The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 29, 2017, 01:38 PM   #26
hdwhit

Quote:
Sevens wrote:
And we never ever ever see a post that says "I work there and this is what we ship today because ______"
I think it's an enforced confidentiality order...
Why would you think that?

How many near-minimum wage jobs do you know that really include a formal confidentiality agreement? I'm not familiar with any. I see confidentiality agreements with people who know the operational and trade secrets of the company, not the guys down on the shop floor stamping out the parts and bolting them together.

Quote:
My thoery on gun manufacturing today is that I want to guess that every employee hired in this industry must have a hardcore confidentiality clause that they are required to sign and it is being energetically enforced.
This would be easy to verify. If there is any number of confidentiality agreements being signed and any "energetic enforcement" then it should be easy enough to find the civil court filings (they are public record) in the jurisdictions that the companies reside in looking for the filings of suits against employees. Even if the suits were later settled out of court, the initial filing would still be in the court's records.

Can you point to any?

"The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" so it is certainly true that the lack people coming forward telling about how bad the products they make truly are is no evidence that the products are good, but it certainly is not a justification for an (as yet unsubstantiated) conspiracy theory about confidentiality agreements.
Old September 29, 2017, 02:38 PM   #27
Ricklin

Boilerplate

Check that employment agreement, that's where you will find what keeps folks quiet.

TT and HiBC really get it about manufacturing. I've got 40 years in it myself. The last 25 have been as an independent manufacturer's rep.

As such I work with several companies. Over the years have worked with both ISO and non ISO certified. The non ISO manufacturer's are the ones where I will be cleaning up the mess in the field, invariably.

Quality can not be inspected in to a product. Period.
Old September 29, 2017, 04:01 PM   #28
Jim Watson

Part of the "statistical quality control" game is to calculate whether it will be cheaper to rework, say 0.1% of production on warranty or improve the build quality of !00% so you don't have warranty returns.
Old September 29, 2017, 04:01 PM   #29
HiBC

Quote:
For someone who makes way more than the Ruger employees, I can say that money isn't an issue, but having a union rep I can go to and say to them, "My company's tool room is disorganized as hell, the tools are in horrible condition because they're not store properly and because of that, my production is suffering and its not my fault. I keep telling supers and managers about it, but they're not doing anything. Think you could talk to them?"
Turning a substandard tool crib over to the Union steward might be one way to do it.It seems to me indirect triangulation. The Union's first loyalty will not be to quality production.The Union's first loyalty is to Union dues.The same union is willing to strike.

I have lived a far more direct way,via at least two paths. Every time I performed an operation it was first part inspected. As I made my run,if I had a non conforming part,I had to enter a non-conformance report.It included my emp number,time/date,Work order,etc. And the variance.It also asked "Root cause" Failure to follow process was an option. So was bad tool or cutter.There WOULD be follow up.

If there was a systemic or non routine problem,the Manufacturing Engineer's door was open.
The MFG ENG was on my team. The MFG ENG was directly responsible for the mfg process. His butt was on the line,as was the line super.
If a machine,or cutters,or fixtures were root cause of process variation,the MFG ENG will be all over it. We had a great toolcrib. If the toolcrib was a problem,....well,in this shop,action would be taken before it got out of control.
The line super handled the human factor. I temporarily worked Quality on a line that had problems. A certain amount of that was aforementioned undermotivated,underskilled "monkeys" Three Supers in one year failed to correct the problem.They were replaced.

Like I said,this operation has been successful over 100 yrs.They know how.

The whole plant has a perimeter and cross pathways 10 feet wide made of chipped flint terrazzo,ground and polished flat and smooth. Heavy baskets of steel parts could be dragged easily station to station.

Once a week the entire plant was scrubbed and mopped.

At any moment,the parts for WO 6750382 could be located via computer,"OP 5,OD grinder station 47" in about 30 seconds.
And every machine had a maintenance schedule. Every Mic and plug guage,a calibration schedule.

We made good stuff
Old September 29, 2017, 04:09 PM   #30
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
Check that employment agreement, that's where you will find what keeps folks quiet.
This... Go ask your boss if you can start a blog about items that you feel are material quality control issues regarding your employer. Best case scenario is you will be laughed out of the room
Old September 29, 2017, 04:15 PM   #31
HiBC

Quote:
Part of the "statistical quality control" game is to calculate whether it will be cheaper to rework, say 0.1% of production on warranty or improve the build quality of !00% so you don't have warranty returns.
Jim,in some cases,yes.

What is the acceptable failure rate for critical parts an a GE turbine aircraft engine?

Lookup "Six Sigma Quality" It is achievable.
Old September 29, 2017, 04:50 PM   #32
Sevens

Good god, it'll be a miracle if non-stop UNION/anti-UNION chatter doesn't get this thread locked down, what a mess.

Again, my basic point...

In these forums (here and other places, especially gun forums that also host a non-gun, "open" or lounge/general discussion area) we find that folks from all walks of employment take part -- many of them offering experience or help in their area of trade. Including gunsmiths.

When do we ever see someone post anything at all (I mean anything, even the vending machine selection) from inside a known American gunmaker within the last 10 years?

In my experience-- these people do not exist. And certainly there are folks who work at say, S&W who are just there for employment and har no passion for guns/shooting... but ALL employees of ALL American gun makers?

We had a guy active here a couple years ago that was consulting with the current iteration of Coonan as he had been on the original Coonan crew. Extremely nice and helpful poster here at TFL and I cannot for the life of me remember even one other poster that ever claimed to work for a major (even minor) American gun maker in any recent past and I've been active on this site for nearly a decade I think.

All I'm saying is that in a gun forum, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an electrician, cop, accountant, chef, realtor, lawyer, teacher, snow plow driver, musician, pilot and 300 other known occupations but we NEVER see anyone that enjoys guns/shooting and also happens to work for a known gunmaker.

You guys can continue to detail your version of "American decline", I'm merely saying that we never see employees or recent employees that make guns in all of our gun forums.

Maybe Reddit has 'em.
Old September 29, 2017, 05:17 PM   #33
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
Turning a substandard tool crib over to the Union steward might be one way to do it.It seems to me indirect triangulation. The Union's first loyalty will not be to quality production.The Union's first loyalty is to Union dues.The same union is willing to strike.

I have lived a far more direct way,via at least two paths. Every time I performed an operation it was first part inspected. As I made my run,if I had a non conforming part,I had to enter a non-conformance report.It included my emp number,time/date,Work order,etc. And the variance.It also asked "Root cause" Failure to follow process was an option. So was bad tool or cutter.There WOULD be follow up.

If there was a systemic or non routine problem,the Manufacturing Engineer's door was open.
The MFG ENG was on my team. The MFG ENG was directly responsible for the mfg process. His butt was on the line,as was the line super.
If a machine,or cutters,or fixtures were root cause of process variation,the MFG ENG will be all over it. We had a great toolcrib. If the toolcrib was a problem,....well,in this shop,action would be taken before it got out of control.
The line super handled the human factor. I temporarily worked Quality on a line that had problems. A certain amount of that was aforementioned undermotivated,underskilled "monkeys" Three Supers in one year failed to correct the problem.They were replaced.

Like I said,this operation has been successful over 100 yrs.They know how.

The whole plant has a perimeter and cross pathways 10 feet wide made of chipped flint terrazzo,ground and polished flat and smooth. Heavy baskets of steel parts could be dragged easily station to station.

Once a week the entire plant was scrubbed and mopped.

At any moment,the parts for WO 6750382 could be located via computer,"OP 5,OD grinder station 47" in about 30 seconds.
And every machine had a maintenance schedule. Every Mic and plug guage,a calibration schedule.

We made good stuff
The tool crib is just one example of a ISO 9000 or 9001 company I just recently parted with. They also had this "L3 Continuous Improvement" lean manufacturing operation thing going too, but I had the feeling that the only reason they had a placard on the wall about L3 was to snowball investors when they gave them a tour of the facility and make them believe all we ever did was continuous improvement.

In over a year of being there, I rarely saw any improvement. Anytime I, a former manufacturing/process engineer and CNC Programmer, saw a process that didn't make sense or outright led to lost production, I didn't bother bringing it up to supervisors or go back to the office and tell engineers because I always got the same answer, "That's the way we've been making it for 20 years."

If the only response was going to be the "20 years" deal, then clearly the company didn't care about continuous improvement and that doesn't come from the employees, that comes from management.

Like you, the company did first part inspection. The part would get submitted to QC, they'd inspect it and give the ok if it was good.

If there was scrap, we were supposed to fill out a non-conformance ticket and put red dykem on the part. Usually no follow up unless there was a lot of bad or possibly bad parts.

The Manufacturing Engineer was one of the worst I've ever seen. We were mostly a production shop running the same stuff every couple months, but when there was a new product that was just recently programmed, the engineer didn't bother with making a setup sheet or tool list. He'd just print out the program and that was your setup sheet. No pictures, no wireframe printouts of the setup, just a phyiscal copy of the program and some chicken scratches detailing (poorly) where the zero's were.

It got to the point he would setup the machine, dial in the feeds/speeds down to where the noise didn't sound like a passing freight train, and then try and hit dimensions before submitting to QC.

Glad to not work there anymore.

We made stuff that could have been made better, but... "We been makin it dat way fa 20 yeeers" really hampers the ability to continuously improve.

I assume at companies that have been making the GP100 or Model 686 the same way for X years, the mentality is similar. If production is lost, it's because of that non-union employee that's paid the generous wage of $10/hr.
Old September 29, 2017, 05:38 PM   #34
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post

TT and HiBC really get it about manufacturing. I've got 40 years in it myself. The last 25 have been as an independent manufacturer's rep.

As such I work with several companies. Over the years have worked with both ISO and non ISO certified. The non ISO manufacturer's are the ones where I will be cleaning up the mess in the field, invariably.

Quality can not be inspected in to a product. Period.
It's always nice to hear from somebody in their 50's and 60's that a guy not even 30 "gets it" about manufacturing. Thanks, I'll try not to let it go to my head.

It's been my experience the ISO companies are where there's so much improvement that can be made, but it's not done because... they're already ISO certified. What more do they or should they do?

I'm of the opinion that ISO certification is one of the worst things a company seeks to be. People believe it's the ISO that improves quality. No, all ISO is is a documentation system that can show that quality sucks, but once that's found, it's how to improve the quality that matters.

You don't need to spend half a million dollars on consultants and other nonsense when all it takes is a little COMMON sense and some creativity.

All I've seen is once a company gets ISO, they stop being creative, they stop trying to continually improve because they have the ISO marketing gimmick they can feed their dumb, college educated customers.

Then the non-ISO companies I've worked for... they'd been around almost 100 years and their quality was top notch. Union machinists, skilled process engineers, almost never made scrap unless there was a... monkey who messed up. Had several baboons, but mistakes weren't often. Not nearly as often as the ISO companies I've been.

Anyway, Kel Tec is a company that got ISO certification. Doesn't mean squat. All I hear is Kel Tec's quality is poor and they still can't meet demand.
Old September 29, 2017, 05:51 PM   #35
BigJimP

I'm with RedDog81 in this....I think a lot of it can be blamed on consumers that want absolutely the lowest cost.../ ....and companies are reacting to that trend ../..and too many consumers seen to think they should get Wilson Combat quality and reliability out of a $ 300 gun ( but this trend is in clothing, cars, tools, etc as well as guns ).

The pressure on price in my view drives quality down...because well trained people, quality parts, quality assembly and good QC cost money. If companies have to meet that low ball cost standard, they have to cut corners.

There are plenty of quality mfg's out there...( Wilson Combat, Freedom Arms, etc ...with very good people, good parts, good QC and very good warranty service, if you need it ). But the entry price level for those guns is closer to $3,000 not $ 300...

I don't think every gun at a low cost is a terrible gun either...I talk to a lot of happy customers from S&W, Glock, Springfield, etc...that are not spending over $ 800 for a gun ever...they don't want, or can't, spend $3K on a gun so they find what suits them for value. A guy next to me at range yesterday was evaluating a number of 9mm's...tried all the popular models, and he excluded HK because of the price even though he liked it better than one of the XD models he decided on.

It was his belief that price was the primary issue ( in his words, especially in a 9mm )...and I know he had money, I watched him drive in - in a brand new BMW SUV - and he was wearing his employee badge from Microsoft.../....he isn't going to change his approach and buy a Wilson Combat in 9mm for
$3,000 - $4,000 ...its not worth it to him.

Low price is a trend...and it gives us some decent guns...and some junk...but its not going away in my view.

Employees, union or not, will make better guns, or products in general, if the companies will train and educate them and focus on quality and fit and finish as a priority ....they don't want to turn out junk / but its not up to them, the companies have to decide what market segment they want to compete in - low end or high end ( both are full of competition !).

Its my personal belief that Wilson Combat makes the finest guns in the industry...and I think they're worth every penny / just like I prefer my vehicles from Lexus.../ ...my hand power tools from Festool ....( they each provide long term value, in my view )...and I am happy to pay for what I want.

Last edited by BigJimP; September 29, 2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old September 29, 2017, 07:47 PM   #36
Psychedelic Bang

IBTL

My VW sucks. I'm not kidding. I have a 2016 jetta made in Mexico, its a POS. Sorry I bought it... hopefully this January I can trade it in.

My Smith and Wesson 442 is rock solid - well built, awesome gun - if I pull the trigger, it is going to fire. I trust it with my life.

Modern gun manufacturing, my theory? Don't buy a cheap gun, buy a well known brand.

I also like what guy said earlier in this thread about the Colt Python - yes, people don't want expensive guns right now. Plastic and aluminum guns rain supreme.

That said.. Very likely the new Colt Cobra is my next gun. Notice, its not a cheap gun.
Old September 29, 2017, 07:50 PM   #37
TruthTellers

I'll say this about the "cheap gun" debate going here:

Buy a cheap gun, but don't buy a cheaply made gun.
Old September 29, 2017, 08:35 PM   #38
HiBC

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that ISO certification is one of the worst things a company seeks to be. People believe it's the ISO that improves quality. No, all ISO is is a documentation system that can show that quality sucks, but once that's found, it's how to improve the quality that matters.
I somewhat agree with you.A company can win the Malcom Baldridge award and go bankrupt.
I agree that in and of itself,ISO certification won't do much.It depends on what your company does. You simply cannot do business in the euro market without ISO cert.
I'm not positive,but I believe most government contracts are out of reach if you are not ISO cert.
And any company that requires ISO cert to do business cannot farm work out to you if you are not ISO cert.

But agreed,its a mistake to make any quality cert your mission statement.

Now,continuous improvement. Good stuff. But you don't want somebody who monkeys with the thermostat because they feel cold.Thats what Deming calls "Tampering" Your ideas might be excellent.

Improvement costs money,and it must not be chaotic.There IS something to "If it ain't broke,don't fix it"

A company needs to prioritize improvement projects. It has to dedicate resources to the project,with an objective. There is a process,the Shewhert process,that describes what is next..and I forget.
But you first study the process.Figure out a plan for improvement. And measure your system. Like 16 failures per 1000.Then implement the change,and measure the effect.Then start over till desired results are achieved A company may have 5 of those projects running.
If your very good idea is not about an identified hemorrhage ,it is chaotic to pursue unstudied changes.It must wait on the back burner till it is a top priority.
It might very well be that getting ISO spent a lot of money and your cad and other doc services are catching up for some time.
Getting everyone on board the processes and using the doc systems takes time.
30 ish,huh? How is your patience? You might cozy up to learning the grand strategy.Its the folks with positive attitudes that get drafted to the teams.How are you doing?
Maybe instead of trying to steer,help push.With a smile.
You might have had some mediocre management,scared of change and trying to CYA. Time can sort that out,too.
Too bad a mentor did not step in....
But its also true a mentor usually selects you.Next time....as Odball might say "Enough with the negative waves,Moriarity!"(Kelly's Heros)

Last edited by HiBC; September 29, 2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old September 29, 2017, 08:47 PM   #39
tipoc

Quote:
All I'm saying is that in a gun forum, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an electrician, cop, accountant, chef, realtor, lawyer, teacher, snow plow driver, musician, pilot and 300 other known occupations but we NEVER see anyone that enjoys guns/shooting and also happens to work for a known gunmaker.

