The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 25, 2017, 06:47 PM   #1
1stmar

Savage 10T SR quick review

I didn't find much info on this rifle before I made my purchase, perhaps because it's not significantly different the other savage 10s but I thought I would give a short review. 223 cal

Stock:
Best way I can describe it is serviceable. It's not pretty, feels cheap but seems to work well. It has roughy a 2.5" beaver tail forensic and a decent recoil pad. It's composite black and feels hollow and thin but doesn't seem to flex much and is stable from a rest. Has 2 sling posts in the fore end and 1 in the butt stock.

Barrel: medium weight with a thread protector. Black melonite, looks ok. Starting to grow on me. Performs very well. 5r rifling seems tighter than other barrels I have while cleaning gets dirty easy. Doesn't seem to be affected by it though.

Receiver:
Reasonably smooth bolt action. I like the tactical bolt handle. Matt finish that mates well with the barrel.

Magazine:
Says it holds 4 but I can easily get 5. This is a sore point for me and the few reviews I did read also found issues here. The last round (regardless if I load 4 or 5, rarely feeds. Pushing up on the bottom of the mag sometimes works. Additionally feeding can be challenging. Rounds frequently lodge between the mag and the breech. Since I don't hunt and I'm not an operator, this is mostly an annoyance for me. But it's a big one. It is more prominent with longer rounds such as 69gr smk but happens with others. Admittedly the cartridges are loaded to touch the rifling but still should not do this.

Trigger:
Trigger is excellent. Acutrigger crisp and light. Right out of the box about 2-2.5lbs. Very consistent.

Fit and finish:
I'd say it's c+, the mag is the biggest issue all other components fit and finish is about what you'd expect for a rifle such as this.

Accuracy:
This is where it shines. I don't think I have fired a handloD that exceeded 1". 70% are between .5-7 about 10% above .7 and about 20% below .5. His rifle is super consistent. I've fired 53, 55, 60, and 69 grain bullets and it liked all of them.

Despite the mag issues I am very pleased. I got this on sale and w military discount and a coupon for about $535. Hard to beat for that price but there are little annoyances. I've put a lot of rounds down the tube right after on another and heat doesn't seem to impact poi much. I've done very little in terms of real load development because almost everything has shot so well. I have $100 Simmons scope on it, total investment under $650 and shoots great.

If you're looking for a shooter I definetly recommend it. I had some reservations since it was a cabelas exclusive. Wasn't sure if some corners would be cut. Not the prettiest girl at the dance but she can dance. I've enjoyed shooting it.

Last edited by 1stmar; September 25, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old September 28, 2017, 12:31 PM   #2
RC20

Good deal. Might write-up what it is further, I always have to look up these days as so many model and variations.

As for cleaning, Carbon Killer 2000 does a great job and a warm barrel cleans faster.

Savage barrels are rough, they don't lap them, so they get dirty fast.

I have found a nylon brush works best as it soaks up the cleaner, I either use an eye dropper to get CK2 on it in the magazine area and or run it through and soak it good out the end and then back and forth 3 or 4 times. Do that two or three times, dry patch, repeat until clean.

Dry patch at the end.

There are similar cleaners to C2K, non haz, non toxic, no odor and very focused on carbon (or copper) - beats the old cleaner all hollow as shown by a boro scope look.

If you get copper then the Bore Tehc Eliminator is very good, it does carbon to, not as good as C2K but good and works for stripping layers of carbon and copper.

It to is a non haz, non toxic and pretty odorless. I think others out there as well but that's the one I have used and settled on.
Old September 28, 2017, 01:13 PM   #3
1stmar

I'll look into ck2. I've been using one of the foaming cleaners and it seems to work well on copper and powder. Quick and easy.
Old September 28, 2017, 04:09 PM   #4
RC20

If it works that's great.

My wife had issues with the smell of my Hoppes and kroil. Also not that effective.

I read up a guys search and he had found those to work incredibly well and no odor.

I like the zero haz part a lot.

When I got the boroscope (Lyaman) I could see why, never got it all out.

The CK2K got it totally clean, used it on some mil surplus barrels and it was amazing.

They looked right out of the factory.
Old September 28, 2017, 05:21 PM   #5
1stmar

Good info... will check it out. Thx