The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 17, 2017, 06:21 AM   #26
Jack O'Conner

My Dad bought a Remington slide action rifle in .243 for my brother and I to share. That was over 40 years ago and this rifle has felled dozens of deer and a few antelope, too. In my opinion, this fast stepping cartridge does it's best work with 95 grain Nosler bullets. I can not visualize a single one of our kill shots that would've been more effective with a larger caliber.

Jack
Old October 17, 2017, 09:55 AM   #27
taylorce1

Since the OP is talking deer hunting, either will work very well. I look at it this way if you want ammunition availability when you walk into any store that sells ammunition the .243 is a better choice. If you are happy to rely on buying ammunition online or reloading then the 6.5 Creedmoor has a lot to offer. I have a few .243 rifles and no Creedmoor in the safe. I wouldn't hesitate to get the Creedmoor but it doesn't do anything my other rifles don't for hunting.

Now IMO there has been a lot of misinformation on the 6.5 Creedmoor that is perpetuated by the internet as well as here on this forum. Some obvious ones that stick out to me is jmr40's comments. Yes the 147 vs. 150 grain argument is correct, but is that a fair comparison because the bullets are close in weight? A more fair comparison would be to compare the 147 6.5 bullets vs 200 grain .308 bullets, because they would be of similar ballistic coefficients. If you want to use a bullet with a .697 BC vs. a .415 BC bullet and call it a similar comparison I guess you can.

His second argument (6.5 CM vs. .270 Win) only works is you are only using Hornady Superformance ammunition which has a 129 grain Interbond or SST at 2950 fps. That is close to the standard factory load of 3060 fps for the .270 Win, and the slightly better BC of the 6.5 bullet does take over at 300 yards. However if you compare the standard load of the 129 grain 6.5 Creedmoor which is 2820 fps, it can't catch up to the .270 Win until you're past the 500 yard mark. The same thing happens if you compare the .270 Win Superformance load of 3200 fps to the Creedmoor's Superformance load.

Now lets talk twist rates of the .243 Win. The majority of manufactures use a 1:10 twist rate, regardless of what Mr O'Heir likes to post about the 1:9.25 being the most common. The 1:10 twist will stabilize the majority of 100 grain bullets and factory ammunition designed for hunting. The main exception will be Berger bullets or ammunition using Berger bullets that will require a faster twist rate. I do think you'll eventually see an update in twist rate on .243 rifles with a trend towards a faster twist because the bullet are only getting longer.

Current production rifles that use a faster than 1:10 twist rate:
Barrett & Legendary Arms Works 1:8
CVA, Montana Rifle Company, & Ruger 1:9 twist
Remington 1:9.125
Savage 1:9.25

Current production rifles that use a 1:10 twist rate:
Bergara, Blaser, Browning, CZ, Henry Long Ranger, Howa, Kimber, Mossberg & Sons, Nosler, Rossi, Sako, Styer, Tikka, Thompson Center, Weatherby, and Winchester

As you can see there are far more manufactures using the common 1:10 twist vs. the faster twist rate. However, in Mr. O'Heir's defense the rifles (Remington, Ruger, & Savage) with a faster than 1:10 twist are the most talked about on this forum.

The older I get the more I realize the best hunting rifle is the one you already own. Learn the capabilities of what you already have and use that rifle to the maximum potential and you'll be a successful hunter. You'll also have more money in your pocket that'll give you more opportunities to hunt outside your normal areas. I've spent a lot of time and money chasing the perfect big game hunting rifle and if I'd just stuck to the .270 Win when I bought it 22 years ago I'd have been better off. The problem was the .270 Win worked boringly well, killing everything efficiently that I pointed it at.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 17, 2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old October 17, 2017, 10:35 AM   #28
stagpanther

Quote:
Learn the capabilities of what you already have an use that rifle to the maximum potential and you'll be a successful hunter.
Wisdom there--I have so many rifles I can never make my mind up which to use when the leaves fall and the deer dance--I know something about all of them, but am a master of none.
Old October 17, 2017, 12:07 PM   #29
eastbank

I have two rifles that will shoot a cold clean shot and a cold dirty into the same POI at 200 yards from a bench rest, the first is a 7mm08 with a 120gr nosler bullet loaded with varget at 3000 fps and the second is 7mm mag with factory fusion 150gr at 3000fps. both will keep those two shots at 200 yards under a inch. if I was limited to two rifles they would be them. eastbank.
Old October 17, 2017, 01:20 PM   #30
zipspyder

It's fairly easy to get deer MOA ready with a few weapons every year. I have my RAR 7mm-08 for stand sitting and AR15 ruskie for brush busting. I also have a Yugo 48A ready to go if I'm feeling nostalgic.
Old October 18, 2017, 08:02 PM   #31
Dufus

Quote:
The older I get the more I realize the best hunting rifle is the one you already own.
I couldn't have said it any plainer that taylorce1.

My Dad bought me my first 30-06 in 1962. A 1903 Springfield. He paid $24.95 for it at Monkey Wards.

All them years later, I now have 4 in different versions including the 1903 ( still have it and shoot it). I used to have 5, but got rid of the Rem M700 as no one could shoot it.

I have several other calibers, but most are my toys, including the 460 WM.