You guys can continue to detail your version of "American decline", I'm merely saying that we never see employees or recent employees that make guns in all of our gun forums.
Occasionally I see folks who work for gun manufacturers on other forums. Not often though. I think it has more to do with being hounded off the forums than anything else.

I have a friend who works for Glock in Ga. He said as far as he knows folks avoid the gun forums because they take the heat for things they have no control over or any knowledge of. For awhile he had one job then another, then another after that with more to come. He stamped serial numbers on barrels, he placed the sights on slides, Moved parts from one place to another and more. He told me some workers go onto the forums but talk about shooting and not about where they work.

Most wage workers don't ever see any "employment agreement". Those are for salaried employees generally. Confidentiality agreements usually cover prints or photos of parts either relating to military contracts or contract work where fear of industrial espionage is a factor. Those do effect workers on the floor. They do not cover casual conversation about the quality of their products overall though.

But any plant with contracts with law enforcement or the government would provide warnings to their workers and salaried personnel both to not discuss any issues regarding specifics of this.

Finally any thinking that it's unions, one way or another, that have an influence on the quality of firearms produced in the U.S. is dealing with the metaphysical. It's just not the case.

tipoc
Old September 29, 2017, 09:18 PM   #40
roashooter

Quote:
Buy a cheap gun, but don't buy a cheaply made gun.
all the "cheap" guns I have seen/handled....were cheap because they were "cheaply made"...
Old September 29, 2017, 09:52 PM   #41
Slamfire

Bud of mine got to tour the Remington Plant in Huntsville Alabama. He is not a gun person so he was not interested in the same things I was and did not ask the sort of questions I would.

He said the plant was divided into three sections. One a firing range, the second section for storage. They had a bunch of guns sitting around. The third section, which I assume was the same size as the other two, the machines and the assemblers.

The automated machines were making everything. I think it was frames, receivers, bolts, barrels. I got the idea small parts were contracted out, probably stocks, handguards, internal parts, springs, etc. If you saw someone, it was a single person picking up something that fell off the conveyor belt, walking around the other machining centers patrolling the area. He saw a barrel machine but it was all enclosed. Something went into, a barrel came out. He said the in process inspection technology was beyond anything he had ever seen before. Lasers and probes and God knows what else. The machines would tell the humans when a tool needed changing.

At the end of the production line were a bunch of 20 somethings standing around benches assembling guns from parts. I asked if he saw anyone with a file, and he had not. He did remark that no one had a chair, you stood all day and I assume, just put the things together from parts. No bench fitting at all. I will bet if someone brought in a special tool, it would be taken away.

Changes in production came from the Engineering Area. They would send instructions to the machines. I don't know what tool changes they needed, had to be some, but pretty much these machines are configured to use the tools they have, which can be a massive selection. The machines were run by programs. Someone goes through a checklist, makes sure the proper materials are being sent in, hits a button, makes sure what comes off the end of the production line is what is wanted.

Modern manufacturing uses very little "touch labor". I have examined pictures of old gun manufacturer's, lots of people, lots of in process inventory. Not what is going on now. Pretty much no in process inventory, everything is just in time. Very few people and the jobs are so simple that it takes very little time to train the monkey to do his job. Sort of the skill difference between a short order cook and a hamburger assembler at a fast food joint. It takes about 15 minutes of training and you are a fully trained hamburger assembler. Low wages too, less than 32 hours a week, total salary less than minimum wages at 40 hours a week.

You guys who hate Unions, they are pretty much gone. Gone are the well paying jobs with benefits. Welcome to immiseration of the working class. You wanted it, you voted for it, and now you got it. How is it with the kids and grand kids living with you because they can't afford an apartment with their salary? Where are they going to go when you kick the bucket?

