The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 8, 2013, 09:40 PM   #1
chasnasty

CCP aplication in Niagara County NY

My girlfriend and I took your firearms class this past February and applied for handgun permits shortly afterward in Niagara county.

A couple weeks ago we had our interviews with an investigator from the county sheriffs dept. This seemed to go fine and he asked my girlfriend about whether she uses any medication for depression and anxiety. She does take Lexipro 10mg once every three days for a very minor case of depression which this seems to relieve. A couple days ago she received a request for a release of her medical records from the pistol permit office. I've enclosed these letters in .pdf format for your review.

Do you know if this is a bad sign for her application? Will this hamper my application since i live with her? Thank you in advance for any information you could provide.

If she does get denied for this is there anything else we can do?
Old July 9, 2013, 12:12 AM   #2
GJSchulze

It depends. In NYS the decisions are made county by county, so it depends on the recommendation of the deputy and the judge. It may also depend on her doctor. How does her doctor feel about guns? Since she admitted taking something, a refusal to release her records could be grounds for her being declined. If either of you are refused, go see a lawyer that specializes in this kind of work to appeal. Or go see a lawyer now.

Before Newtown I would've said don't worry; now all I can say is "who knows?"

In Monroe County three years ago I was interviewed in Oct and got my permit in Feb. I had applied the previous May, so 9 months.