for me. I have a few that I might start lightly modding and I know I will regret it if I don't get some thing that clamps the gun on some level.

So what would you guys recommend?

I have a pretty wide field of rifles and want to be sure what I get will be adequate to work for them all. Presently I have an AK-47, Mosin Nagant, Benelli MR1, CX4, an older tube fed 22LR rifle, Sub 2000 and a KSG. In the future I plan to add a .223 bullpup as well.

I was leaning toward the Tipton offerings. The Tipton gun vise or the Tipton best gun vise. Not sure if the basic version would adequately adjust to hold my varied group. So I'm leaning to the "best", but I just want ot be sure its worth the extra $.

Is there anything better out there?

As for any heavier work I have this guy in the garage, though I know how easy something like this can damage a rifle or barrel, so I don't want to use it for the easy stuff...

But I also have a lighter duty vacuum style my uncle gave me.
Old January 18, 2017, 02:06 PM   #2
rebs

I use the Tipton Best Gun Vise for cleaning, scope mounting and many other uses. It will hold rifles, shotguns and pistols as well as a magazine slot holder for AR's. I love it.
Old January 18, 2017, 04:06 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

I'm using a Tipton vise, entirely adequate and well-made. Don't use a shop vise.
Old January 18, 2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

Moved to Gear and Accessories.
Old January 18, 2017, 04:34 PM   #5
redraif

Thank you... was not sure where was best..

Last edited by redraif; January 18, 2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old January 18, 2017, 08:36 PM   #6
jmhyer

Recent thread here...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582170
Old January 18, 2017, 11:58 PM   #7
redraif

I bumped that one last week and no one replied, so I figured it was dead or in the wrong place...
Old January 19, 2017, 06:01 PM   #8
AllenJ

I got a Tipton gun vise a little over a year ago and love it. I don't have an AR's and don't plan on getting any so I did not see a need for the Tipton Best model.
Old January 20, 2017, 11:19 PM   #9
bamaranger

way back when

Quite a few years ago, I bought a Tipton standard model as a blem, not sure who was carrying them, but I did not give much, and the unit looked and works fine, then and now. MOst of my collection are standard sporters, but I can wrangle some pistol gripped AR/AK's in it as well with a bit of improvising..

I consider it one of my better buys and money well spent. Should have bought one years before.
Old January 21, 2017, 03:28 PM   #10
ShootistPRS

I use my bench vise and soft jaws. I have copper, wood and foam padded soft jaws and it has always worked fine. My work bench was made for working on big parts and not guns but it is used for everything.
Old January 22, 2017, 05:51 PM   #11
tenja

was in your situation as well until last week. Last night I mounted a new scope on an x-bolt using the Tipton Best Gun Vise. I should have bought it years ago.
Old January 22, 2017, 07:05 PM   #12
tynman

I saw this one in a shot show update email looks good and not that expensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a-rzfFYnpg

I would like to know if I can use it to sight in a scope. Meaning can I clamp down a rifle and put it on the table at the range a put a few rounds through the rifle to dial the scope in all while being clamped in this vise.
Old January 22, 2017, 08:57 PM   #13
ShootistPRS

Those vices are not meant to hold a rifle under recoil. They are meant to hold it steady while you work on it.