Be careful what you ask for.
Old September 30, 2017, 06:54 AM   #42
Jim Watson

Quote:
What is the acceptable failure rate for critical parts an a GE turbine aircraft engine?

Lookup "Six Sigma Quality" It is achievable.
Six sigma out on the normal probability curve covers all but 3.4 instances out of a million. (The quickie version my agency got from a hot shot consultant was "One in a million.")
It is apparently not achievable in something as simple as a firearm made to sell for $5000.00
Old September 30, 2017, 09:48 AM   #43
Ricklin

Here's the thing......

I recently completed a small workbench in my private office at home. I have embarked on a couple of projects that are intended to be profitable.

Above that little bench are these three words. Faster, Cheaper, Better.

Very tough to hit all three goals, they must be hit to be successful. We may not attain 100% on each of the three goals, but it's what to strive for.

Most will recognize the above being used heavily in the world of computers. Its my opinion that it applies to darn near everything. Drop faster from the mix and you have the real challenge.

Most any engineer can resolve an issue by throwing money at it. If one can do it better for less, the world beats a path to your door.
Old September 30, 2017, 09:56 AM   #44
GarandTd

It's my experience that business's cut costs at the bottom. The bottom is the people that do most of the work. Cut costs at the bottom to increase profit at the top. The ones at the top are "educated", but not necessarily skilled.

I work at a union outfit. It has pros and cons. In my experience, the the less ambitious workers benefit greatly while the ambitious hard workers pay the price. On the plus side, decent wages and good benefits are also a result and those benefit everyone. I work hard and take pride in my work. It is a character trait of mine. That trait is unrelated to the structure of my workplace.
Happy, well trained, well payed employees are going to make a better product. Companies bring in more educated executives at the expense of the workers manufacturing the product.

This is my opinion mixed with life experience.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:22 AM   #45
Mr. Hill

Manufacturing is a difficult process. Making sure everything is exactly right every time is very difficult. And expensive. That's why a Wilson or a Brown gun is more expensive than a standard production gun from another company; the consumer is paying for the engineering, the parts, and the eyes and experience of the worker. But for a lot of consumers, a standard production glock/ruger/smith is just fine for that consumer's intended use.

As far as the union slamming on here, I've got exactly one week of union experience in the IBEW. I'm totally green. And I've never seen such a hard working and skilled group of skilled tradesmen and tradeswomen in my life. They make sure it's right, every time. Perfectly cut pieces. Perfectly level. Correctly installed. Absolutely safe. And they help each other out, and keep each other safe. Including the guys like me who don't know anything.

I cut a piece of conduit for the first time this week. It wasn't a square cut. I handed it to the journeyman, who looked at it, looked at me, and basically said, nope, it's not right, do it again and make it right. He wasn't going to hang it, because it wasn't right and up to the standard. The customer probably wouldn't have noticed, but that didn't matter to him; he's a professional electrician. If you truly believe that's somehow communist or whatever, I'm going to suggest that you don't know what communism really is, and perhaps you ought to educate yourself about how Stalin treated people in Russia, or what's happening in Venezuela right now.
Old September 30, 2017, 11:10 AM   #46
HiBC

I have a challenge for you all.
Without using your smartphone or Funk and Wagnall...just from the foundation you write your comments from, Define "Quality"
Old September 30, 2017, 11:25 AM   #47
tipoc

Back to the OP's question...

I mentioned before a few reasons workers from the firearms industry don't always join in on gun forums. Here are some more:

Trolls. A person who works for Kimber or Ruger, for example could catch a lot of undeserved flack from whiners or trolls.

Wisdom. Sometimes there are things you just can't say. If there is a re-org at work or an ongoing issue with a dept. It's not wise to talk about that on a public forum where word can get back to co-workers or bosses.

Example: You post on a thread that the reason so many sights come loose on the pistols is because the of the 3 people who work on that one is a heroin addict, the other going through a divorce and the third comes in drunk and nothing he does is good till 10 a.m. So the boss hears of this and wants to know who these people are. Or worse your co-workers come to you and want to know how you could do that to them. Word gets around that you're ratting folks out and etc.

