The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2013, 09:43 AM   #1
scubadude

Taurus PT99

So I have some scuba gear I'm trying to sell and someone wants to trade me one of these for it. The gear in question is valued at $199 but my minimum take would be $150. Oh, and he's offering 500 rounds with it too. From what I've seen, this is a $300-400 range gun. I've asked about any issues and if the ammo is new or reloaded. It smells iffy to me. I'd have to try out the gun but I'm just curious as to what you folks think. I'm 75% in the 'no deal' category but just doing my due diligence.

Thanks in advance!
Old October 15, 2013, 12:55 PM   #2
lee n. field

I'm having trouble from your description understanding the deal you're trying to make.

There's a lot of Taurus whining and bellyaching around. This particular model is one you don't hear people complaining about.

If the ammo is handloaded, I'd pass on that part of the deal. Too many fools in the world, and some of them load their own ammo.

Without going to gunbroker and looking at completed auctions, and without knowing the vintage or condition of this particular unit, I'd guess 300-something on value.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 15, 2013, 01:00 PM   #3
LockedBreech

A lot of people say it's the equal of the Beretta. In my experience (admittedly limited with this particular model) that is not true. It's true that the PT design is originally an older Beretta design, but Taurus quality control, like Kimber's, frequently throws a wrench into what could otherwise be a great gun.

In exchange for $150-200 gear, that's a good deal, but you might wonder why he's giving you that good of a deal when he could get $300-400 on Gunbroker. Could be something is wrong. Especially since the ammo alone is worth about what your scuba gear is.

You might be getting an awesome deal, just approach it cautiously.
Old October 16, 2013, 03:13 AM   #4
Ryu825

I'd do it. The ammo alone is worth about that much, throw in a gun and it's a no brainer. Even if the gun sucks you'd be making every penny you sell it for and if it's good then hey you basically just got a free gun
Old October 16, 2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Skans

I had a PT99 that suffered from a bad locking block failure, which I've discussed many times before. But, even I would buy 500 rounds of reloaded 9mm + a Taurus PT99 for $150!
Old October 16, 2013, 07:23 AM   #6
aarmel732

Make the trade, I will be happy to send you $200 for the gun and you can keep the ammo.
I have a PT100 and it has been faultless over thousands of rounds. I use both the pt100 .40 upper, and have a matching pt92 9mm upper. Change the top, throw in a new mag, and it is perfect.
With both the 9mm upper and 40 upper, I have never ever had a failure of any type. Taurus got this gun right.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:33 PM   #7
oldandslow

sd, 10/17/13

I've had the PT-99 for about fifteen years. I've got 5500 rounds through mine. It's the adjustable sight version of the PT-92. Mine had problems with the rear sight roll-pin walking out when firing the pistol and the sight would fall off the pistol onto the ground. I also had a locking block break at the 3000 round count. Taurus did mail me a replacement locking block but it took three months. To fix the adjustable sight problem I just filed a dovetail into the slide and put in an old HK-USP fixed sight. Works fine now.

If he wants to trade $200 of scuba gear for the pistol that is a pretty good deal for you if you're handy with fixing pistol problems. Just make sure the pistol if not "hot." If I had it to do over again I'd just get a used Beretta 92 (better fit, finish, quality and resale value) instead of the Taurus. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow