The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 26, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1
DavidB2

De-cocker/hammer vs striker fire question

Being more "old school" I am trying to gain appreciation for the striker fired semi-autos. I particularly like the M&P where the "safety" is the trigger. However, also wondered about the practical aspects of the de-cocker pistols in DA/SA such as CZ75DB, FNP 9, or P95. Can anyone en-lighten me as the pros and cons of de-cocker and hammer vs. striker fired pistol actions?
Old November 26, 2012, 05:17 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Sure, read these pages and we'll talk about it.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506893
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 26, 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
gc70

The Autoloaders section of THR has a sticky with extensive and detailed information about different trigger types.

Of course, you do not really have to choose between striker-fired versus DA/SA with a hammer and decocker. The Walther P99 is striker-fired AND has a DA/SA trigger and decocker.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:00 PM   #4
marine6680

Its all personal preference really.

I like all types, and can get in the swing of things after a few minutes of practice. When given a good example of the action. (the Sig 2022 had an odd DA/SA transition that I didn't like, but my CZ is fine. I owned an XD that I really liked.)

Some think the longer/harder DA first pull of the DA/SA pistol is the safest when there is no manual safety. (as in safer than a striker fired) And they feel that the SA pull of a DA/SA, while not as good as a dedicated SA pistol, is superior to the trigger pull of a striker fired pistol. You just have to deal with the DA to SA transition.

Others prefer the consistent trigger pull of the striker fired pistols. Lighter than the DA pull, but heavier than the SA pull. Averages around 6-7lb from what I have seen. While the trigger pull is not as long or hard as a DA pull, they are still considered safe when combined with trigger safeties. But generally, the trigger pull will never be as good as a DA/SA's SA pull. (without trigger work, and then a DA/SA with trigger work will most likely be better still)

Thats how I understand it anyway.

Last edited by marine6680; November 26, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
WVsig

Boxers or briefs.... or Both....
Old November 26, 2012, 09:42 PM   #6
treg

Ruger SR9 / 40 = best of both worlds. Thumb safety for those who like them and a nice trigger. My SR40c has REALLY smoothed out after about 1K rounds and some dry fire. It is a joy to shoot and very accurate.

Some M&P models also feature a thumb safety.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:47 AM   #7
drail

I'm not buying that a SR 40 is a "joy to shoot". Unless you're really really into snappy recoil.
Old November 27, 2012, 06:48 PM   #8
marine6680

I always liked shooting 40's...

I'm more accurate with my CZ in 40 than my CZ in 9mm. I'm not too much slower on follow up shots with the 40 either. (though the 9mm is definitely easier to shoot quickly)

Had a SA XD in 40 that I enjoyed as well.

My fiance really disliked the 40 when she first started shooting, so we picked her up the 9mm. With more practice she has started to like the 40, but no where near as much as the 9mm... but it could also be the fact that the 9mm is "her gun".

I never really pay much attention to the recoil of pistols in 9mm, 40, or 45. I have to shoot them back to back to really feel the difference.

A snubbie 357 or 44mag will get my attention, but I don't dislike them.

I've shot many guns, and some that kicked like a mule, and always enjoyed it, though I might only enjoyed it in moderation.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:17 PM   #9
USA SHARK

I agree with you Marine..... I can tell a slight difference between a 9mm and my SR40 if I shoot them back to back, but when I'm only shooting the SR40, I don't think it has an excessively snappy recoil at all. And of all the guns we tried before settling on the XDm 9mm for my wife, the SR40 seemed to be the most accurate for both of us. Even my wife had a pretty tight pattern with it, even though she doesn't really like to shoot it.

I had a chance to shoot a .500 caliber with a 4" barrel last weekend. Nothing seems too snappy after shooting that beast! They wouldn't let us even shoot it in the handgun range, we had to move to the rifle range. I wouldn't want to practice with that every day!
Old November 27, 2012, 10:13 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

I've got a SR9 and I really enjoy it. I CC OTB and have it riding high. When I am also "older" and have had experience with the 1911 (as well as revolvers). I like the option of having the safety on the striker fired. Carrying, it is off but I make my own holsters and I always make them so the trigger is fully covered. I find it fun to shoot and I guess ist's just a case of getting used to whatever you are using.

I also had a Bersa .380 Thunder CC model that I purchased used. I liked it fromthe standpoint of the decocker and the DA/SA. However, the previous owner had evidently done some trigger work on it and after the first round in DA, when it went to SA, the trigger pull was waaaaaay too light. Several times at the range I had unintentional double taps it was that sensitive. I ended up trading it off. At some point though, I'll probably get another. I like the idea of the first round in DA and then changing over to SA, especially in a SD situation.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63