Example two: Word is all over the forums that a certain gun made by the place you work is not drop safe, or is prone to ka-booms with 40 S&W. The internet erupts! You can't resist. You say that the company has known about this for years but is hiding the extent of it but will fix it. Folks know you know the inside scoop! Your words get around. A couple of weeks later the boss calls you in. Turns out the post you did was widely read. 7 police depts. that had issues with the guns have filed suit against us and the State Attorney General has called you in to produce evidence. Oh and starting next Monday you'll be working as a custodian graveyard shift. It's less money than you make now but enjoy the 10 cent an hour shift differential.

Just a couple of examples.

tipoc
Old September 30, 2017, 11:37 AM   #48
tipoc

One other point, "monkeys" don't build things. Human beings do.

A boss once came up to me after I had screwed something up at work one time. He said "This is so simple a monkey can do it!" I told him to get the monkey then and let me go on home. I also told him it made him more qualified to do that job than the one he had. You can't let bosses insult you or others.

tipoc
Old September 30, 2017, 11:40 AM   #49
tipoc

Quote:
I have a challenge for you all.
Without using your smartphone or Funk and Wagnall...just from the foundation you write your comments from, Define "Quality"
That's a good question.

tipoc
Old September 30, 2017, 12:27 PM   #50
HiBC

I don't follow other forums much.There are a couple of 4WD ones I visit occasionally.
If this were a fine dining forum,I doubt many restaurant employees would describe the rotting food Gordon Ramsay discovers in the walk ins.
If it were a health forum I doubt we would have many hospital employees talk about amputating wrong limbs or getting blood types wrong or spreading human "Mad Cow Disease" because the autoclave did ot kill the prijons on the instruments,and those colonoscopes,if you only knew.....The anesthetists don't post about what you did while you were under.
If this were a forum about pickup trucks,I doubt you'd get inside dirt about the auto mfr's and the employees smoking dope and hanging out at the bar on the clock.

Dysfunctional families keep secrets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WE,the customer,find our disappointments via our expectations.

I'm sure the Old Guard S+W would have remained happy making fine,highly finished Old School Revolvers.And I'm sure the Old Guard S+W Revolver Customer would still buy all of them the retirement income could afford.

And,if that remained the focus of S+W products,the doors would close and S+W would be no more. Like Colt Revolvers and High Standard 22 semi autos.
How affordable is an Ithaca 37,new,these days?

The market for the S+W fine revolver discovered the Glock,and the 1911,and the AR.
If you are S+W,and you want to survive,maybe you do what you can to keep the revolver business viable,and,you MIGHT not meet all the customer expectations.But remember how close S+W was to death,after they caved to anti-gun forces.
Now S+W makes polymer striker semi-autos to compete with Glock.A Shield can be had in the $300+ range and its one of the top choices for a Volksgun.
At Hi-Point price.
And S+W is making AR's and 1911's.
Julie Golob just went to France and won a World Championship,with others,of course. That is good marketing.

You just are not going to put a deep,fine polished blue on a polymer frame.
Or an AR. 1911 BBQ guns are a niche market. But you CAN sell some $700-+ 1911's.
Despite our laments,S+W is ,or appears to be,thriving in a market where...You tell me?,Are Colt,Ruger,and Win(by what ever name) Rem,Savage,any healthier than S+W?

One definition of quality,I credit a Juran TQM seminar for:

Its a feeling....that the customer has after spending the dollar on the product.
That is the ultimate measure.

Some might feel an optically polished titanium handled toothbrush is quality,at $1412 each. But few will buy ANY $1412 toothbrush.
BIC does pretty well selling lighters,pens,and disposable razors. Why? They have the right Qualities to become the customer's choice.

Might S+W experience some chaos and turmoil transforming from an "Old Joe" traditional S+W Classic Revolver Co with LEOS being a major market that died,to a Semi Auto M+P modern method production Co? I expect so.

I expect Old Joe grumbles and resists. "John Henry was a steel drivin man"

But the one handgun,I don't really need,but I just WANT,is a S+W 45ACP Shield.....FWIW.