The 243 vs 6.5 is a good debate and one could not go wrong with either for white tail, but if you get larger game, the 6.5 will show what it can do.

The ammo availability is not a debate item as in today's times, practically all you see advertised is 6.5 Creed. It is a fine cartridge and capable of long range (meaning greater than 300 yds) killing. It can pack more punch with the heavier slugs than the 243 ever thought about.

If I bought a new rifle tomorrow (and I do not need one or want one at least right now), I would not hesitate to pick a good bolt rifle chambered for the 6.5.

My SIL is chomping at the bit to get an AR chambered in that caliber. He wants to practice at 1000 yd with his brother and Dad. His Dad already has one.

Last edited by Dufus; October 18, 2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old October 25, 2017, 12:16 AM   #32
Nunya53

There is the old saying "Beware of the man with one gun, because he knows how to use it." I have calibers all over the spectrum from 17 HMR to 300 WM. Just get a .270 or 30-06, practice and be done with it if you want one gun to do it all. Ammo available anywhere you look. Maybe throw in a 22 LR for small game....

Jerry
Old October 25, 2017, 04:40 AM   #33
eastbank

I have a old Remington 722 in .257 Roberts that shoots lights out with 90gr BTHP bullets at 3200 fps, kills deer dead. eastbank.
Old October 25, 2017, 03:15 PM   #34
Deaf Smith

Any of 'em will do. As long as you have good bullets that stay together and expand then it's placement that counts (Shades of Jack O'Connor!)

I've killed 'em with .223, .243, 30/30,.308,30-06, .300 WM, and .338 WM.

They all will do well (except the .223 not good for shoulder or behind shots.)

I would not fret much. Just pick what is easy for you to hit with and then practice often.

BTW, I'm using a 7mm-08 this year just for fun. I have no doubt it will take any deer made (elk to!)

Deaf
Old October 25, 2017, 03:35 PM   #35
Don Fischer

Boy could this get deep and confusing. The recoil of a 243 will be the same regardless of the weight of the rifle. Even felt recoil will be about the same. Get a 6.5 whatever and recoil is still gonna be the same reguardless the weight of the rifle but they will likely be a felt difference if your wood stock one is 7 1/2 to 8 lbs and the plastic stock one at 5 1/2lbs or 6 lbs. You will likely notice the recoil difference.

My suggestion is get the 243 in a wood stock. Plastic stock's are ugly as sin. And should you hunt something later that might be reasonable to shoot a different cartridge at, get a new rifle at that point! Probably 99% of the guy's on this forum have more than one hunting rifle!

if all your hunting is deer and you'd like a new rifle and the storm and strife say's there is nothing wrong with what you have, tell her your going after some bigger animal and NEED a bigger cartridge. Then you'll have two rifle's! I have, I think, 10 rifle's, four shotgun's and the rest, maybe 6 handgun's. Very easy for me though, I'm single!
Old October 25, 2017, 03:57 PM   #36
jimbob86

Quote:
The older I get the more I realize the best hunting rifle is the one you already own.
Jeff Cooper expounded upon this a generation ago...
Old October 27, 2017, 03:11 PM   #37
Picher

If you're still considering either the .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor and have to buy loaded ammo, you may wish to get the .243 since ammo is more available and much cheaper. Either cartridge will do the job.
Old October 28, 2017, 07:09 AM   #38
hooligan1

The commercial ammuntion point has validity, however 6.5 Creedmoor can be purchased at most big box hunting stores like Cabelas and BassPro.
With all that mumbo out of the way, I had a nice rifle built this past winter chambered for 6.5 Creemoor and its going to the woods on our Mo. opener on the 11th of Nov.
I will be using 140 Accubond handloads taylored to this particular rifle, but handloading for it was probably the trigger that got me to jump into the 6.5 Creedmoor craze.
I definitely would, could and have taken Cleanly multiple deer with the .243 Winchester and would hesitate to do so anytime, anywhere.........but Im going to find out front and center why the Creedmoor is gaining popularity in the field for myself.
Im just like Taylorce1 that when it comes to hunting deer size game, the .270 winchester does everything a fella could ask a cartridge to do, and Im not positive why Im taking on anything new as I have a super nice 03a3 build in .270 win that I would take anywhere in the world to hunt any deer species......I couldve saved a bundle of cash not building the Creedmoor.
Go check rifles for fit and feel, then you decide which is best for yourself....
Old October 29, 2017, 03:17 PM   #39
tdoyka

i've used both(rem 700 adl & bld, rem m7 and savage 110) in 243 and a tc encore (16 1/4" MGM barrel) in 6.5cm. i have killed deer with them, either shoulder or behind the shoulder shot. as far as i'm concerned, the 243 should be a experienced hunter. i'm talking about a older hunter(50ish or so) who has been hunting 30 or so years. in my experience, the 243 was/is not a drt. i have tracked them 30 - 100 yards after the shot. i'm not telling you, you could buy a 243, but i would not.

now the 6.5 creedmoor, in my experience, is a great caliber. i use 120gr nosler bt with a charge of superformance and 6.5cm is a drt deer killer. they all went straight down. i was going try a 140gr hornady sst, but i already have it in my 270. i would tell you to buy it.